WR
Posted By
Werner Reisacher
Aug 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to print my B&W pictures in a sepia tone. Does anybody have experience in this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
JuergenDirrigl
Aug 17, 2003
It’s right here: Raymond Robillard, "Sepia tones-help a newbie,please !!!!" #2, 17 Aug 2003 4:10 am </cgi-bin/webx?50/1>

Ray, I think Search is not working yet…

Juergen
J
JuergenDirrigl
Aug 17, 2003
Leen,

Did you actually edit after you posted? If so, how did you do it??

Juergen
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Aug 17, 2003
Leen Koper wrote:
The easiest way to produce a sepia tone:
create a new copy layer of your RGB image, go to Layer Styles and choose Sepia.

Leen, isn’t that for Photoshop? In Elements, I don’t think there is a Sepia style. I can’t say for sure, though, because for some reason, I can never access that. It’s always greyed out and I can’t select anything in that menu (except for hide/show all effects, or copy and clear). Anyway, I’m pretty sure I remember reading here that the sepia style is in Photoshop only, and that in Elements you have to fake it (or maybe I dreamed that up).
R
Ray
Aug 17, 2003
Vicky,

Sepia is indeed on Elements 2.0, under the Effects palette.

Ray
LK
Leen Koper
Aug 18, 2003
Ray, you are right. It is under the Effects palette.

If you aren’t quite satisfied with this "ready made" sepia colour, use the hue slider and adapt the colour to your personal taste. Quick and easy.

Leen
R
Ray
Aug 18, 2003
That is why I suggested this method on another thread. Creating an adjustment layer for this picture ensures that, if you don’t like the printed result, you can go back and change it 😉

Ray
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 18, 2003
Ray forgive me if you already posted this somewhere;

Basic Sepia tone>hue/saturation adjustment layer:

hue=30
sat=25
B
bluegaga
Aug 18, 2003
Ray and Vickie…I have the Sepia (PSE2) under Layer Styles…Photographic Effects. But it is not too successful whith photos I have tried it on.

Put "Sepia" in the search on PSE (somewhere across the top) and it will bring up Hints… and walk you step by step through a way to do sepia where you have some control. Or just go through your Hints list and find it. Dorothy
P
Phosphor
Aug 19, 2003
And if you want yet another way to turn things sepia….add a gradient mask adjustment layer and set up a gradient which runs from a very dark brown or black on the lefthand side and up through browns to white. Ths allows all sorts of colourising and sepia tones, with a great deal of colour and tone flexibility depending on the gradient used – duo, tri and multi tones from the subtle to the garish. It’s one of my favorite toys in Elements. You can just save the gradients to load for other images.

Susan S
CR
Chris Rankin
Aug 20, 2003
Or you could try this: after converting to rgb, go to Enhance > Adjust Color > Color variations then Midtones >Increase red (one click)>decrease blue (one click)

You can play with it from there to get the color you’re looking for.

CR
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Aug 20, 2003
Ray wrote:
Vicky,

Sepia is indeed on Elements 2.0, under the Effects palette.

OK, I’ve spent days looking for sepia, of any kind, on my system, and it isn’t there. Not under the effects palette, and not even in the help. The *only* mentioning of the word sepia in the help is under conte crayon, whatever that is. I’m using Elements 2.0 for OSX. Is it possible that those of you who have sepia under the effects palette are using a slightly different version from me, or that perhaps you’ve installed some addon that you’ve forgotten about? I’m using a completely unmodified installation (i.e. no addons whatsoever).

I wish I could remember for sure, but I’m fairly certain that I read here, some time back, that Elements does not do sepia by default, and that you have to fake it.
PD
Pete D
Aug 20, 2003
Vicky,

I believe you are correct that Elements does not have sepia. Maybe Ray will read this and tell us where he got it because I do not have it either.

Pete
DS
Dick Smith
Aug 20, 2003
Not speaking for Ray, but I got mine as part of the Shipley add-on package.

Byron,

I agree it is in the Extra Menu of the Effects palette.

Dick
Using M2(although not necessaryily committed to it!), Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
VS
Vince Staffo
Aug 20, 2003
On my Photoshop Elements 2 the Sepia Tone is located under layer styles then photographic effects, along with other tones!

Vince

"Dick Smith" wrote in message
Not speaking for Ray, but I got mine as part of the Shipley add-on package.

Byron,

I agree it is in the Extra Menu of the Effects palette.

Dick
Using M2(although not necessaryily committed to it!), Opera’s
revolutionary
e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
DS
Dick Smith
Aug 20, 2003
Vince,

I just looked and I see the Sepia layer style to which you refer. It is interesting how the word "sepia" carries so many different color tones.

There is a very distinctive difference in coloration between the layer style and the Shipley Sepia Effect.

Shipley’s effect creates a hue/saturation mask over the image, whereas the PSE Layer Style creates just the overall tone without being able to edit it.

Interesting…..

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
MM
Mac McDougald
Aug 20, 2003
I assure you that Elements 2 has a sepia effect included; it’s under Layer Styles/Photographic Effects, as found in the palette well.

I have not installed anyone’s add-on effects.

The effect is too "orange" IMHO, however.

Mac
PD
Pete D
Aug 20, 2003
I assure you that Elements 2 has a sepia effect included; it’s under Layer Styles/Photographic Effects, as found in the palette well.

And sure enough it is there. Thanks Mac… for clearing this up.

Pete
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Aug 20, 2003
Pete D wrote:

And sure enough it is there. Thanks Mac… for clearing this up.

Yes, I found it too. Thanks! I feel so blind. 😉 I was looking in entirely the wrong area.

(BTW I played with it and it doesn’t seem too orange to me, but people always tell me that my colour perception is different – oh well)
PD
Pete D
Aug 20, 2003
Vicky,

I think someone said it was in "effects" and threw us off 🙂 But that is probably a different sepia tool.

Pete
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Aug 21, 2003
Pete D wrote:
Vicky,

I think someone said it was in "effects" and threw us off 🙂 But that is probably a different sepia tool.

Yes, some people probably have some long forgotten addons.

Vicky
(on holidays now so *finally* and I mean *finally* getting a chance to really play with this program, which I’ve now had for months)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections