MR
Posted By
Michael Rosen
Aug 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am following the "how to" instructions for removing red eye but the pupils now look an eery silver instead of the evil red. I selected default colors per the instructions. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Mike

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
showard
Aug 7, 2003
i have the same problem and am interested in some pointers on this seemingly easy item.
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 7, 2003
Mike,
Try this:
1. Zoom in on eyes
2. Use lasso tool to select one eye
3. Hold down shift key and select other eye with lasso
4. Feather selection by 1 pixel (select>feather)
5. Bring up hue/saturation adj. layer
6. Select "reds" from drop down menu
7. Slide lightness down to -100
Ken
MR
Michael Rosen
Aug 7, 2003
Thanks to everyone.

Ken, trying your suggestions first, I don’t see "reds" in the drop down menu of the hue/saturation adj. layer. I selected Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Hue/Saturation to get there.

Thanks,
Mike
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 7, 2003
Mike,
First mistake that I ever made. How did the correction come out? Ken
NS
Nancy S
Aug 7, 2003
Michael,

Though it seems reasonable that pupils should be black, it doesn’t work out well. The eyes would appear to belong to some sort of zombie! Just a suggestion of what color not to substitute.
NS
Nancy S
Aug 7, 2003
Michael,

forgot…
it often dramatically improves an image to put a ‘catch light’ in the eyes. On a new blank layer above image, zoom way in and with small brush add a ‘ very close to white’ spot to each eye, a glint.
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 7, 2003
Nancy,
I concur. Can leave just a little red in the pupil to make it look more realistic. Probably can color eye to look quite natural if the luminosity is preserved. Ken
P
Phosphor
Aug 7, 2003
Mike,

Maybe you’re not going far enough into the process to get to the color selection on the Hue/Sat. layer.

When you go the route you describe, above, after selecting Hue/Saturation, the first thing that comes up is the "New Layer" dialog. Just click OK, and THEN the Hue/Saturation dialog comes up, with the "Edit" dropdown at the top, pre-set to the default "master". Open the list and pick red (or any other color listed to play around with them). I find it sometimes useful to also reduce Magenta this way, to un-demonize eyes.

HTH,

Byron
J
jhbrooks
Aug 7, 2003
I have an easy solution that I’m happy with.

* zoom in so you can see both eyes at once
* use the Red Eye tool first
* for touch up use the Burn Tool. Set Range to Shadows, Exposure to 25% and use the "[" or "]" keys to get the circle the right size. (Use Shift [ or Shift ] for fine tuning between size jumps). Touch each puple until you’re happy with it.

I like this solution because it’s fast and it leaves the catch lights alone (because you are only darkening the shadows).

jb

"Michael Rosen" wrote in message
I am following the "how to" instructions for removing red eye but the
pupils now look an eery silver instead of the evil red. I selected default colors per the instructions. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Mike
PL
Paul L UK
Aug 8, 2003
Adding to Ken & Byron, I tend to take the saturation down to about -90, as well as reduce the lightness to about the same. (Only on reds)

Paul

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections