Does PSE *really* require Intel Pentium ?

P
Posted By
pauligoe10
Aug 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Folks,

I am trying to create an image processing system from scratch. Had just about decided on something based on PSE running on an AMD based pc (hp pavilion a110), when I noticed in the system requirements for PSE – Intel Pentium.
A quick search on this group seems to show others using AMD, so I’m wondering – can I safely go ahead with AMD? Intel based pc’s tend to be more expensive – are there real benefits I might regret not having later.

All advice much appreciated.

TIA,
Paul

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Major Malfunction
Aug 6, 2003
"Paul Igoe" wrote in message
Folks,

I am trying to create an image processing system from scratch. Had just about decided on something based on PSE running on an AMD based pc (hp pavilion a110), when I noticed in the system requirements for PSE – Intel Pentium.
A quick search on this group seems to show others using AMD, so I’m wondering – can I safely go ahead with AMD? Intel based pc’s tend to be more expensive – are there real benefits I might regret not having later.
It’s bound to start a real argument, but here goes:

Back in the bad old days, AMD was a poor clone of Intel’s processor. Since then, AMD has dramatically improved its reliability and functionality. I’ve not worked with PSE on an AMD system, but so far anyone’s AMD system I’ve worked on has been OK running everyone else’s applications. I still feel that Intel does have a performance edge over AMD. Personally, I buy only Intel systems for my home use. I don’t find the added cost that great.

Bottom line: flip a coin. As long as the rest of the PC is built around reliable components, I would not expect any hardware issues or any software compatibility problems. I’d be more concerned with Operating System Security.
L
Larry
Aug 6, 2003
"Paul Igoe" wrote in message
Folks,

All advice much appreciated.

TIA,
Paul

I’ve used PSE on both AMD and Intel machines; worked on both without a single problem. I currently run it on an AMD XP 2200 with 1Gb of RAM and it works like a dream,

Darran West

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections