LK
Posted By
Leen Koper
Aug 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I selected part of an image and wanted everyting outside this selection to be white. So I inversed the selection, Chose the paint bucket with white as the fill colour, setting at 100%. Nevertheless it didnot fill the selection as a whole, but some irregular spots of the background were left dark.

Where did I go wrong?

Leen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Aug 19, 2003
Leen – the paint bucket doesn’t do quite what i might have expected from using similar tools in other programs – it doesn’t fill a selection, it fills only an area that is "similar’ in colour to the pixels you click on. Presumably there were a few areas that weren’t quite similar enough in the area that you selected.

The fill command (under the edit menu) I think does what you want. Susan S.
TB
Terry Boyles
Aug 19, 2003
Leen,

When I want to do something similar to what you are doing I use a color fill layer. This way it is simple to change opacity or color later if so desired.

Terry
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 20, 2003
I tried twice to respond to this on the website and the messages didn’t get posted; will try via newsreader, not because I have a lot to add but because I’m trying to determine what happened to my web answers.

Leen, with the Paint Bucket tool, if you set the tolerance on its toolbar to maximum (255) it should fill everything in the selection. That being said, I agree with Susan on Edit>Fill and with Terry on using the Color Fill Layer.

Chuck

p.s. If I wind up with multiple similar messages, I apologize…
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 20, 2003
Leen,

You were probably trying to apply the bucket to a layer with image pixels on it.

You may want to try doing your selecting/bucket(ing?) on a transparent layer over your image. That way, there are no pixels present on the layer for the bucket to "tolerate". (I’m making up these terms as I go…)

Byron
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 20, 2003
other cool uses for paint bucket other than fill;

set tolerance to default 32
on screen right click and chose a different blend mode.

For a sky filled with stars in one click chose white>disolve>low opacity.

For brightning an area chose screen, play with opacity
to darken an area chose multiply
for freeky fun chose ‘difference’

anyways,…you get my drift. Opacity is key with most of these options to add special effects to images.

other options to fill

Alt + backspace > fills with foreground color
Ctrl + Backspace fills with background color
P
Phosphor
Aug 20, 2003
Useful tips Jodi, Thanks
susan
TB
Terry Boyles
Aug 20, 2003
Jodi,

This is why I have so many bookmarks!!

Terry 😎
LK
Leen Koper
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks to all of you!
I hardly know where to start. 😉

Leen
KA
Katherine Atkins
Sep 2, 2003
OK I give up. Where did they hide the paint bucket tool in 7.0 for Windows?
HS
Henry Skinner
Sep 2, 2003
with the gradiant tool.
P
Phosphor
Sep 3, 2003
Right where your manual and quick reference card show it to be.
FA
Frank_Arvan
Nov 24, 2003
I have Photoshop 7.0.1 on Windows XP and the paint bucket does not show up in the tool bar. Where is it? Anybody Know?
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 24, 2003
Under the gradient tool.

Bob
FA
Frank_Arvan
Nov 24, 2003
Thanks.
S
Scudo
Jun 20, 2005
(photoshop 6.0) when I use paint bucket to fill in the background the following happens….

If I set the tolerance too low it just fills very small amounts and if I set high I get ragged edges and have to spend time retouching the edges. As I use this feature a lot for web pictures
(a photo of an item with just a white background) I was wonderering if there is a better way to do this or how to achieve a better result.

thanks for any input
Juco
S
SamMan
Jun 20, 2005
"Scudo" wrote in message
(photoshop 6.0) when I use paint bucket to fill in the background the following happens….

If I set the tolerance too low it just fills very small amounts and if I set high I get ragged edges and have to spend time retouching the edges. As
I use this feature a lot for web pictures
(a photo of an item with just a white background) I was wonderering if there is a better way to do this or how to achieve a better result.
thanks for any input
Juco

Simply put, the paint bucket is not intended to fill your entire work area with a solid color. Use Edit > Fill…, or Alt + Backspace for foreground color, and Ctrl + Backspace for background color.

SamMan
Rip it to reply
T
Tacit
Jun 20, 2005
In article <hmvte.15660$>,
"Scudo" wrote:

If I set the tolerance too low it just fills very small amounts and if I set high I get ragged edges and have to spend time retouching the edges. As I use this feature a lot for web pictures

That is correct.

One of the most basic mistakes people make when learning Photoshp is thinking that the Paint bucket is a fill tool.

The paint bucket is not a fill tool. You should not use it when your goal is just to fill an area with color. in Photoshop, you fill an area with color by holding down the Option key on your keyboard and pressing the Delete key, or by using the Edit->Fill command, not by using the Paint Bucket. in fact, when you get proficient with Photoshop, you will probably never touch the Paint Bucket again.

The Paint Bucket is intended as a cross between the Fill command and the Magic Wand tool. When you use it, it analyzes the color of the pixel you click on. Then it spreads out in all directions, filling as it goes, until it reaches a place where the pixels are a different color, where it stops. It does precisly the same thing as if you had clicked with the Magic Wand, then used Edit->Fill. It is not used just to fill an area with color.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
S
Scudo
Jun 21, 2005
thanks for your help

"Tacit" wrote in message
In article <hmvte.15660$>,
"Scudo" wrote:

If I set the tolerance too low it just fills very small amounts and if
I
set high I get ragged edges and have to spend time retouching the edges.
As
I use this feature a lot for web pictures

That is correct.

One of the most basic mistakes people make when learning Photoshp is thinking that the Paint bucket is a fill tool.

The paint bucket is not a fill tool. You should not use it when your goal is just to fill an area with color. in Photoshop, you fill an area with color by holding down the Option key on your keyboard and pressing the Delete key, or by using the Edit->Fill command, not by using the Paint Bucket. in fact, when you get proficient with Photoshop, you will probably never touch the Paint Bucket again.

The Paint Bucket is intended as a cross between the Fill command and the Magic Wand tool. When you use it, it analyzes the color of the pixel you click on. Then it spreads out in all directions, filling as it goes, until it reaches a place where the pixels are a different color, where it stops. It does precisly the same thing as if you had clicked with the Magic Wand, then used Edit->Fill. It is not used just to fill an area with color.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections