Best method for removing barrel distortion?

BA
Posted By
Brett_Arrowood
Feb 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a number of really nice shots taken at wide angle (28mm) and I’m trying to reduce or remove the barrel distortion. I have played with the PINCH filter effect and while it is helpful it seems to affect the center more than the rest of the picture. I want to know if there is a way to use the PINCH or another filter to effect the change more consistently throughout the photo.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brett

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GB
g_ballard
Feb 27, 2004
Edit> Transform> Skew, Distort, Perspective

(drag the corner squares)

you will need to turn the background into a layer (Option+doubleclick on layer in pallet)

TIP:

Command+0 (fit screen)
Command+- (zoom out)
F (key to move corners outside of image)
V (key)
Edit> Transform> Skew

My guess is this stirs up the pixels pretty bad so you will need a bigger file and try to do all the corrections in one move…setting guides or grid may also be good.
PF
Peter_Figen
Feb 27, 2004
PanoTools
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Feb 27, 2004
Peter got it in one.

A little more information. The PanoTools have been made into a series of plugins for Photoshop and several adaptions of them have been crafted to make them more accessible for quick learning and use. LensFix, a component of the whole set is ideal for your problem.

<http://www.kekus.com/plugin/>
RH
r_harvey
Feb 27, 2004
See also Barrel Distortion <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.2cd04dc0/0> [Photoshop/Windows Forum]

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections