CW
Posted By
Charles Wheeler37
Aug 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Elements 2.0 will not reopen pictures from my cd-rw. I can copy back into Elements 2 but any attempts to open the pictures or even rename them brings up the message that they are in Read Only. All attempts to change this Attribute is denied.
All pictures were copied to the disc from Elements and I have work remaining on many of them. Several were saved as psd files and the Flash Card from the camera has been copied over.
Why did Photoshop copy these pictures using this Attribute and how do I remove Read Only?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NS
Nancy S
Aug 12, 2003
Charles,

PSE didn’t do that, your CD burning software assigns a ‘Read Only’ attribute. I think the best way to go is to copy a file from the CD into a folder on your hard drive. If you are using Windows, open your browser, locate the file, right click it and choose ‘Properties’. UNcheck the ‘read only’ box.

CD-Rs are safer and more reliable to use. Another point is that often the CD-RW can only be read on the machine on which they are made.
PL
Paul L UK
Aug 13, 2003
Charles

What OS are you using ?

If it is XP, then writing in Elements would have used XP’s built in burner, which doesn’t ‘do’ CDRW (you can write to it and erase, but not change). Easier to write to Hard disk and copy over.

Paul
CW
Charles Wheeler37
Aug 13, 2003
Nancy and Paul,

Thanks for your replies.
I am waiting for a reply from Roxio to my letter-
"As was suggested, I can send copies of pictures from the disc to a Windows folder and remove the Read Only Attribute allowing me to rename or delete those pictures and I assume I can also copy to Elements from the Windows folder for further activity. But NOTHING can be changed on the disc! I can not delete unwanted pictures nor rename those pictures identified by the camera software with a number.
Is this what I can expect from a Read-Write disc?
Will I need to copy the entire disc to a Windows folder, delete the disc, make my changes and then copy back to a disc? To copy from the disc to Elements does not permit removal of the Read Only Attribute.
I am using Windows XP and I have recently upgraded Roxio, Adobe and Windows XP." Thank again and I will keep everyone informed.
PL
Paul L UK
Aug 13, 2003
Charles

May be a good idea to disable WinXP CD writing, and let Roxio do its stuff. XP can write to and erase a re-writable, and that’s it.
EasyCD can use drag & drop, erase etc, all the things you would expect of a RW disk.

To disable XP writing, open Explorer so that you can see your CDRW drive, right click on it, click on the recording tab and un-check the ‘enable CD recording’ box. The give away is where XP only mentions CD-R recording on the drive.

This will let Roxio do its stuff un-hindered.

To recover the files, copy them all into a folder on your hard drive. Change all attributes to R/W. Re-format the CDRW disk, using Roxio, and you should be able to drag onto the disk.

Hope it helps.

Paul

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections