P
Posted By
Phosphor
Aug 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I found a reference to this shortcut while going through some Photoshop tutorials, tried it in PE2, and found that it works for me, as well.

There are many tools which, in the Options bar, have a numeric value field. Quite often, this value may be changed WITHOUT clicking it. Simply type a new value on the keyboard, and the value changes.

Opacity values, when present in the Options bar, seem to universally accept adjustment this way. Some tools without Opacity settings have other settings which respond, as well.

For example, if I have the brush selected, and press 5, the Opacity changes to 50. If I want 54, I have to type 54 quickly, to avoid getting 50, then 40. Likewise, type 100 quickly to get all three digits in.

Again, my only experience is with PE2, on a PC, so don’t know if other iterations of version/platform respond identically. I should add that not every tool responds to this method, and I don’t have a comprehensive list to provide.

If this is old news to those with more experience, please pardon my posting. I had never seen this referenced in the months that I’ve been coming to this forum, so thought it would benefit those who, like me, don’t have all of the tricks in their back pocket, yet.

Byron

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 11, 2003
That reminds of something… a few months (weeks ?) ago, someone here use to post power tips every week… What happened with this guy?

Ray
DS
Dick Smith
Aug 11, 2003
Byron,

Great tip. I’ll make sure and imprint this one on what few cells are left!

Dick
PL
Paul L UK
Aug 11, 2003
Ray

It was Dave Cross, got up to Daves Tip #7, then said he was going on holiday.

May be busy, haven’t seen him around here since June-ish

Paul
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 11, 2003
Dave Cross was going to Montreal.

Another tip;

when using adjustment layers; hold down the alt key and the ‘cancel’ button turns to a ‘reset’ button which will bring you back to the original image if you mess up a bit 😉
P
Phosphor
Aug 11, 2003
Jodi,

THANKS!!! That is something I will use EVERY day.

I like to see what the "Auto" setting does on Levels adjustment layers, and then see what I can come up with manually… and then choose whichever I like best. Now, I won’t have to cancel and re-start to try both ways.

Byron
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 11, 2003
Dave Cross, thanks for reminding me,,,,,Early last spring I ordered "Photoshop Elements for Photographers" which was/is a training DVD. I never received it, but was told that June first, it would be shipped. Still haven’t heard a peep from them.

Anybody here know anything about this?
It was at Photoshopvideos.com
Jane
BB
Bert Bigelow
Aug 11, 2003
Thanks, Jodi. That’s a good one.
This is the kind of stuff I come to this forum for. Plus the camaraderie, of course… Bert
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 11, 2003
Byron,
Another handy shortcut for brush size is to use [ and ] (find it next to letter p on keyboard) to resize quickly.
Ken
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 11, 2003
I don’t know, for me it’s just easier to use the brush option screen. Probably because I’m never really sure of my next step. I’m a ‘winger’ artist.
BB
Bert Bigelow
Aug 12, 2003
Jodi,
Since I didn’t know about all these shortcuts, I habitually go to the brush option screen too. I might try to incorporate some of these shortcuts though to speed up my incredibly slow Photoshop technique.
Bert

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections