Ray
Aug 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Charles,

Create a new document.

Click on the foreground color selector, and select the desired red. On the background layer, put your first gradient (from red to transparent), from top to bottom.

Add a new layer. Make it active.
Create a second layer. On top.

Click on the foreground color selector, and select the desired blue.

On the second layer, put your second gradient (from red to transparent), from bottom to top.

You should have what you desire.

Tips : click on the layer, then press and hold the SHIFT key, this will ensure you have a perfectly straight gradient.

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 7, 2003
Charles, here’s how I would do it.

1. Create a new image (File>New) with contents White
2. Go to the Color Picker in the toolbox, click on the foreground box,
select red. Click on the background box, select white
3. Go to the Gradient tool in the toolbox (not the gradient adjustment layer!). Select foreground to background and a linear gradient.
4. Draw with your mouse from the left side of your image to the right side
of your image and release the mouse; you should get the white to red (or red to white) gradient you’re seeking.
5. Go back to the Color picker and change the foreground color to blue
6. Create a new Layer (Layer>New>New Layer) and set mode to Overlay.
7. With the new layer selected in the Layers palette, go back to the gradient tool, same settings, and draw on the layer from top to bottom. You’ll get a blue to white layer (that’s what will show in layers palette) which will then interact with the layer below to give you your magenta.

I think that will work for you.

I answered a question re neutral density filter a few minutes ago; please see that thread for a possible answer.

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 7, 2003
Ray, don’t you just love how Elements can be used in different ways to achieve the same effect??

🙂

Chuck
R
Ray
Aug 7, 2003
Chuck, that’s what is amazing, and that is what makes its strenght! It’s like it is adaptative to our needs. Some people can never do things the easy way (Ray… are you listening?? lol), others will freak at procedure more than 3 lines long. Elements serves both types 🙂

Ray
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 7, 2003
Charles, I think magenta is a blend of red and blue in equal proportions, with no green present. If you go into the Color picker and set the foreground color to R=255, G=0, B=255, then fill a layer with foreground color, you’ll have magenta. Just another option….

Chuck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections