D
Posted By
duckie74NOSPAM
Oct 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m new to Photo editing and definitely need some help. I have a photo that I’d like to print an 8×10 of. The photo is very high resolution. I went online to Target and uploaded the photo to them to have it print. It showed that my photo did not fit their 8×10 measurements so a few modifications would need to be made. Basically, there’s some wording on the bottom of the photo that gets cut off. The photo will be used for promotional purposes, so I need to adjust the image without losing the quality or wording.

I have Photoshop CS, but I’m a newbie and can’t figure out what to do. I’ve tried resizing the photo using Image -> Resize but don’t know the proper settings to get everything to fit onto an 8×10. It seems like whatever I use still shows the same result when I upload it to Target’s web page. I didn’t think it’d be this tricky in PS, but I’m lost.

When I view it as a print preview w/in CS, it seems like it should fit, but as I don’t have a good printer, I can’t try it. Is there any way of seeing how it truly will appear as CS is showing it fits, but Target’s photo web service is showing it won’t.

Looks like my photo is 3024×2016. If anyone has any ideas on what to do, I’d truly appreciate it.

TIA!
(remove NOSPAM from email addy to reply privately)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
Corey
Oct 24, 2004
The problem you’re having is you have an image that is 10.08 inches by 6.72 inches and you want to be 10 inches by 8 inches. To do this, you will have to expand the size of the image so the 6.72 dimension is 8 inches. But this will cause the other dimension to grow also and some of that will have to be cropped. Another solution would be to reduce the size of the image so the 10.08 size is 10 inches. Then you’re left with the blank area on each side of the narrow side which is now 6 and 2/3rds inches. If part of the image can be cropped, the first method may work best. If none of the image can be sacrificed, then you may want to use Photoshop to add something to the blank area. This can be text, texture, color, or a host of other things your imagination can come up with.

Peadge 🙂

"K. Daver" wrote in message
I’m new to Photo editing and definitely need some help. I have a photo that I’d like to print an 8×10 of. The photo is very high resolution. I went online to Target and uploaded the photo to them to have it print. It showed that my photo did not fit their 8×10 measurements so a few modifications would need to be made. Basically, there’s some wording on the bottom of the photo that gets cut off. The photo will be used for promotional purposes, so I need to adjust the image without losing the quality or wording.

I have Photoshop CS, but I’m a newbie and can’t figure out what to do. I’ve tried resizing the photo using Image -> Resize but don’t know the proper settings to get everything to fit onto an 8×10. It seems like whatever I use still shows the same result when I upload it to Target’s web page. I didn’t think it’d be this tricky in PS, but I’m lost.
When I view it as a print preview w/in CS, it seems like it should fit, but as I don’t have a good printer, I can’t try it. Is there any way of seeing how it truly will appear as CS is showing it fits, but Target’s photo web service is showing it won’t.

Looks like my photo is 3024×2016. If anyone has any ideas on what to do, I’d truly appreciate it.

TIA!
D
duckie74NOSPAM
Oct 24, 2004
Peadge,

Thanks! I can actually get a copy of the photo without the words at the bottom. Would it be easier to do it without the wording, get the image reduced (again, how?) and add the words in later?

I’m just confused at how to actually reduce the image itself as when I’ve done it, it still appears to be the same (so, I’m assuming that I’m not doing it correctly).

Thanks again!

Peadge wrote:

The problem you’re having is you have an image that is 10.08 inches by 6.72 inches and you want to be 10 inches by 8 inches. To do this, you will have to expand the size of the image so the 6.72 dimension is 8 inches. But this will cause the other dimension to grow also and some of that will have to be cropped. Another solution would be to reduce the size of the image so the 10.08 size is 10 inches. Then you’re left with the blank area on each side of the narrow side which is now 6 and 2/3rds inches. If part of the image can be cropped, the first method may work best. If none of the image can be sacrificed, then you may want to use Photoshop to add something to the blank area. This can be text, texture, color, or a host of other things your imagination can come up with.

Peadge 🙂

TIA!

C
Corey
Oct 24, 2004
Try this. Make a new file that is 8 inches by 10 inches at 300 ppi (2400 x 3000 pixels), which I think is the resolution you’re using. Then drag your image into this new window, holding the SHFT key as you do to center it. Now press CTRL+T or go to Edit >Transform > Scale. A bounding box appears around the image which is where you make the adjustments. Remember though, you should always try to maintain proportion which means changing the height and width equally. To do this just hold down your SHFT key and grab one of the corners with your cursor. Now you can expand or contract the image to your liking.

On the down side, Photoshop will "play" with your pixels a bit, in that it will try to interpret the new dimensions by changing the pixels to correspond to the new size. This shouldn’t pose much of a problem for the tiny bit of altering you’re doing.

Adding in the text in a new layer would work just fine.

Peadge 🙂

Peadge,

Thanks! I can actually get a copy of the photo without the words at the bottom. Would it be easier to do it without the wording, get the image reduced (again, how?) and add the words in later?

I’m just confused at how to actually reduce the image itself as when I’ve done it, it still appears to be the same (so, I’m assuming that I’m not doing it correctly).

Thanks again!

Peadge wrote:

The problem you’re having is you have an image that is 10.08 inches by

inches and you want to be 10 inches by 8 inches. To do this, you will
have
to expand the size of the image so the 6.72 dimension is 8 inches. But
this
will cause the other dimension to grow also and some of that will have
to be
cropped. Another solution would be to reduce the size of the image so
the
10.08 size is 10 inches. Then you’re left with the blank area on each
side
of the narrow side which is now 6 and 2/3rds inches. If part of the
can be cropped, the first method may work best. If none of the image can
be
sacrificed, then you may want to use Photoshop to add something to the
blank
area. This can be text, texture, color, or a host of other things your imagination can come up with.

Peadge 🙂

TIA!

D
duckie74NOSPAM
Oct 25, 2004
You are the best! Thanks… that seems to have done the trick. Appreciate it!!

Peadge wrote:

Try this. Make a new file that is 8 inches by 10 inches at 300 ppi (2400 x 3000 pixels), which I think is the resolution you’re using. Then drag your image into this new window, holding the SHFT key as you do to center it. Now press CTRL+T or go to Edit >Transform > Scale. A bounding box appears around the image which is where you make the adjustments. Remember though, you should always try to maintain proportion which means changing the height and width equally. To do this just hold down your SHFT key and grab one of the corners with your cursor. Now you can expand or contract the image to your liking.

On the down side, Photoshop will "play" with your pixels a bit, in that it will try to interpret the new dimensions by changing the pixels to correspond to the new size. This shouldn’t pose much of a problem for the tiny bit of altering you’re doing.

Adding in the text in a new layer would work just fine.

Peadge 🙂

Peadge,

Thanks again!

Peadge wrote:

The problem you’re having is you have an image that is 10.08 inches by

inches and you want to be 10 inches by 8 inches. To do this, you will

have

to expand the size of the image so the 6.72 dimension is 8 inches. But

this

will cause the other dimension to grow also and some of that will have

to be

cropped. Another solution would be to reduce the size of the image so

the

10.08 size is 10 inches. Then you’re left with the blank area on each

side

of the narrow side which is now 6 and 2/3rds inches. If part of the

can be cropped, the first method may work best. If none of the image can

be

sacrificed, then you may want to use Photoshop to add something to the

blank

area. This can be text, texture, color, or a host of other things your imagination can come up with.

Peadge 🙂

TIA!

BW
Bob Williams
Oct 25, 2004

K. Daver wrote:

TIA!

Your original image has an aspect ratio (width/height) of 1.50 An 8×10 has an aspect ratio of 1.25. So you will have to crop the image in some fashion.
The easiest way is to double click the crop tool and set the height and width to 8×10 and set the resolution to 300 pixels/inch. Drag the crop tool so it encloses the image, just the way you want it printed. The image will be Exactly 8×10 and 300 ppi. Send this to Target. Bob Williams
D
duckie74NOSPAM
Oct 25, 2004
Bob,

Terrific help. Thanks again!

Bob Williams wrote:
K. Daver wrote:

TIA!

Your original image has an aspect ratio (width/height) of 1.50 An 8×10 has an aspect ratio of 1.25. So you will have to crop the image in some fashion.
The easiest way is to double click the crop tool and set the height and width to 8×10 and set the resolution to 300 pixels/inch. Drag the crop tool so it encloses the image, just the way you want it printed. The image will be Exactly 8×10 and 300 ppi. Send this to Target. Bob Williams

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections