S
Posted By
Starband
Jul 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know a good starting point for locating a "guruish", independant Photoshop instructor? I’m working with a company that will be setting up a software training facility and some of their early research indicates that basic to intermediate Photoshop with an emphasis on digital photography would be a well received course.

With or without course material– primarily east coast (D.C. area) to start.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LN
Linda Nieuwenstein
Jul 26, 2003
"Starband" wrote in message
Does anyone know a good starting point for locating a "guruish",
independant
Photoshop instructor? I’m working with a company that will be setting up a software training facility and some of their early research indicates that basic to intermediate Photoshop with an emphasis on digital photography would be a well received course.

With or without course material– primarily east coast (D.C. area) to
start.

hmm, well he is not "guruish" his is a guru, and unfortunately for you living in Colorado, but he could probably put you in touch with someone in your area that he feels is up to par for training people. He is Ben Willmore, who is not just a guy that knows Photoshop inside out, but also a guy who is down to earth enough to relay that information for others to learn from. No fluff, not bluff, Ben is definitely at the top of my list for quality trainers in PS. I will not put his email here for ethical reasons, but his web site, which you can contact him through is
http://www.digitalmastery.com.

Katrin Eismann is the best I have seen for using PS to restore old photographs, and correct more recent shots. She too is able to get her expertise across in a comfortable manner. You can contact her via her web site at http://www.photoshopdiva.com

Take care,
Linda.
S
Starband
Jul 28, 2003
Thanks, Linda!

Having taken and taught a number of classes myself (not PS), I’ve always found that the depth of one’s knowledge, especially w/ mid-level courses, is not nearly as important as the ability to– in your words– "relay that information for others to learn from". Perhaps that’s why typically programmers make terrible trainers. <s>

I’ll look into both names you mentioned.

Thanks again.

"Linda Nieuwenstein" wrote in message
independant
Photoshop instructor? I’m working with a company that will be setting up
a
software training facility and some of their early research indicates
that
basic to intermediate Photoshop with an emphasis on digital photography would be a well received course.

start.

hmm, well he is not "guruish" his is a guru, and unfortunately for you living in Colorado, but he could probably put you in touch with someone in your area that he feels is up to par for training people. He is Ben Willmore, who is not just a guy that knows Photoshop inside out, but also
a
guy who is down to earth enough to relay that information for others to learn from. No fluff, not bluff, Ben is definitely at the top of my list
for
quality trainers in PS. I will not put his email here for ethical reasons, but his web site, which you can contact him through is

Katrin Eismann is the best I have seen for using PS to restore old photographs, and correct more recent shots. She too is able to get her expertise across in a comfortable manner. You can contact her via her web site at http://www.photoshopdiva.com

Take care,
Linda.

S
Starband
Jul 28, 2003
Hey– flip away! <s>

We are looking at some of the obvious sources such as those you mentioned, but I often find that word of mouth works better. I also think that some of the best candidates are not actively looking for assignments, but would consider something if it came along.

For example, in my area (upstate NY) the best local contractors (carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc.) never advertise–they don’t have to. You have to hunt them down and make a case as to why they should consider working on your job! Weird, ‘ay?

Thanks for the input.

"jrzyguy" wrote in message
im NOT being flippant here….but why not try the obvious by putting ads
in
monster (or the like) or in the newspaper. Working here in nyc i am
always
scouring the papers and job boards for photoshop ads and the such.

independant
Photoshop instructor? I’m working with a company that will be setting
up
a
that
basic to intermediate Photoshop with an emphasis on digital
photography
would be a well received course.

start.

hmm, well he is not "guruish" his is a guru, and unfortunately for you living in Colorado, but he could probably put you in touch with someone
in
your area that he feels is up to par for training people. He is Ben Willmore, who is not just a guy that knows Photoshop inside out, but
also
a
guy who is down to earth enough to relay that information for others to learn from. No fluff, not bluff, Ben is definitely at the top of my list
for
quality trainers in PS. I will not put his email here for ethical
reasons,
but his web site, which you can contact him through is

Katrin Eismann is the best I have seen for using PS to restore old photographs, and correct more recent shots. She too is able to get her expertise across in a comfortable manner. You can contact her via her
web
site at http://www.photoshopdiva.com

Take care,
Linda.

O
onemore
Jul 29, 2003
If you are looking for "name brand" instructors, consider Barry Haynes (and co-authors) of the Photoshop Artistry series books. The books are almost written like verbatim from his workshop, so they may give you a hint.

If you are looking for someone to teach PS for photographers, hire one who has been a traditional photographer with darkroom experience. The students are likely to have a similar background and may be interested in learning how to transfer their traditional skills to the PS techniques. Willmore’s books, like many others, do not suggest that he’s a photographer. Their examples and tutorials are not based on actual photographs, while Haynes’ and Eismann’s are.

Starband wrote:
Thanks, Linda!

Having taken and taught a number of classes myself (not PS), I’ve always found that the depth of one’s knowledge, especially w/ mid-level courses, is not nearly as important as the ability to– in your words– "relay that information for others to learn from". Perhaps that’s why typically programmers make terrible trainers. <s>

I’ll look into both names you mentioned.

Thanks again.

independant
Photoshop instructor? I’m working with a company that will be setting up
a
that
basic to intermediate Photoshop with an emphasis on digital photography would be a well received course.

start.

hmm, well he is not "guruish" his is a guru, and unfortunately for you living in Colorado, but he could probably put you in touch with someone in your area that he feels is up to par for training people. He is Ben Willmore, who is not just a guy that knows Photoshop inside out, but also
a
for
quality trainers in PS. I will not put his email here for ethical reasons, but his web site, which you can contact him through is

Take care,
Linda.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections