Posted By
Reza_Saheban
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello.
I want to buy a new notebook and I’m going to install PS 8(phtoshop8) in it.I wonder if you can direct me.I want to buy Toshiba tecra A1 with Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 processor at 2.20 GHz and I’ll will increase it’s RAM to 1024.
but my problem is it’s vga (graphic memory) is 64 shared . (Intel 852GM integrated graphics controller chipset; 64MB DDR) Can this video memory support PS8 (and other new graphic applications)? Any suggestion?
Regards
Reza

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
JasonSmith
Mar 5, 2004
Just a thought – you may want to post this in the Windows section.

Most of us Mac users are too dumb to know anything about big numbers and words like that %D
GP
Graham_Phillips
Mar 5, 2004
What are all those A circumflex characters? I accused Ann of using them in another thread but maybe it’s my browser. Is anyone else seeing them?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
No. You are seeing starz **************
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2004
I’m seeing them on the Windows box I’m at right now.

Intel® Pentium®

Interestingly enough, they show as "A-ring" (Å) in the Adobe Forums spelling checker.

I’ll check on my Macs when I get back home alter this evening.
B
Buko
Mar 6, 2004
Get a Powerbook

forget Windows
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 6, 2004
Reza,

Windows or not, one of the concerns I have for installing Photoshop on a laptop is color accuracy. Generally, when you move your head away from the center of the screen, or if you look at the screen at an angle, you are likely to see a color shift or change in density. If your color is critical, don’t let that laptop be the final say.

Neil
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2004
Graham,

I just got home and the characters in question look exactly the same on my Mac as they did on the Windows box, just like I described them in post # 4:

Intel® Pentium®
L
lello
Mar 6, 2004
i see them that way too..

using powerbook g4 aluminium & panther

Maybe it’s an internal setting fot those words.. :-))

On 2004-03-06 04:00:17 +0100, Ramón_G_Castañ said:

Graham,

I just got home and the characters in question look exactly the same on my Mac as they did on the Windows box, just like I described them in post # 4:
Intel® Pentium®

x– 100 Proof News – http://www.100ProofNews.com
x– 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups x– Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day – $8.95/Month
x– UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
GP
Graham_Phillips
Mar 6, 2004
If your color is critical, don’t let that laptop be the final say.

The trouble is, it’s not always practical to carry a desktop computer under one arm and a CRT monitor under the other when you’re on the road.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Mar 6, 2004
Reza, if you don’t need crushing 3D performance for your other applications, then integrated graphics shouldn’t be a problem. Most applications, including Photoshop, only use the 2D acceleration capabilities of the graphics chips and I would expect any modern computer to be adequate in that regard.

That said, I would shy away from shared memory if I had a choice simply because it is an obvious performance/space/budget compromise, but other than the fact that you will have 64MB less RAM for Photoshop to play with I doubt you’ll notice a difference.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Mar 6, 2004
The G5 laptop computers should be out soon so just wait a little longer to get a deal on a G4.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 6, 2004
Laptops typically are very significantly slower for PS use than similarly configured desktop boxes. I strongly recommend that you get PS up and running and put PS through serious testing on a real image on any PC laptop before you buy one. Throughput is what you need, and most PC laptops (and many PC desktop configurations) cut costs by omitting essential architectural components for PS throughput. That is a big part of why PCs sometimes *seem* less expensive.

On the Mac side consider only the latest TiBooks as a minimum requirement. Note that Macs almost always do put all the parts together to optimize PS-type output at each price point; therefore there normally is no huge need for graphics card updating as long as you are doing 2D.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections