Peter
Nov 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using CS3
operating system Windows XP Professional
I have an image that I have done a lot of work on that I cannot convert from 16 bit to 8 bit. The bit conversion section is grayed out whenever this image is open. I tried closing and opening. I also tried CS2, without success.
Also, on this same image when I click on a layer the layer does not highlight unless I double click and get the layer options menu.

Does anyone have any suggestions.
I do not have this issue with other files.

TIA

Peter

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

KK
Kurt Knoll
Nov 15, 2007
Did have the same problem one time. Save it as jpg. do you work and save it as tiff again.

Kurt Knoll.

"Peter" wrote in message
Using CS3
I have an image that I have done a lot of work on that I cannot convert from 16 bit to 8 bit. The bit conversion section is grayed out whenever this image is open. I tried closing and opening. I also tried CS2, without success.
Also, on this same image when I click on a layer the layer does not highlight unless I double click and get the layer options menu.

TIA

Peter

P
Peter
Nov 15, 2007
Thanks, but saving as a tiff didn’t work and as far as I know, a 16 bit file cannot be saved as a jpg.

I came up with a work around: I copied the file, layer by layer to a new file. What a PITA, but I had to complete the project.

Peter

"Kurt Knoll" wrote in message
Did have the same problem one time. Save it as jpg. do you work and save it as tiff again.

Kurt Knoll.

"Peter" wrote in message
Using CS3

TIA

Peter

J
Joel
Nov 15, 2007
"Peter" wrote:

Using CS3

TIA

I just don’t see why not! I do it pretty often, but since I do in memory so I don’t remember all small steps (or exactly where to locate the command), so I may give wrong direction.

1. From the MENU where you can select "Level", "Curves" etc. you select "MODE" then change to "8-bit", "16-bit" and even "32-bit"

That’s it! you just select "8-bit" then you have it!

2. Now, just save and you have 8-bit image saved.
K
KatWoman
Nov 15, 2007
"Peter" wrote in message
Using CS3

TIA

Peter

is the image file "read only"????
try save as…
P
Peter
Nov 16, 2007
thanks tried everything. As I posted above, I copied all to a new file, layer by layer, and was then able to convert.

Peter

"KatWoman" wrote in message
"Peter" wrote in message
Using CS3

TIA

Peter

is the image file "read only"????
try save as…
N
noone
Nov 17, 2007
In article <473c3652$0$47126$>,
says…
Using CS3

TIA

Peter

Peter,

I’ve read down the thread, but have replied to the original. I also saw that you got what you needed, with some work. However, I have a question: did you try a Save_As to either another PSD or a TIFF? I work in 16bit and do all work, up to the point that I must go to 8bit, for either Filters, or for final output. Never have I seen the Mode>8bit greyed out. Could you do a Save_As, and if so, did it still refuse to allow Mode>8bit? Just curious.

Glad that you finally got out of the situation,

Hunt
B
Brian
Nov 17, 2007
"Peter" wrote in message
Thanks, but saving as a tiff didn’t work and as far as I know, a 16 bit file cannot be saved as a jpg.

I came up with a work around: I copied the file, layer by layer to a new file. What a PITA, but I had to complete the project.

Peter

Hi Peter,

as per others here, I have never seen the issue you describe If you have to rebuild a new file to get the end result, then have you tried using the command Image>Duplicate instead of creating a new file and copying all the layers across?

Best regards,
Brian.
J
Joel
Nov 17, 2007
(Hunt) wrote:

In article <473c3652$0$47126$>,
says…
Using CS3

TIA

Peter

Peter,

I’ve read down the thread, but have replied to the original. I also saw that you got what you needed, with some work. However, I have a question: did you try a Save_As to either another PSD or a TIFF? I work in 16bit and do all work, up to the point that I must go to 8bit, for either Filters, or for final output. Never have I seen the Mode>8bit greyed out. Could you do a Save_As, and if so, did it still refuse to allow Mode>8bit? Just curious.

Hunt

I have noticed one of the message mentioned he tried to save JPEG at 16-bit which is no-existing, but because he is top-posting so I won’t response to the message (cuz I just don’t like having conversation with topper).
P
Peter
Nov 17, 2007
"Hunt" wrote in message
Peter,

I’ve read down the thread, but have replied to the original. I also saw that
you got what you needed, with some work. However, I have a question: did you
try a Save_As to either another PSD or a TIFF? I work in 16bit and do all work, up to the point that I must go to 8bit, for either Filters, or for final
output. Never have I seen the Mode>8bit greyed out. Could you do a Save_As,
and if so, did it still refuse to allow Mode>8bit? Just curious.

Hunt

My workflow is similar to yours. I tried a "save as" both tiff and psd, with no luck. I also tried opening the file is CS2. In all cases I could not convert to 8 bit. There must have been something I did in the file. Strange problem.

Peter
P
Peter
Nov 17, 2007

Peter

"Brian" wrote in message
"Peter" wrote in message

Peter

Hi Peter,

as per others here, I have never seen the issue you describe If you have to rebuild a new file to get the end result, then have you tried using the command Image>Duplicate instead of creating a new file and copying all the layers across?

Best regards,
Brian.
P
Peter
Nov 17, 2007
"Brian" wrote in message
"Peter" wrote in message

Peter

Hi Peter,

Best regards,
Brian.

Thanks, but I did not think of that solution. Since I deleted the original file, I cannot try it.
Hope that was just an anomaly and none of us run into the issue.

Peter
P
Peter
Nov 17, 2007
"Joel" wrote in message

I have noticed one of the message mentioned he tried to save JPEG at 16-bit which is no-existing, but because he is top-posting so I won’t response to the message (cuz I just don’t like having conversation with topper).

I had hoped that my top posted message would be taken for what it was. But, as long as some of us are being picky, I didn’t say I tried to save as a JPEG.

However, I do appreciate the purpose of this group and will not get into a top vs. bottom posting discussion, or any other discussion that is not directly on point with improving user experience with PS.

Peter
N
noone
Nov 24, 2007
In article ,
says…
(Hunt) wrote:
[SNIP]

Joel,

I missed that one completely. Of course one cannot save a 16-bit image to JPG. Thanks for pointing this out.

Hunt

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections