DB
Posted By
Daniel Blackburn
Aug 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the best and most effective way, using Elements 2.0, to achieve an image effect similar to that when using a graduated neutral density filter on a camera lens to hold back bright skies, etc????? I am looking for a filter or effect that is graduated in density and neutral in color saturation. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 7, 2003
Daniel, one way to get that effect (if I understand the effect correctly) is to add a Levels Adjustment layer, then use a black-to-white gradient on the layer mask. If the black portion of the gradient is at the bottom (ground)and the white portion is at the top (sky), opening the levels dialog on the adjustment layer and pushing the slider to the right will darken the sky while keeping the ground at its original lightness, with a gradual change in between. Depending on where you start and finish the gradient, you should be able to achieve the effect you’re looking for. Please let me know if more detail would be helpful.

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 8, 2003
Daniel: You can use gray to transparent by selecting gray as the foreground color, then using foreground-to-transparent gradient. It’s a trial and error process to figure out where to start and end the gradient, though; you can draw a very short line that will make for a very quick change, or you can draw from top to bottom to cause the change to blend in over the entire length or width of the picture. Just gotta keep trying….!
PL
Paul L UK
Aug 8, 2003
Another way, added to the previous ideas:-

Duplicate layer,
desaturate (ctrl+shif+U)
change blend mode to luminosity
create levels adjustment layer
Group to previous layer
Make levels adjustment (move centre pyramid to the right to darken) (following steps are similar to above)
Select gradient tool, foreground to transparent.
Click on the levels layer mask (white rectangle to side) Click and hold at top of picture (pressing the shift) and drag down as far as you want the gradient to affect.

All of the changes can be fiddled with to get the effect.

This should affect only the luminosity (tone) and not the colours.

Paul
PL
Paul L UK
Aug 8, 2003
The best way is in Richard Lynch’s book(just checked), so I cannot really post it here. The one above works (sort of) but it is too late for me to edit it.

Paul
C4
Cats 4ever
Aug 8, 2003
http://www.homestead.com/emcguirk/files/Articles/Final_ND_ar ticle__1_.htm

"Daniel Blackburn" wrote in message
What is the best and most effective way, using Elements 2.0, to achieve an
image effect similar to that when using a graduated neutral density filter on a camera lens to hold back bright skies, etc????? I am looking for a filter or effect that is graduated in density and neutral in color saturation. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
C4
Cats 4ever
Aug 8, 2003
http://canong2.dynip.com:8080/canon-g2/digital-darkroom-arti cle10.shtml

image effect similar to that when using a graduated neutral density filter on a camera lens to hold back bright skies, etc????? I am looking for a filter or effect that is graduated in density and neutral in color saturation. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
C4
Cats 4ever
Aug 8, 2003
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending .shtml

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections