Unembedded Files get tagged to sRGB on import?

BM
Posted By
Brian_MacDougall
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using a Nikon LS-9000 with Nikon Scan 4 with Nikon’s color management turned off. According to the Nikon documentation, the resulting scan will be tagless. Upon import into PS (both CS and 7), the PS CMS reports the scan as embedded with sRGB. I asked Nikon if it was something about their software, but the tech said it was a Photshop problem and there was a patch for it. I didn’t believe him, so I opened the scan up in Color Think, and by golly, it IS untagged. Is PS just assuming a tag? I don’t remember this happening with the Polaroid scanner driver or VueScan. I can bypass the tagging if I turn off PS CMS and use Nikon Scan as a plug in, but I’d rather not. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

I
iGary
Mar 5, 2004
Which version of Photoshop are you using?

If version 7.0.1, use the Ignore EXIF Color Space plug-in, found at Adobe Downloads. < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1882>

Adobe developed the patch because software clowns like Nikon embed the profile in the incorrect place within the file. Some software finds the profile, like Photoshop, others don’t, like ColorThink.

Gary Smith
I
iGary
Mar 5, 2004
I got to thinking about this since I replied to your post.

I ran into this myself last summer with version 3 of Nikon Scan. I was trying to profile the scanner with Monaco Profiler Gold. I think there is a different issue at work here (of Nikon’s making), although you should have the ignore EXIF Color Space plug in installed anyway.

This weekend I will refresh my memory on this and reply here.

What’s funny is this used to work with earlier versions of Nikon Scan.

Gary Smith
BM
Brian_MacDougall
Mar 5, 2004
"Software clowns": I like that. It conjures up all kinds of happy images, especially as the Nikon tech was a little snippy. Snippy the clown. Thanks, iGary.

That answers all my questions/confusions and seems to work as advertised in 7.01, but not in CS. Is there a CS patch in the pipe?
I
iGary
Mar 5, 2004
Hmmmm, so you’re using CS?

Now I am confused!

I ran into this with 7.0.1 prior to CS, but I haven’t tried it with CS. I’ll look into that too…
BM
Brian_MacDougall
Mar 5, 2004
Okay, sorry. There’s a preference setting for "exclude EXIF" in CS. Got it.

Thanks again, Gary.
I
iGary
Mar 6, 2004
Thanks for that preferences tidbit Brian! I’ve been in Preferences who knows how many times and missed that one!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections