RP
Posted By
rick_page
Mar 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to take a picture and make it appear as though it dissolves into a white background (like the Tom Hanks pic on the DVD of Cast Away)…it looks like ULTRA contrast and bright…mixed with some opacity and such….but I still can’t seem to get that effect where the edges of the photo disappear into white and the prominent features remain veiwable…any ideas on what treatment I’m looking for?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
John_Slate
Mar 6, 2004
Turn the layer your image is on into a normal layer, if it is not one already, by double clicking in the layers palette.

Now press the little circle in the rectangle button at the bottom of the layers palette to add a layer mask.

Press the "D" key for default foreground/background colors.

Choose the gradient tool set to draw from foreground to background colors.

Click where you want the fade to start, and drag to where you want it to end.

Add a white layer underneath to see the final effect.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2004
I am not familiar with the Tom Hanks DVD but I suspect that you can get the effect that you need from using Advanced Layer Styles.

Double click on the Layer in the layers palette to open the Layer Style Palette. Choose Blending Options.
Option-Click on the White Arrow in the section called Blend If: (Gray) "This Layer" so that the arrow splits and move the left half towards the Black end of the scale on the left.
L
LRK
Mar 6, 2004
RP
rick_page
Mar 6, 2004
LRK–

Actually the image I am referring to is on the DVD menu page (on the DVD)–sorry should have been more specific. I wish I had a reference to display… look at this actually :
<http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/cast_away/>

Thanks.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2004
Rick:
Layer Mask — with GB’d edges.
RP
rick_page
Mar 6, 2004
Ann–thank you—that was indeed the treatment I was looking for. JOHN–I applied your technique as well…but I was only able to get it to apply to one side of the picture–not surrounding the pic…but I like that look.

Thanks very much for the help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections