Posted By
LRK
Feb 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
"Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document."

This is what is happening with older PSD files that I had stored on a CD. I copied them to my hard drive but still having the same message. It happens whether I attempt to open them in PS or IR or even AI.

I remember seeing this kind of topic before but can’t seem to find anything. Is there a known cause and solution?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Feb 29, 2004
Linda,

Have you tried opening them in Photoshop 7.0.1? Maybe Graphic Converter?

If you had written those files in Photoshop 7 before the 7.0.1 upgrade, there were issues with certain text layers.

If you do a forum search on "valid Photoshop document" without quotation marks you’ll get quite a few hits.
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Mar 1, 2004
Linda

Ramon may be referring to the "Repair Type Layer" droplet that Adobe provided to fix the text layers.
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2004
Ronald,

I was not aware of the "droplet". I just remembered this was fixed by the 7.0.1 update. Linda mentioned these are old files, so it’s a possibility.
L
LRK
Mar 1, 2004
Ramon: Neither 7.01 nor Graphic Converter worked. I tried the search you recommended and the only thread that seemed to address the same situation was this one <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2cceca63>. It doesn’t look like there was a solution that worked though.

Ronald: I just tried the droplet but that didn’t work either.

I appreciate your suggestions. At least these are my own files and not client’s. I decided to put the CD away and start over on what I’m doing. I just hope this doesn’t happen later on with a client job.

Thanks!
G
graffiti
Mar 1, 2004
A corrupt CD maybe?
Z
Zeb
Mar 1, 2004
Did you get it fixed? Did you try Scott’s advice of changing the cache levels to 4? Try contol-clicking one of the files and trying every app on the ‘open with’ menu. Or they could be corrupted… sorry.
L
LRK
Mar 1, 2004
Hey, I somehow missed the last two posts. Sorry about that, I wasn’t ignoring you… honest.

I wondered about that Graffiti. It does appear that everything on that CD is troublesome, so it could be.

Zeb: I gave up on it for lack of time. My cache levels are set to 4. I also tried the different ways of opening the files. It’s not critical information. Matter of fact, I just remembered, I did get a small file off that CD to work that I needed.

I might try booting up my other G4 tomorrow and text the CD on it. It’s still running Jaguar.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections