FC
Posted By
Frank_Cahill
Sep 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have obtained mixed results in creating grayscale images. When they come back from the printer, they are often on the dark side. It has damaged my confidence but I am determined to get on top of this.

What I do is: The image is usally a colour (RGB or CMYK) jpg or tif. I know there are different paths to get to grayscale and the best probably depends on the particular image. I should master the tried and true methood first before trying to become too tricky. So what I would do would be to save the image as a PSD file. I would Image>Mode>Grayscale. Generally, I would aim for the tones to fall in the 5% to 95% range. So I would open curves and bring the darkest point down to 95% from 100%. Then I would lift the lightest from 0% to 5%. I would create a bit of an S in the curve (very slightly leaving the curve nice and smooth) to create a bit of contrast. Usually I would not be happy with the contrast so I would use Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast to increase contrast further (usually to somewhere between 8-15 depending on the image). I might fiddle a little more, e.g. sharpen slightly using Unsharp Mask or adjust the image further if there were skin tones, e.g. a portrait (I usually aim for skin tones to be something like 15% – depending again). When I finish adjusting the image, I have usually saved it as a TIFF. I might then do a check via the info palette to make sure all the important pixels fall within the 5% to 95% range. (When some images have come back dark, I have wondered whether I should not change my general guideline to 5% to 90% on the assumption that it is easier to darken a light image at a press check – which I have never done – stage).

One other thing I have done from time to time is to create the image as a 16 bit and done what adjustment I could there. My understanding is that this results in less data loss and gives an overall better result. I have saved back to an 8 bit image before placing the file in the InDesign CS document. While I think this is a good thing to do, I need to get a better command over the basics first.

I like a punchy grayscale image but I like detail in the shadows, at least the important ones. I certainly don’t like the image being too dark; nor do I like it being washed out.

I would appreciate your help, suggestions feedback. I know this is pretty basic but it is something I want to be able to get right (assuming the printer does the right thing) every time.

Thanks. I look forward to your comments and feedback.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

2Shy
Feb 5, 2005
Image>Mode>Lab.then highlight the Lightness channel.then convert the image to Grayscale (Image>Mode>Grayscale).
wrote in message
I have obtained mixed results in creating grayscale images. When they come back from the printer, they are often on the dark side. It has damaged my confidence but I am determined to get on top of this.

What I do is: The image is usally a colour (RGB or CMYK) jpg or tif. I know there are different paths to get to grayscale and the best probably depends on the particular image. I should master the tried and true methood first before trying to become too tricky. So what I would do would be to save the image as a PSD file. I would Image>Mode>Grayscale. Generally, I would aim for the tones to fall in the 5% to 95% range. So I would open curves and bring the darkest point down to 95% from 100%. Then I would lift the lightest from 0% to 5%. I would create a bit of an S in the curve (very slightly leaving the curve nice and smooth) to create a bit of contrast. Usually I would not be happy with the contrast so I would use Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast to increase contrast further (usually to somewhere between 8-15 depending on the image). I might fiddle a little more, e.g. sharpen slightly using Unsharp Mask or adjust the image further if there were skin tones, e.g. a portrait (I usually aim for skin tones to be something like 15% – depending again). When I finish adjusting the image, I have usually saved it as a TIFF. I might then do a check via the info palette to make sure all the important pixels fall within the 5% to 95% range. (When some images have come back dark, I have wondered whether I should not change my general guideline to 5% to 90% on the assumption that it is easier to darken a light image at a press check – which I have never done – stage).

One other thing I have done from time to time is to create the image as a 16 bit and done what adjustment I could there. My understanding is that this results in less data loss and gives an overall better result. I have saved back to an 8 bit image before placing the file in the InDesign CS document. While I think this is a good thing to do, I need to get a better command over the basics first.

I like a punchy grayscale image but I like detail in the shadows, at least the important ones. I certainly don’t like the image being too dark; nor do I like it being washed out.

I would appreciate your help, suggestions feedback. I know this is pretty basic but it is something I want to be able to get right (assuming the printer does the right thing) every time.

R
RSD99
Feb 5, 2005
Go to Russell Brown’s site and download the file(s) for " Seeing in Black & White"
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Then go to Jeff Alu’s site and read through his how-to
http://www.animalu.com/pics/photos.htm
http://www.animalu.com/pics/process.htm

wrote in message
I have obtained mixed results in creating grayscale images. When they
come back from the printer, they are often on the dark side. It has damaged my confidence but I am determined to get on top of this.
What I do is: The image is usally a colour (RGB or CMYK) jpg or tif. I
know there are different paths to get to grayscale and the best probably depends on the particular image. I should master the tried and true methood first before trying to become too tricky. So what I would do would be to save the image as a PSD file. I would Image>Mode>Grayscale. Generally, I would aim for the tones to fall in the 5% to 95% range. So I would open curves and bring the darkest point down to 95% from 100%. Then I would lift the lightest from 0% to 5%. I would create a bit of an S in the curve (very slightly leaving the curve nice and smooth) to create a bit of contrast. Usually I would not be happy with the contrast so I would use Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast to increase contrast further (usually to somewhere between 8-15 depending on the image). I might fiddle a little more, e.g. sharpen slightly using Unsharp Mask or adjust the image further if there were skin tones, e.g. a portrait (I usually aim for skin tones to be something like 15% – depending again). When I finish adjusting the image, I have usually saved it as a TIFF. I might then do a check via the info palette to make sure all the important pixels fall within the 5% to 95% range. (When some images have come back dark, I have wondered whether I should not change my general guideline to 5% to 90% on the assumption that it is easier to darken a light image at a press check – which I have never done – stage).
One other thing I have done from time to time is to create the image as a
16 bit and done what adjustment I could there. My understanding is that this results in less data loss and gives an overall better result. I have saved back to an 8 bit image before placing the file in the InDesign CS document. While I think this is a good thing to do, I need to get a better command over the basics first.
I like a punchy grayscale image but I like detail in the shadows, at
least the important ones. I certainly don’t like the image being too dark; nor do I like it being washed out.
I would appreciate your help, suggestions feedback. I know this is pretty
basic but it is something I want to be able to get right (assuming the printer does the right thing) every time.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections