PE2: Size change with elliptical marquee tool?

RH
Posted By
Richard Hirschman
Aug 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
Is there any way to increase or decrease the size of that portion of an image that I select with the elliptical marquee tool, after I have selected part of the image with the tool? Right now, it seems the only way to change the selected area is to deselect it and start over with the tool.
Thanks.
Richard
http:www.pbase.com/doowopper

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Aug 10, 2003
Richard,

Try Select/Modify/Expand to see if that does what you are looking for.

Byron
MR
Mark Reibman
Aug 10, 2003
Richard, no, you can’t do it in the way you would expect to. This was my burning question (frustration) when I joined this forum and they were discussing it on the week I started here. Photoshop has the option through the Transform command but not Elements.

I have two suggestions.

As you are making your selection, hold down the space bar and you will be able to drag the selection as you size it . This gives you a lot more precision in you selection.

The other way. Create a colored layer on top of your image.(You can do this by simply selecting ‘solid color’ with the drop down menu on the left circle, bottom of layer’s palette) Reduce the opacity to 0 or close enough so you can see your image. Make your selection with the color layer active. Using the move tool, you can now resize and reshape your selection. When you’ve got it where you want it, delete your color layer and your selection will still be there.

I think there are some variations on this that others have come up with and there will probably be some more responses.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 10, 2003
Richard, you can also change the Marquee tool (and any other selection tool) to Add to Selection or Subtract from Selection mode and add or remove portions of the selection. You can do it by using the Shift or Alt key while making your selection, or choose from the options on the left end of the Marquee toolbar.

Chuck
MR
Mark Reibman
Aug 10, 2003
Nice photos from your Europe trip Richard.
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 11, 2003
Byron’s method is the way i do it. Simple, accurate.
RH
Richard Hirschman
Aug 11, 2003
Thanks to all for your responses – very helpful.
Richard

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections