Convert to profile>preview not previewing.

J
Posted By
JasonSmith
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I go to Mode>Convert to profile with preview on, it doesnt show what effect the conversion does. The preview goes unchanged.

If I hit ‘OK’, THEN I can see what changes take place, but not before hand.

Am I missing the point of what this ‘preview’ is actually previewing? Or is it simply not working for me?

PS CS, OS 10.2.6 G4DP 1.25ghz 2GB RAM

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GB
g_ballard
Feb 26, 2004
Jas,

I wouldn’t expect Convert To to have any change on PS’s screen (unless its going to a smaller gamut, if that’s what you’re saying?)?

The source is being Converted to MonitorRGB…no matter the source, it is being viewed in MonitorRGB?

Maybe you have SoftProofing on?
J
JasonSmith
Feb 26, 2004
In this particular case – yes there is a huge difference in conversion. I am trying different GCR settings – with Max K generation. Basically it is nothing more than a 4color black gradient going to white.

Previewing with just the C+m+y channels, I see no difference.

Once I commit to those changes, the CMY channels go blank. Huge difference.

In the preview, I should see those CMY channels go blank, but I dont.

Why?
J
JasonSmith
Feb 26, 2004
I should add that the file is in CMYK mode. I dont have softproofing on.

What I see in the preview is NOT what I get.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Feb 27, 2004
Pretty sure that Convert to Profile doesn’t support per-channel previews, just the composite. For what you want to do, Proof Setup will work instead.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 28, 2004
Thanks for the response Bruce.

I could’ve sworn it worked this way in PS 5.5. I havent tried it since then – but I guess I was mistaken.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Feb 28, 2004
Since PS 5.5 didn’t have Convert to Profile (it had the Profile-to-Profile command, which never previewed correctly anyway), I’d have to say that your recollection is faulty!
J
JasonSmith
Feb 28, 2004
Funny thing – there is an ever-so-slight shift when previewing the CMY channels, but nothing like the final change.
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 28, 2004
His eyes are faulty too, Bruce.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 28, 2004
Dont get me started on the UV lights with one of our presses here – I swear it’s starting to takes it’s toll.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 28, 2004
Since PS 5.5 didn’t have Convert to Profile (it had the Profile-to-Profile command, which never previewed correctly anyway), I’d have to say that your recollection is faulty! <

It would be nice if we had some of that back. I mean the ability to adjust the source and destination profile and a few things in between.

Hmm..

tweener?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 28, 2004
yes, tween me please………..

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections