Save for Web and dynamic destinations revived. Also, is there a way to tweak the image size action?

F
Posted By
fullofquestions
Oct 23, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working with CS version 7.0. I searched in google groups and other places and found question 2 asked in 2002 and 2004. Apparently there was only a workaround for this although I am not sure which version of PS this referred to. To solve this people mentioned the Batch rename Action. This means that you run your first Action set and then run the Batch rename Action. I cannot find the set where the Batch rename Action resides. Besides, with CS 7.0 this may have been fixed.

I have a set of photos that I want to resize and save for the web. I created an Action where 1. I have the action open up the image size menu and 2. does the save for web. This works pretty well except for two things:

1. It would be great for the image size action to be able to resize wider images to 8 inches in width and taller images to 4 inches in width. Right now I am simply resizing everything to 4 inches in width.

2. The Action that I created has the destination built in as part of the export action. When I created the Action, upon the second step where I went to the file->save for web menu I simply clicked Save and proceeded to click on OK for the last step. The destination folder is built in. So basically, if the folder where the image was saved to no longer exists, when I run the Batch I get the message "Could not complete the Action, since the destination folder does not exist." The thing here is that the destination folder option under the Batch window does not come into play when the export Action fires up.

Is there anyone that has an answer to the following questions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

F
fullofquestions
Oct 23, 2007
On Oct 23, 11:38 am, fullofquestions
wrote:
I am working with CS version 7.0. I searched in google groups and other places and found question 2 asked in 2002 and 2004. Apparently there was only a workaround for this although I am not sure which version of PS this referred to. To solve this people mentioned the Batch rename Action. This means that you run your first Action set and then run the Batch rename Action. I cannot find the set where the Batch rename Action resides. Besides, with CS 7.0 this may have been fixed.

I have a set of photos that I want to resize and save for the web. I created an Action where 1. I have the action open up the image size menu and 2. does the save for web. This works pretty well except for two things:

1. It would be great for the image size action to be able to resize wider images to 8 inches in width and taller images to 4 inches in width. Right now I am simply resizing everything to 4 inches in width.

2. The Action that I created has the destination built in as part of the export action. When I created the Action, upon the second step where I went to the file->save for web menu I simply clicked Save and proceeded to click on OK for the last step. The destination folder is built in. So basically, if the folder where the image was saved to no longer exists, when I run the Batch I get the message "Could not complete the Action, since the destination folder does not exist." The thing here is that the destination folder option under the Batch window does not come into play when the export Action fires up.
Is there anyone that has an answer to the following questions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

OK, I stumbled upon the following site that describes the process of batch resizing and saving (using the batch rename action). http://www.tutorialwiz.com/batch/. If I use this method, I still would like to do the following:

1. resize images a bit smarter. Wider images get resized to 8 inches and taller images to 4 inches, automatically. This is probably not doable but it is worth asking.

2. is there a way to mimic the save for web feature? Since we cannot manipulate the save for web/export action to use the destination listed in the batch command, a way to get this same effect is to a) run a bunch of things to get the equivalent of what save for web does and b) use the save as command within the new action (just like the article I pasted suggests). This save as command can be manipulated by the batch command.

The reason for asking question 2 is that save for web does indeed produce better quality images per Kb than save as. I know it has to do with sampling for the most used colors etc so if anyone can provide an explicit method I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all again.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections