Regarding tablets and Photoshop illustration…

M
Posted By
Mitleid
Nov 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve decided to re-evaluate my life and get back into art and illustration, and I’ve decided to give the digital medium a shot. Thus, it looks like the best and most affordable way for me to creep back into is to pick up a pressure sensitive tablet (aside from shelling out a lot more for a tablet PC or something…)

Anyways, I just wanted to get the opinion of any and all professional or serious illustrators here (cartoonining, graphic design, etc.) and see what the deal is with these tablets, anyway. Are they as effective as they look at getting your vision from paper to screen? The method I suspect I’ll use is pencil sketch, scan in, then ink and color with Photoshop. For starters, anyway. I’m sure I’ll have to adjust my techniques as I go along, but baby steps first…

BTW, I know what I’m getting myself into, I think. Hehehehe. I feel I have some pretty acceptable talent and potential as an artist, I just have no idea of what to expect when it comes to translating my work into a digital format, so I wanted to get some input from all the talented and seasoned folks out there. TIA.

-Mitleid

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

X
Xalinai
Nov 25, 2004
Mitleid wrote:

I’ve decided to re-evaluate my life and get back into art and illustration, and I’ve decided to give the digital medium a shot. Thus, it looks like the best and most affordable way for me to creep back into is to pick up a pressure sensitive tablet (aside from shelling out a lot more for a tablet PC or something…)
Anyways, I just wanted to get the opinion of any and all professional or serious illustrators here (cartoonining, graphic design, etc.) and see what the deal is with these tablets, anyway. Are they as effective as they look at getting your vision from paper to screen? The method I suspect I’ll use is pencil sketch, scan in, then ink and color with Photoshop. For starters, anyway. I’m sure I’ll have to adjust my techniques as I go along, but baby steps first…
BTW, I know what I’m getting myself into, I think. Hehehehe. I feel I have some pretty acceptable talent and potential as an artist, I just have no idea of what to expect when it comes to translating my work into a digital format, so I wanted to get some input from all the talented and seasoned folks out there. TIA.

-Mitleid

Using a tablet, you could omit the first two steps and draw directly in PS once you get used to move the hand in one place and see the line somewhere else.

If you want to do so, using a larger tablet can help to shorten the accomodation time.

Michael
C
coz
Dec 17, 2004
Hello,
GET THE WACOM TABLET! The better solution is, as you said , a pen tablet, the problem is that the only two companies worth looking at are motion computing and elctroviya for their pen tablets. Iam sure I didn’t spell eletroviya correctly.
None the less, get a wacom tablet and draw, as the other guy said, directly onto the PC, or Mac. If you are not familiar with the touch of a wacom tablet it could take a few days to get used to it. I have known people who trashed their wacoms because they couldn’t handle them. But, if you have a little experience drawing, there shouldn’t be a long self training period. Once you get used to it, YOU WILL NOT GO BACK TO A MOUSE. i should also mention that a program named "Sensiva" is an absolutly great program if you have a wacom tablet. They were made for eachother. Although I know that mocrsoft has a new program that does similar things but is only available on the tablet PC.
Coz
"Xalinai" wrote in message
Mitleid wrote:

-Mitleid

Using a tablet, you could omit the first two steps and draw directly in PS once you get used to move the hand in one place and see the line somewhere else.

If you want to do so, using a larger tablet can help to shorten the accomodation time.

Michael

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections