PhotoShop still not seeing .jpeg’s!!!!!!!

J
Posted By
JAT
Jan 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My problem was this. I have a large file on my computer containing images in ..jpeg format. When I clicked on an image in the past it opened in Internet Explorer which is how I wanted it. After re-installing PhotoShop 5.5 due to a system problem, I found that all these images had changed in the folder from the normal windows jpeg style, white page containing gold frame blue brush etc, to the Adobe style, folder with eye and jpeg in the top left hand corner. When I clicked on one now to open it opened in PhotoShop instead of IE.

When I open ‘My Computer’ and check in view, folder options, file types I find that jpeg images are shown with the windows style file illustration, white page containing gold frame blue brush etc, and they are set to open with Internet Explorer. So were they not being opened because IE didn’t recognise them due to some change made by PhotoShop?

I un-installed PhotoShop to see what would happen. When I checked the files in the folder I found that they no longer had the windows style file illustration and had changed from .jpeg to .jpg. I didn’t think this should make a difference as it is two ways of expressing the same thing, but when I clicked on one to see if it would open in IE, nothing happened. I used a small program I have to select all these files and change them back to ..jpeg. They now had the normal windows style file illustration and when I clicked on one it opened as usual in IE.

I now re-installed PhotoShop and then checked the folder to see if the file illustrations had changed as they did before, they hadn’t. Great! In PhotoShop I clicked on open navigated to the folder in question made sure all formats was selected but there was nothing in the folder according to PhotoShop! I changed ‘all formats’ to ‘jpeg’ but still nothing showed up. I clicked on ‘Open As’, selected jpeg and all the files were now visible, and could be opened in PhotoShop. My question is why will they not open or even appear when I use the ‘Open’ command, yet open without a problem using the ‘Open As’ command? I hope someone has an answer to this as it’s driving me nuts.

Alex

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Jon
Jul 6, 2005
"JAT" said

My problem was this. I have a large file on my computer containing images in .jpeg format. When I clicked on an image in the past it opened in Internet Explorer which is how I wanted it. After re-installing PhotoShop 5.5 due to a system problem, I found that all these images had changed in the folder from the normal windows jpeg style, white page containing gold frame blue brush etc, to the Adobe style, folder with eye and jpeg in the top left hand corner. When I clicked on one now to open it opened in PhotoShop instead of IE.

When I open ‘My Computer’ and check in view, folder options, file types I find that jpeg images are shown with the windows style file illustration, white page containing gold frame blue brush etc, and they are set to open with Internet Explorer. So were they not being opened because IE didn’t recognise them due to some change made by PhotoShop?

I un-installed PhotoShop to see what would happen. When I checked the files in the folder I found that they no longer had the windows style file illustration and had changed from .jpeg to .jpg. I didn’t think this should make a difference as it is two ways of expressing the same thing, but when I clicked on one to see if it would open in IE, nothing happened. I used a small program I have to select all these files and change them back to .jpeg. They now had the normal windows style file illustration and when I clicked on one it opened as usual in IE.

I now re-installed PhotoShop and then checked the folder to see if the file illustrations had changed as they did before, they hadn’t. Great! In PhotoShop I clicked on open navigated to the folder in question made sure all formats was selected but there was nothing in the folder according to PhotoShop! I changed ‘all formats’ to ‘jpeg’ but still nothing showed up. I clicked on ‘Open As’, selected jpeg and all the files were now visible, and could be opened in PhotoShop. My question is why will they not open or even appear when I use the ‘Open’ command, yet open without a problem using the ‘Open As’ command? I hope someone has an answer to this as it’s driving me nuts.

Alex

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections