aka 717
Oct 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If you’re sending something as big as1G should you use
a VNP or whatever it’s called? My upload speed is 256K
but download is 5M on Cox Cable, something like that…

I guess a 5G file at 5M would take 1000 minutes, if it works at all. Is that right? Back to next day air, I guess. Let me know what you use and if it’s working. : -)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
Corey
Oct 23, 2004
A few months back I created a graphic for a 30" by 40" intended to be displayed at a booth at a national conference. I live near Seattle and the conference was in Houston. The file, when saved as a TIFF was 530 MB. However, if I saved the file as a PDF at the same 300 ppi resolution, the file was just under 20 MB. This was still too large to e-mail, even if I zipped it, since many ISPs have limits on e-mail file transfer sizes. So one of my options were to put the file on a CD and mail it, but this was unacceptable to the client who was leaving for Houston and would be gone before the CD arrived. So my solution was to place the PDF file on my server. I then created a HTML page with a link to the file. My client merely could go the page, right-click and "save target as…". The Kinko’s in Houston, where the poster was to be printed and mounted on foam board, was also able to download the file from the site, saving valuable time for my client.

I’ve heard of programs that divides the file smaller packets that can be re-assembled at the receiving end. Is that the VNP?

Peadge 🙂

"aka 717" wrote in message

I guess a 5G file at 5M would take 1000 minutes, if it works at all. Is that right? Back to next day air, I guess. Let me know what you use and if it’s working. : -)

A7
aka 717
Oct 25, 2004
"Peadge" wrote in message
A few months back I created a graphic for a 30" by 40" intended to be displayed at a booth at a national conference. I live near Seattle and the conference was in Houston. The file, when saved as a TIFF was 530 MB. However, if I saved the file as a PDF at the same 300 ppi resolution, the file was just under 20 MB. This was still too large to e-mail, even if I zipped it, since many ISPs have limits on e-mail file transfer sizes. So
one
of my options were to put the file on a CD and mail it, but this was unacceptable to the client who was leaving for Houston and would be gone before the CD arrived. So my solution was to place the PDF file on my server. I then created a HTML page with a link to the file. My client
merely
could go the page, right-click and "save target as…". The Kinko’s in Houston, where the poster was to be printed and mounted on foam board, was also able to download the file from the site, saving valuable time for my client.

I’ve heard of programs that divides the file smaller packets that can be re-assembled at the receiving end. Is that the VNP?

Peadge 🙂

"aka 717" wrote in message

Thanks for the suggestion. VNP is virtual private network where files are sent directly from one computer to another without going through an ISP, I think that’s the way it goes.

That program that breaks the files into chunks sounds good. I’m skeptical about the compression ratio you got with acrobat. It had to be lossy, I think. Zip files can break themselves into smaller chunks and then rearrange, but I was trying to save a step and some of the video I use can be pretty big.
K
km
Oct 25, 2004
That program that breaks the files into chunks sounds good. I’m skeptical about the compression ratio you got with acrobat. It had to be lossy, I think. Zip files can break themselves into smaller chunks and then rearrange, but I was trying to save a step and some of the video I use can be pretty big.

http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/download.html

or

MasterSplitter Version 3.5i.
at http://www.topdownloads.net/software/view.php?id=1169

may be of help

KM

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections