W
Posted By
What-a-Tool
Oct 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Im beginner with photoshop, and I’m trying to create a group of buttons with rollovereffects for a web page.

-5 buttons in a column (- my normal view buttons -) each on its own layer. -5 buttons in a column (- my hover view buttons -) each on its own layer, directly under first 5 buttons (by directly under, I mean they are in the same location)
-5 buttons in a column (- my clicked view buttons -) each on its own layer, directly under first 5 buttons

I have created 15 layer based slices, 1 for each button layer. I have these nested in 3 different tables, Normal, Clicked, and Hover – 5 buttons nested in each.
I have added a rollover effect for each of the 15 slices – None, Over, and clicked.

Nothing happens when I preview my image in imageready.
Can anyone explain to me what I’m doing wrong, please?

Thank You

/ Sean the Mc /

"I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work." – Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

KH
Kyle Hayes
Oct 13, 2004
Is there some reason why you have chosen to use different layers for each effect? When doing rollovers in ImageReady you can specify new photoshop effects for a particular instance of the button. This way, you keep your layer count down.
-Kyle

"What-a-Tool" <Die!FrigginSpammersDieDie!@IHateSpam.Net> wrote in message
Im beginner with photoshop, and I’m trying to create a group of buttons with rollovereffects for a web page.

-5 buttons in a column (- my normal view buttons -) each on its own layer. -5 buttons in a column (- my hover view buttons -) each on its own layer, directly under first 5 buttons (by directly under, I mean they are in the same location)
-5 buttons in a column (- my clicked view buttons -) each on its own layer, directly under first 5 buttons

I have created 15 layer based slices, 1 for each button layer. I have these nested in 3 different tables, Normal, Clicked, and Hover – 5 buttons nested in each.
I have added a rollover effect for each of the 15 slices – None, Over, and clicked.

Thank You

/ Sean the Mc /

"I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work." – Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

W
What-a-Tool
Oct 13, 2004
Yeah – I spose its cause I have no clue! Ha Ha.

If each effect was on the same layer, then they would have to be in different locations from each other, just so I could see them. Then there would be 5 layers – each layer would contain Normal, Over, and click for one button.

Is this what you’re saying I should have?

<Thanks for the reply>

/ Sean the Mc /

"ImagineerKyle" wrote in message
Is there some reason why you have chosen to use different layers for each effect? When doing rollovers in ImageReady you can specify new photoshop effects for a particular instance of the button. This way, you keep your layer count down.
-Kyle

-5 buttons in a column (- my normal view buttons -) each on its own layer.
-5 buttons in a column (- my hover view buttons -) each on its own layer, directly under first 5 buttons (by directly under, I mean they are in the same location)

Thank You

/ Sean the Mc /

KH
Kyle Hayes
Oct 13, 2004
Yes, you should only have one layer for each button. Let me give you an easy example to demonstrate this:
1) Create a New Document
2) Grab the "Rectangle Tool" and draw a button sized rectangle on the canvas
3) then create a slice around it. You can either right-click the layer that
it is on and click "Create Layer Based Slice" or you can manually do it with the slice tool
4) Make sure your "Web Content" window is open, as this is where you can see your slices and you button instances
5) Click on the untitled slice that you just created and then right-click on it and on the menu select "Add Rollover State"
6) Do this 3 times for Over Down Selected and once more if you want Out
7) then select the button instance that you want to edit, for example click "Over"
8) Once over is selected, go to your layers window and right click the layer and select Layer Style –> Color Overlay and choose any color you like
9) Now back in the web content window, select the untitled slice and then
select the over instance back and forth and you can see what your button looks like up and over up and over etc. It is this easy to create buttons. This way you don’t have to have multilple layers.
10) Repeat the above steps for Down and Selected.
HINT: When you have an instance selected you can also touch the eyeballs in the layers window to turn off a layer during the execution of that instance.

If each effect was on the same layer, then they would have to be in different locations from each other, just so I could see them. Then there would be 5 layers – each layer would contain Normal, Over, and click for one button.

<Thanks for the reply>

/ Sean the Mc /

-Kyle

-5 buttons in a column (- my hover view buttons -) each on its own layer, directly under first 5 buttons (by directly under, I mean they are in the same location)

Thank You

/ Sean the Mc /

W
What-a-Tool
Oct 13, 2004
Thank you very much!

/ Sean the Mc /

"Kyle Hayes" wrote in message
Yes, you should only have one layer for each button. Let me give you an easy example to demonstrate this:
1) Create a New Document
2) Grab the "Rectangle Tool" and draw a button sized rectangle on the canvas
3) then create a slice around it. You can either right-click the layer that it is on and click "Create Layer Based Slice" or you can manually do it with the slice tool
4) Make sure your "Web Content" window is open, as this is where you can see your slices and you button instances
5) Click on the untitled slice that you just created and then right-click on it and on the menu select "Add Rollover State"
6) Do this 3 times for Over Down Selected and once more if you want Out
7) then select the button instance that you want to edit, for example click "Over"
8) Once over is selected, go to your layers window and right click the layer and select Layer Style –> Color Overlay and choose any color you like
9) Now back in the web content window, select the untitled slice and then select the over instance back and forth and you can see what your button looks like up and over up and over etc. It is this easy to create buttons. This way you don’t have to have multilple layers.
10) Repeat the above steps for Down and Selected.
HINT: When you have an instance selected you can also touch the eyeballs in the layers window to turn off a layer during the execution of that instance.

<Thanks for the reply>

/ Sean the Mc /

-Kyle

Thank You

/ Sean the Mc /

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections