Posted By
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Richard,
I have PE v.1, however PE v.2 probably has this as well. Go to your palette well and drag out the effects palette.
In the drop down box select all and scroll to vignette, then apply to your active selection. This may serve your purpose without much fussing.
Ken

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NS
Nancy S
Aug 7, 2003
Richard,

Another thing you can try;

On a copy….

Click on a selection tool and see that there is no feather selected. You’re finished with that tool, can pick up the innocuous magnifier for safety.
Ctrl/click on MASK, one layer at a time. The selection line will not be truly accurate as it will not select pixels less than 50% density. Select>modify>expand by some number of pixels (the number to produce a new line which will be the limits of visible image including new feathered edges) to increase what will be the area of image showing through. With white showing as your ‘top’ color at bottom of toolbox, choose the paintbucket from toolbox and click within the modified selection border. Try one of these;
* Select>feather (by a significant amount)
* Select>Inverse
* Hit Delete key Or–
* With new, expanded selection line active, on mask go Filter>Gaussian Blur, guage amount by preview window.
* This will only effect the edges of the image

I have made a collage by;

Have a layer with a mask, all white. On workarea, make unfeathered selection line around area I want to keep (a generous amount as this will include the feathered amount). Select>Inverse. Click on mask thumbnail, have black be top color in toolbox, fill with paintbucket. Select>Inverse,Select>feather,Select>Inverse, hit delete key.
NS
Nancy S
Aug 7, 2003
Richard,

Forgot…

You can always fine tune your composite by clicking on a mask thumbnail and painting with either black or white with partial opacity. (the same as if you painted with a grey shade). I would use a very small opacity and gradually build up.
RH
Richard Hirschman
Aug 7, 2003
Hi Ken,
Thanks for your response. Your suggestion would do the trick except for the following:
1) When I apply the vignette as you suggested using "vignette," from the "effects palette," I am then asked to flatten visible layers and discard hidden layers – not good for working on a collage.
2) I can’t figure a way to control the amount of vignetting using this approach. Nevertheless I do appreciate the suggestion. Perhaps you have some comments on how to get around these two problems. If so, it would be an easy technique for a collage.
Richard
<http://www.pbase.com/doowopper>
RH
Richard Hirschman
Aug 7, 2003
Jane,
Thanks for your kind comments about my photos.
Richard
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 7, 2003
Richard,
This automated effect obviously does not allow you to control the degree of feathering. You could copy the flattened image to the clipboard and then paste it in to a new document. Seems like a long way to achieve a goal. I copied the following method from PC PHOTO, Sept. 2002:
1. Open in RGB mode
2. Select subject and some of the area around it with appropriate tool, eg oval , circle …
3.With selection still activated, invert it – Select>inverse. This command will select everything around your subject in the area where your vignette will be created.
4.With selection still activated (but now inverted) feather it using Select>feather. Here you can control the amount of feathering.
5.Can get background of your choice with Edit>fill command.
6. Alternately, you can create a new layer(layer>new>layer), choose the color of your choice and fill it (Edit>fill), and reduce the opacity as desired.
7. Or, with the selection still active, you can copy (Edit>copy) and paste( Edit>paste) into a new layer. Then you can modify with tools such as curves, levels, hue/saturation, etc. Layers gives you maximal control.
Hope that this helps.
Ken
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 7, 2003
Hi Richard, The feathering tutorial was Nancy’s, I too am still learning how to do a collage correctly, and I am very glad she and Ken put these instructions here.
Here is my third attempt,
<http://www.pbase.com/image/20101350>
and you can see, I haven’t learned how to feather them right. But each try gets better,,,,,,, sure is fun! Lessons too.
Jane
NS
Nancy S
Aug 7, 2003
Jane,

All you need to do is
* click on layer containing one of the images
* ctrl/click (or Mac equivalent, command?) to select small image on its own layer * Select>feather (large amount probably, like 20 or so) * Select>Inverse
* hit delete key on keyboard
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 8, 2003
Hi Nancy, Must try that tomorrow!
Thanks, Jane
RH
Richard Hirschman
Aug 8, 2003
Hi Nancy,
Thanks for your detailed instructions on feathering. I tried it last night and had all sorts of trouble. As a newbie with PE2, I must be missing something obvious. Following your instructions, here is what I did. I wanted to feather an image on one layer in my collage.
1) I turned off the visibility of all layers, except the one I am interested in feathering. (The layer has a layer mask.) Aside from the image on that layer, the rest of the layer is transparent.
2) Your first instruction – ctrl/click mask: When I hit ctrl/click on the mask icon for that layer in the layers palette, everything in that layer is selected, including the transparent part of the layer. Then, if I try to use select>modify>expand, the expand choice is grayed out (no pixels to expand). So, I assume right from the get go, that I am not doing something properly. Instead, if I click on the image icon, just the image on that layer is selected. I left it that way (image selected).
3) Your instuction – select>modify>expand: With a selection ("marching ants") around my image, I chose select>modify>expand (by 30 pixels). What this did was to expand the selection area to include some of the transparency around the image. There is only one "marching ants" line and, as I just wrote, it includes a 30 pixel border of the transparent part of the layer around my image.
4) Your instruction: White showing as my foreground color – choose paint bucket and click within the modified selection area: If I then click within the transparent area within the selction line ("marching ants), nothing happens. Instead, if I then click within the image, the image is replaced by white.
At this point I am sure I am way off in terms of where I should be with your instructions. Sorry for my naivete about this, but before I go any further with your instructions and compound my errors even more, could you please tell me where I am going wrong.
Thanks again.
Richard
RH
Richard Hirschman
Aug 8, 2003
Ray,
Thanks for checking out my photos and your words about them. Richard
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 8, 2003
Richard, have you achieved what you’ve been trying to get? If not, maybe we can try some more…

Chuck
RH
Richard Hirschman
Aug 8, 2003
Hi Chuck,
I finished one version of the collage (http://www.pbase.com/image/20138604) but it does not have feathering. (That’s me in the lower right corner of the collage.) In another post here, Nancy said she would get back to me on her instructions regarding feathering and I will try another version of the collage, with feathering, after I "hear" from her. Thanks for asking.
Richard
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 8, 2003
Richard, nice collage! Beautiful family, too!!

Remind me, please – are you wanting each one of the pictures to have a ‘soft’ border that sort of follows the contours of the people in each picture? Trying to picture exactly what you’re trying to accomplish…

To put a soft vignette around each of your images, I would do the following:

1. Put the images on individual layers and add a layer mask. Turn the visibility off for all but the one you’re working on.
2. For each image, use the Lasso tool or other selection tool to select the portion of the image you want to show.
3. Go to Select, Feather and put in a value, say 30 pixels.
4. Do a Select, Inverse, which will select everything outside what you want
to show.
5. On the layers palette, click on the mask associated with the picture you’ve selected; the symbol next to the eyeball will be a circle, not a brush.
6. Do an Edit, Fill using Black – this will mask everything on the layer except that which you want to see show through. It should now have that nice feathered edge you’re looking for
7. Repeat for each image
8. When you have them all vignetted, you can use the Move tool to place them. Happily, with a layer mask, the mask follows the image (isn’t quite so easy with other kinds of mask!
9. If you want to overlap some of them, you may have to change their order in the layer palette to get the one you want on top.

By the time I finish this, Nancy will probably be dropping in, but this is my two cents on it!

πŸ™‚

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 9, 2003
Nancy, good explanation! However, I’m not sure I follow your comments about my method; I was using layer masks, not selecting, feathering and cropping the individual images….very similar to your method 2. Changing what was cropped would be as simple as touching up or replacing the layer mask. Could you elaborate on what you saw I was doing differently?

Thanks, Chuck
NS
Nancy S
Aug 9, 2003
Chuck,

It’s me….seems I haven’t been functioning as well as usual lately…blame it on having a bad day. Just bare with me til the real Nancy returns please! πŸ™‚

Nancy
NS
Nancy S
Aug 9, 2003
<giggling> just couldn’t resist teasing one of my favorite people πŸ™‚
NS
Nancy S
Aug 9, 2003
Chuck,

I looked into that new S. Kelby book, I believe it was you who recommended it…think it is worth the pricetag? (which was around 30-35 at Amazon) Looked at a few sample pages etc…interesting.

Nancy
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 9, 2003
OK!!!! (chuckling….!)
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 9, 2003
Nancy, I really like the book a lot. But I’m also a sucker for books, so I need to make that disclaimer right away. Now if you lived a little closer to civilization, you could pop down to Barnes&Noble, grab a lattΓ© at Starbuck’s, curl up in an easy chair and read the book for an hour or so – then make a choice. However, being disadvantaged as you are, stuck out there in the beautiful rolling hills of California, I guess you just have to forego that adventure and ride a horse or take a nice hike or something like that…and then decide whether to risk buying the book!

πŸ™‚

Chuck
RH
Richard Hirschman
Aug 9, 2003
Hi Nancy and Chuck,
Wow! Great techniques and clear as a bell. They will help me do just what I want to do with collages. Thanks so much for your time and knowledge. Nancy, I sure do appreciate your quick response after a hard days work – better than I could do.
Regarding the Scott Kelby book – are you referring to, "The Photoshop Book?" If so, I bought it about 2 weeks ago. From a newbie’s perspective, it is terrific – lots of good techniques, most of which can be used can be used in PE2.
Thanks again for bearing with me on the feathering stuff. Richard
<http://www/pbase.com/doowopper>
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 9, 2003
Richard, glad the techniques will work for you. I’m predicting that within a few short weeks you’ll be answering questions here for others!

Chuck
NS
Nancy S
Aug 9, 2003
Richard,

I’ll cast my vote with Chuck on that! You’re a good sport Richard.

<going to catch a little shuteye before I take that ride on this beautiful day…>

Nancy
P
Phosphor
Aug 10, 2003
I spent a happy childfree hour in Borders with a mug of coffee and Mr Kelby’s photoshop book for photographers. It’s good. but at $A prices not really worth buying – I prefer Katrin Eismann’s book (although that is more heavily weighted towards retouching old photos). If money was no object i’d have both of course, (I’m a book junkie too – one of the reasons we are househunting at the moment is that our current residence has run out of wall space to put bookshelves..!) There is an Elements edition of Scott Kelby’s book due out very soon which might be worth waiting for
Susan S
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 10, 2003
Susan, that’s good intelligence on an Elements edition of Kelby’s book – that would be ideal. Is Eismann’s second edition on the shelves there yet?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections