DK
Posted By
Doug_Katz
Mar 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way (from within Acrobat Pro 6.0.1) to determine the ppi of an image embedded in a PDF?

(I know I can extract raster images from within Acrobat and open in PS to determine ppi, or even click on raster images within Acrobat with the edit tool and open in PS. Just wondering if Acrobat has its own way of telling me.)

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RL
Ronald_Lanham
Mar 7, 2004
Doug

Not that I’m aware of…

You may want to post this on the Acrobat forum.

They will probably let you know in a heart beat if there is a way.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Mar 7, 2004
Doug,

Document > Preflight

Choose to list all images then click analyse

That may get you some info you’re after.
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 7, 2004
Did it, Ron. Thanks.

Scott, do you use Acrobat a lot? Is Preflight the tool you use to find out basically what "quality" PDF you have? Whether it’s (at one extreme) a low grade, screen only file with heavily compressed and downsampled images and type or (at the other) a press-ready file with hi-rez images, only modestly compressed objects and type, and so forth, or some "quality" level in between? And if so, which Preflight profile(s) do you use for this?

I ask because I sort of expected a single place (like Document Properties) that would readily tell me things like: "This is a file saved with Press job options. It has 4, 300 ppi images in it, Adobe Caslon OpenType embedded, 7 vector objects, and a gradient mesh. It’s a CMYK file and was saved with US Prepress Defaults embedded." It seems like I have to use several different Preflight profiles to get this info… and some of it doesn’t seem to be gotten by ANY of those profiles.

Wouldn’t you sort of WANT this information, especially if you inherited the file from elsewhere and had to either design with it or (maybe more important) do prepress work on it?
SW
Scott_Weichert
Mar 7, 2004
I dont’ do a lot of back end PDF work anymore Doug. I pretty much just create PDFs for others. But…. for prepress info on a PDF you really, really, want PitStop Pro from Enfocus.
M
MarkATS
Mar 7, 2004
PitStop Pro from Extensis.

Enfocus
SW
Scott_Weichert
Mar 7, 2004
Corrected, thanks Mark.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections