CM
Posted By
Cory McNutt
Aug 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi…still searching for a printer. I looked in the archives and a few people on the PE forum are using the Kodak 8500. Is there anyone that has used BOTH of these printers…P-400 is only $370 and the 8500 is closer to $900. Is it worth the difference. Thanks, Cory

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth Haney
Aug 12, 2003
Cory, you might have found reference to those printers, but, trust me – this group is big on Epson! I should know. I don’t use one, and if I weren’t such a sweetie (insert riotous laughter here!) they’d probably throw me off the forum.

Have you checked out this site? One consideration of lots of us is the longevity of the prints from various printers. I’m not suggesting you take what’s given here as gospel, but it might open up another avenue for your consideration as you’re researching various brands and models.

<http://www.wilhelm-research.com/>
CM
Cory McNutt
Aug 12, 2003
Thanks Beth…I’m trying to keep an opened mind and up until a few days ago I was all for Epson or Canon inkjets, but then I started reading about these "dry" printers and the Kodak and Olympus were the two most affordable. I hope someone that has used them will see this! Thanks, and you really are a sweetie!

Cory
CM
Cory McNutt
Aug 12, 2003
Thanks, Brent, but it’s "scary" over there! I’ll give it a try.

Cory
B
Bernie
Aug 13, 2003
I have only used and have the Kodak. The reason I got it is because the Olympus can NOT print a full size 8×10. It only goes I think to 9.4.
The Kodak has 3 sizes of paper available, 8.5×11 -This size can NOT print an 8×10 either and 8.5×12 and I think 8.5×14. You have to purchase one of 2 larger sizes of paper then the Kodak will print an 8×10. When I bought my printer from B&H, I asked them to send paper I could print an 8×10 on, they did not and I had to get one of the larger sizes. Since I use this printer as one of the printers for my Old West photos the paper that won’t print 8×10 means I also can not sell a typical picture package. (2 5×7’s 3 4×6’s etc) This is a big problem and the very reason I did not get the Olympus in the first place. With the right size paper, the Kodak is excellent, and never misses.
If I wanted a PESONAL printer, I might be tempted to the EPSON 2200, it has unreal shadow detail, but since I use the Kodak professionally,I need the speed. Kodak 8×10 70secs, Epson 10 + minutes.And the kodak prints are waterproof.
The only real knock on the olympus is the fact it can’t do a full 8×10 and as a result, does not let you use the efficency of multiple prints. (like picture package)

Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections