J
Posted By
JAT
Jan 24, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently had to re-install PhotoShop v5.5. Now every time I click to open a .jpeg image file it opens in PhotoShop, when they used to open in Internet Explorer. I want them to open in I.E. as they always did. In My Computer/View/Folder options/ File types >JPEG’s are shown as a white page containing a gold frame with a blue brush etc, yet all my .JPEG files now appear as a folder with an eye and JPEG in the top left hand corner. Also in My Computer/View/Folder options/ File types >JPEG’s are shown to open with IEXPLORE, yet they still open in PhotoShop rather than Internet Explorer. Any idea what could be wrong here?

Alex

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
birdman
Jan 25, 2005
What version of Windows do you use?
In WIndows XP the easiest way to try to change file associations is to right click on the file and go down to "open program with" and when the choice box comes up click on the program you want and the box that says "always" use this program to open that type of file.
Unfortunately this is a Microsoft program and may not work as it is supposed to; some file associations are stuck or get hijacked by particular programs that can be used with them.
C
Corey
Jan 25, 2005
"bmoag" wrote in message
In WIndows XP the easiest way to try to change file associations is to
right
click on the file and go down to "open program with" and when the choice
box
comes up click on the program you want and the box that says "always" use this program to open that type of file.
Unfortunately this is a Microsoft program and may not work as it is
supposed
to; some file associations are stuck or get hijacked by particular
programs
that can be used with them.

The other option is to go directly into Folder Options > File Types and click on the File Type header to arrange alphabetically. Then scroll down to JPEG and click on "Change" to change the program it normally opens with.

Bmoag offers a much faster solution. I recently had to use this method to change the preferred program for many types of files from my trial version of Elements to Photoshop. When I downloaded the trial version of Elements, it sneaked in as the default program for many files I’d rather open with Photoshop. For some reason, (my now-expired) Elements doesn’t show up in my "add/remove program" list to uninstall. Weird.

Peadge 🙂
J
JAT
Jan 25, 2005
I’m using Windows 98. I’ve been to Folder Options > File Types and scrolled down to .jpeg and the program listed as being used to open it is IEXPLORE. The jpeg folder illustrated here is the windows style whereas PhotoShop appears to have changed all my jpeg’s to PhotoShop ones, i.e. the eye folder with jpeg in the top left hand corner. I’ve un-installed PhotoShop, again, and will see what happens when I re-install it. Never had these problems with PaintShop Pro!

Alex

"Peadge" wrote in message
"bmoag" wrote in message
In WIndows XP the easiest way to try to change file associations is to
right
click on the file and go down to "open program with" and when the choice
box
comes up click on the program you want and the box that says "always"
use
this program to open that type of file.
Unfortunately this is a Microsoft program and may not work as it is
supposed
to; some file associations are stuck or get hijacked by particular
programs
that can be used with them.

The other option is to go directly into Folder Options > File Types and click on the File Type header to arrange alphabetically. Then scroll down
to
JPEG and click on "Change" to change the program it normally opens with.
2Shy
Mar 5, 2005
The only thing I can think of is that there is more than one entry for JPEG files in the View>Folder Options>File types menu. On my computer, there are JPE, JPEG, and JPG file types and they’re all set to open in Photoshop. If I wanted one of them to open in IE, I change the association like you already know how to do. So…view the extensions of your JPEG files in Explorer and make sure that the extension of your JPEG files (let’s say it’s JPEG, but it could very well be JPG or JPE) is set to open with IE in the File types menu.
"JAT" wrote in message
I recently had to re-install PhotoShop v5.5. Now every time I click to open a .jpeg image file it opens in PhotoShop, when they used to open in Internet
Explorer. I want them to open in I.E. as they always did. In My Computer/View/Folder options/ File types >JPEG’s are shown as a white page containing a gold frame with a blue brush etc, yet all my .JPEG files now appear as a folder with an eye and JPEG in the top left hand corner. Also in
My Computer/View/Folder options/ File types >JPEG’s are shown to open with IEXPLORE, yet they still open in PhotoShop rather than Internet Explorer. Any idea what could be wrong here?

Alex

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections