C
Posted By
chopes
Oct 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I am a newcomer to Photoshop. I currently have Photoshop 5.0 which I attained from a friend of mine, I was looking to upgrade this product to the 7.0 version, but i wasn’t sure if I was just meant to buy the photoshop 7 upgrade package, or if there was something like a photoshop 5 to photoshop 7 instalation kit. With my Photoshop 5 could i just buy the 7 upgrade? If anyone has anything that might explain to me how the upgrading system works, that would be wonderfull.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
Corey
Oct 2, 2004
First, I can’t endorse the practice of "attaining" software from friends, but I know it does happen.
If your friend had registered it with Adobe, you may not be able to upgrade at all, using your own name. Be that as it may, I believe upgrades only go in stair-step increments. You may be able to buy an upgrade from Photoshop 5 to 5.5, possibly to 6, and upgrade to version 7, and then to CS, but I don’t think you can go directly from 5 to 7.

Corey 🙂

"Rakesh Chopra" wrote in message
Hello, I am a newcomer to Photoshop. I currently have Photoshop 5.0 which I attained from a friend of mine, I was looking to upgrade this product to the 7.0 version, but i wasn’t sure if I was just meant to buy the photoshop 7 upgrade package, or if there was something like a photoshop 5 to photoshop 7 instalation kit. With my Photoshop 5 could i just buy the 7 upgrade? If anyone has anything that might explain to me how the upgrading system works, that would be wonderfull.
EC
Ed Clarke
Oct 5, 2004
In article , Peadge wrote:

If your friend had registered it with Adobe, you may not be able to upgrade at all, using your own name. Be that as it may, I believe upgrades only go in stair-step increments. You may be able to buy an upgrade from Photoshop 5 to 5.5, possibly to 6, and upgrade to version 7, and then to CS, but I don’t think you can go directly from 5 to 7

Not true. You can go from 3.0 to CS but you have to speak to the Adobe techs to get the correct serial number(s). From 5 to CS shouldn’t be a problem. He can register this version with Adobe if he can prove ownership; if it’s a "borrowed" copy, he can not upgrade it.

I went from 5.0 to 7.0, and then from 7.0 to the full Creative Suite. I’m still trying to learn InDesign and Illustrator.
C
Corey
Oct 6, 2004
Cool! You may have saved me a lot of investigative work. Does it cost any more than a single step upgrade?

Corey 🙂

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
In article , Peadge wrote:

If your friend had registered it with Adobe, you may not be able to
upgrade
at all, using your own name. Be that as it may, I believe upgrades only
go
in stair-step increments. You may be able to buy an upgrade from
Photoshop 5
to 5.5, possibly to 6, and upgrade to version 7, and then to CS, but I
don’t
think you can go directly from 5 to 7

Not true. You can go from 3.0 to CS but you have to speak to the Adobe
techs
to get the correct serial number(s). From 5 to CS shouldn’t be a
problem.
He can register this version with Adobe if he can prove ownership; if it’s
a
"borrowed" copy, he can not upgrade it.

I went from 5.0 to 7.0, and then from 7.0 to the full Creative Suite. I’m still trying to learn InDesign and Illustrator.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections