Posted By
Richard_Hsu
Feb 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has any one experienced this problem?

My studio operates on WinXP Photoshop 7 and one of my agencies operates on MAC-OSX Photoshop CS (recently upgraded from OS9) who cannot and no-longer can open our 16bit tiff and jpeg files given to them on a CD. They managed to open on their old Mac running on OS9 Photoshop BUT NOT Photoshop CS running on Mac-OSX.

cheers

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 27, 2004
Most likely something is wrong with their CD drive on the OS X machine.

The image files are not platform or OS version specific.
RH
Richard_Hsu
Feb 27, 2004
….The MAC computer recognises the content of the CD (both tiff and jpeg files) but only when dragged into the CS application to open the file/s, a dialog stating to the effect that there is no file to be found…
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 27, 2004
What happens if you use File->Open and choose a file from the CD? Do you get the same message?
TK
Thomas_Kirkpatrick
Feb 28, 2004
Has anyone experienced this problem?

I’ve created a multi-layer Photoshop CS document in OS X 10.2.8 and when I open the document using Photoshop 7 in XP the image is flattened (only a single, background layer)appears.

Any thoughts?
B
Buko
Feb 28, 2004
The MAC computer recognises the content of the CD (both tiff and jpeg files) but only when dragged into the CS application to open the file/s, a dialog stating to the effect that there is no file to be found…

I have found you have less problems to copy the files you need to open to your hard drive before opening.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 29, 2004
I would agree with Buko to first copy the file to your drive. Then open it.

Neil
RH
Richard_Hsu
Feb 29, 2004
Thanks people…! I’ve forwarded your responses to the agency.

cheers
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 1, 2004
Thomas – please create new topics instead of adding to existing, unrelated topics. And it sounds like you might have a 16 bit/channel image in CS and 16 bit/channel layers were only added in CS….
TK
Thomas_Kirkpatrick
Mar 2, 2004
Sorry Chris. I am very new to PS and even newer to your forums. I’ll stick to established protocols now that I know the deal. In any event, thank you for your response. It solved my problem.
RH
Richard_Hsu
Mar 5, 2004
Just to update with you all, an accidental meeting with a person who said that the problem is the OSx drive (per per Chris remark!). His personal experience: "A similar problem was visited by G3 (then OS?) which was rectified in G4-OS9 but somehow the problem has resurfaced again in the G5-OSx."

To overcome this, I’ve re-burnt the CD as MAC-tiff (rather than PC-tiff) and also in PhotoShop file until it is further rectified.

PS: The G5-OSx even wouldn’t let the CD files be copied to the hard drive.

Well, hope that concludes the mystery and many thanks to your very helpful feedbacks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections