GM
Posted By
Gregory Martinez
Aug 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the proper procedure in saving JPEG files tha have been edited by PE2?

They do not appear in iPhoto after I import them.

For example if I take a JPEG or PSD file and fix it with PE2 and then save it as a JPEG file, how do I make it actually appear in iPhoto.

Note: I am using most recent version of iPhoto.

OS 10.2.6, 768 MB RAM

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Aug 6, 2003
If you have iphoto set up the way I do, then double clicking the image in iphoto will open it up in elements – then after editing, flatten and save as a JPG with the original name and it should be saved in the right location for iphoto to see it. iphoto can import PSD files but won’t recognise one as having been edited if it’s saved as anything other than a jpg.
Mark – doing things this way then you can hit the revert button in iphoto and revert to the original image which iphoto retains somewhere in the bowels of its arcane filing system – if I do a lot of editing I will also save a duplicate layered psd in another folder outside iphoto. (Actually I import the original files into another folder outsde iphoto and back-up these on CD – the best of selection then makes it into iphoto as it is easy to run slideshows from there.
S
smithsc
Aug 9, 2003
Carl,

Sounds like a winner. Mine is different only in that I make a separate folder from each CF card download and edit those in PSE while putting a second original in iPhoto, where I make slideshows, homepage collections and (someday) picture books.

Steve
P
Phosphor
Aug 9, 2003
Carl –
I guess the difference in approach is that I use iphoto as an organiser for my final edited images, rather than for the original camera shots. I import original RAW or Jpeg files, using a card reader, into folders on my hard disk, organised by date, and burn them to CD. After I’ve worked out which are the best ones I then import these (often already edited, if so saved as psds) into iphoto. iphoto gets around the problem of multiple saving of jpegs causing degradation by allowing reversion to the original – which I always do if I want to further edit. If I do lot of editing then I do save a layered psd in the same folder as the original jpeg. But with my new camera often all most images need is a crop, levels adjustment and slight sharpening.
So when the kids want to look at a subset of family photos by running themselves an iphoto slideshow (which is how we mainly look at these things) they see the edited versions rather than the straight out of the camera disasters! I also find it quicker to do multipage prints from iphoto than Elements (although the quality is definitely not quite as good).

It’s not a perfect solution. I don’t much like the arcane storage system and file multiplication that iphoto creates. In an ideal world I’d like some sort of catalogueing system that links keywords and titles and can play slideshows easily from my existing folder hierarchy.

Susan S
CS
carl sutherland
Aug 9, 2003
Susan,

Sounds good to me. I think the message is that the system allows for differences in what is important to the user. I like that a lot instead of being forced into one preassigned program. I certainly will consider yours for the family images.

Carl

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections