SD
Posted By
Steve_Drinkwater
Feb 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have recently batch converted 200+ RGB Tiff files so they are Tiff with a Jpeg encoding of 10 – a new feature I had noticed in Photoshop 7.01.
The resulting images have unusualy large amounts of artifacts in thier shadow areas, are blurred and seem to have aquired a fine white grid.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Thanks in advance
Steve

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Feb 29, 2004
Go back to your original images. If you deleted or overwrote them, you are severely out of luck.
SD
Steve_Drinkwater
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks for that info… Looks like its time to bring out Norton Unerase!
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2004
Never Ever use anything with tiff encoding if you want any quality insaving an image.

Looks like its time to bring out Norton Unerase!

Norton won’t help if you overwrote the file.
J
JasonSmith
Mar 1, 2004
LZW or ZIP endoding is fine and you wont find any loss of quality.

JPEG’s another story.

ZIP Tiff’s may have problems Ripping, but I’ve seen absolutely no problems with LZW Tiffs on five different Rip packages now.
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2004
Never Ever use anything with JPG encoding if you want any quality in saving an image.

This is what I ment.

Hadn’t had any coffee yet.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 1, 2004
Even though it is technically a lossy compression algorithm, JPEG 12 (maximum) provides excellent quality based on my tests and others’. Saves at less than 12 always reduce quality.

That said, the substantial degradation that you describe suggests that something else went on with those images, because you should not normally see that much change just from a JPEG 10 Save.
J
JasonSmith
Mar 1, 2004
99% of the time JPEG is fine here – it’s the 1% that can haunt you.

If there are gradients, that’s where an image can really take a hit with JPEG.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections