SP
Posted By
Simon_P_Cooper
Feb 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What are your views on computer art aesthetics against traditional painting?

I am carrying out a BA research on this subject. Let say for example you retouched a photo with a soft brush it is still a photo or a painting? Let say you used one of the filters (watercolour, pastel etc) on a photo, would you think it is still a photo or a painting? What do you think computer art really is?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Feb 29, 2004
To me its art. I create what I would like to see.

I originally took up photography because I was such a miserable failure at painting.

Now with photoshop and my photos I can create what I would paint.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 29, 2004
"Let say for example you retouched a photo with a soft brush it is still a photo or a painting?"

Must it be one or the other? It’s a retouched photo. Digital art.

"Let say you used one of the filters (watercolour, pastel etc) on a photo, would you think it is still a photo or a painting? What do you think computer art really is?"

Computer art.

Paint, photography, computer; all just tools.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Feb 29, 2004
It’s all a retouched Photo.

it may enter the realm of digital art if you do more than jsut run a filter on a photo. But just usign a photo and commands within Photoshop, I condiser that, a retouched photo since Photoshop is doing all the work.
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Feb 29, 2004
Simon

It’s subjective.

There are people that will rail against a form of art that they themselves either do not produce or, for what ever reason, don’t like.

I had a studio in SoHo, NYC, for a couple of years and there was a common joke among painters…

"Sculpture is just something you back into when looking at a painting." <g>

I’m also a sculpture as well as a painter… so it was a little irritating.

If a work combines various media it’s simply… you guessed it… mixed-media. As Ed alluded to… it doesn’t have to necessarily fit into some else’s ‘neat’ classification.

"Don’t be an ‘ist," said Harold Rosenberg (Picasso’s dealer), "bad artists can be classified, but great artists can’t be."

To this day many painters don’t consider watercolor a fine art. Yet J.M.W. Turner created some of the most memorable watercolors imaginable; ones that would rival any painting.

Again… it’s very subjective.

IMO if it’s done extremely well, no matter what media, it’s art. If it’s done badly, no matter what media, it’s cr_p.

FWIW…
"Your exhibition is a great success and, like all successes, we have sold absolutely nothing!.." Harold Rosenberg to Picasso after his first NYC show. <g>
P
Phosphor
Feb 29, 2004
Art is manifest where I declare it to be so.

Apply liberally, from your own frame of reference.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 29, 2004
"But just using a photo and commands within Photoshop, I consider that a retouched photo since Photoshop is doing all the work."

I dunno. My brother-in-law sent me a run of the mill snapshot the other day and I ran a couple filters, duplicated layers, changed Blending Modes, etc. on it in Photoshop just for fun (actually did this a few times to get different results) and it doesn’t look like a photo any more at all. It looks kinda like art. Maybe not great art but much more interesting and expressive than the original snap. Yet I didn’t draw anything or do any compositing (and what of compositing by the way). I’d be hard pressed to call it a retouchesd photo.

Does the fact that an artist(me) used a tool (Photoshop) to produce something neat-o not make it art\?

Ah, the rarefied atmophere of these discussions…
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Feb 29, 2004
Michelangelo was a sculptor who painted for a living.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 1, 2004
Simon-

The various dictionary definitions of art all pretty much answer the art portion of your question. Art certainly is not defined by any medium.

Once you apply multiple tools the pieces in question might be described as mixed media of some kind, but that is all just semantics. A retouched piece might be "called" any number of names, but its visual impression and the visceral responses it elicits are all that matters. The descriptive verbiage is IMO pretty meaningless.
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Mar 1, 2004
Michelangelo was a sculptor who painted for a living.

Stevie

I might add… that he was required at one time to paint or not get any commissions to do his sculpture. He preferred to create sculpture.

Something like… "…get up there and paint… or else…" <g>
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Mar 1, 2004
"Sculpture is just something you back into when looking at a painting."

Damn! Knocked over another statue. What? It was a Rodin? <shrug>
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
…would you think it is still a photo or a painting?

Why does it have to be neatly pigeonholed? Why should it even matter? For art, it’s the end result that matters, not the means to it.

Neil
T
Todie
Mar 1, 2004
It would be easier to simplify and call everything Art, but than you may be asked to separate the good from the bad : )
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Mar 1, 2004
I’m the other way Neil, I believe art is the process, the creative process, when it’s finished (for me anyway) it’s history.

Yes Ronald, but from what I’ve read and seen (a great 2 hour doco on the History channel) that he’d rather sculpt any day of the week.

Indeedy Todie, that’s half the fun though, "sorting the sh!t from the clay"
Y
yassy
Mar 1, 2004
Hard to say,but hopefully i`d like to discussing this topis at 3D forum rather than photoshop.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
Stevie,

Yes, the process itself can be an "art", as is, say, the molding of Tiffany glass or creating transparency in skin tones in an oil painting, or in setting up the lighting of a photograph. But your remark about it being just "history" at the end of the process doesn’t work. OK, that would probably be true for a lot of commercial art. But then, it’s history after it’s been billed and paid for. <lol>

That said, most would consider the end result of an art-creation process art as well. Whether it is good or bad art is something else! <vbg>

Meanwhile, back at Photoshop…

Neil
T
Todie
Mar 1, 2004
I’ve seen Art made by excited monkeys, walking chickens and even bored elephants (that is the effect of paint being smeared on blank canvases by them).
I didn’t think it was too good.
(As a matter of fact, I can think of someone much more talented than the monkeys: Cy Twombly–boy he’s good!)

There are Photoshop plug-ins and actions which can make a photo look like a painting. Is that art? Of course it is. A photo is art from the start, so why would it stop when a new look is bestowed on it, on purpose?
(most of the definition of art has to do with purpose).

So, Photoshop can do Art from… art.
(… or art from Art)

Simple!
J
JasonSmith
Mar 1, 2004
I honestly think that if Picasso or Dali were alive today – they would not shy away from using Photoshop at some point.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
Neither would Ansel Adams.

Neil
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Mar 1, 2004
Art is when you are not paid for it.
RW
Rene_Walling
Mar 1, 2004
It would be easier to simplify and call everything Art, but than you may be asked to separate the good from the bad : )

The ten page essay that comes with it. 😛

Art is when you are not paid for it

Art is when you _have_ to do it no matter what

Of course, either definition eliminates a lot of so called artists…
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Mar 1, 2004
School of art: "Here, take this vow of poverty."

You: "OK."

School: "Here’s your diploma."
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 1, 2004
Ken-

"Art is when you are not paid for it." Ergo the deadbeat clients have our best work! 🙂
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Mar 1, 2004
Yes, they do, and the cleaning lady.
JS
John_Slate
Mar 1, 2004
Hey, if nailing yourself to a Volkswagon is art, computer art is right up there with the Cistine Chapel.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Mar 1, 2004
If you paint on your monitor with acrylics, that would be art.

Impasto Baby!!!

<http://www.artimpasto.com/>

<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=impasto>

<http://www.fasart.com/impasto.htm>
SP
Simon_P_Cooper
Mar 2, 2004
First I would like thank you for your feedback, some of you have made me really think about your views!!!
L
Lundberg02
Mar 3, 2004
Art is in the conception and execution, aided in its acceptance by the media and the theme, mood,and content. Art is what artists do, someone said.
I
iGary
Mar 3, 2004
To me so many things can be art. Photography, cooking, tile work in a bathroom…

Especially stuff I can’t do.

Gary Smith
GN
Gary_Newman
Mar 5, 2004
An untouched photograph can be art. To me art and beauty are the same thing – even ugliness is a form of beauty, and therefore art. Here at the newspaper, the photographers are allowed to digitally dodge and burn, crop and adjust colors, and it’s still a photo. But if they alter individual pixels, it becomes a photo-illustration, and must be identified as such. This, even though dodging and burning are technically altering individual pixels. It’s a topic for lively debate. Norman Rockwell scoffed at critics who called him an artist – he considered himself an Illustrator. But I think we can be forgiven for viewing his work as art.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Mar 5, 2004
I’m of Rockwells view, I call myself an illustrator, it fits comfortably with me.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Mar 5, 2004
Nice Todie, love the price!
T
Todie
Mar 5, 2004
The RO gallery is a dump but the owner is versed and keeps the prices low : )
P
Phosphor
Mar 5, 2004
Some folks think too much.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."

Who was it that said that? Lester Bangs? Jann Wenner?

Whoever it was made a brilliantly broad and simple statement about art and the dangers of over-examination.
T
Todie
Mar 5, 2004
Satie was a forerunner to minimalism. He experimented with what he called furniture [architectural?] music, meant to be in the background rather than listened to. He composed music to be listened at different angles, similar pieces divided into several parts.

He was never afraid of expressing his true opinion. If he found someone to be a jerk he made this perfectly clear (and took the consequences).

<http://www.af.lu.se/~fogwall/intro.html>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections