Memory Usage Limitation, Please Raise it!

JK
Posted By
Jihoon_Kim
Feb 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I realize that on PhotoShop the limit for Available RAM is 2000MB. Actually with operation systems running it is about 1600~. Can you please make it at least 8 Gigs. Given that G5’s are made to handle 8 Gigs of ram and with the Xeon processor PC’s you can have up to 16 Gigs or ram, it would be nice to be able to utilize all the memory. With digital backs and files sizes easily in the 100mb+ range, I feel all that memory is necessary now. Add 16 bit layers and this and that, that 100mb file becomes huge quickly. I guess if I would of know that PS can only utilize 2 Gigs of ram I wouldn’t of purchased the machines with 8 Gigs of ram. Could of saved me some money and gotten more Adobe Products.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
JasonSmith
Feb 25, 2004
I’m sure it’s on their to-do list.

The new G5’s just came out, give it time for the S/W engineers to keep up.
G
graffiti
Feb 25, 2004
I guess if I would of know that PS can only utilize 2 Gigs of ram I wouldn’t of purchased the machines with 8 Gigs of ram.

If I remember correctly, that’s a limitation of the OS not the software.
JK
Jihoon_Kim
Feb 25, 2004
I called Adobe and they told me it is the limitation of PS.
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004
Jihoon,

As has been explained often in this forum, the 2GB is a limitation of 32-bit computing. This will not be changing in the next few years.

See post # 11 THIS THREAD <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.2ccfde01/10>

Hey, folks, it’s not an Adobe thing, an Apple thing, a Microsoft thing, or some conspiracy to keep the oppressed masses down. It’s a fundamental computer science limit. 2^32 = 4GB, the top bit is usually used to help distinguish system address space from application address space, so applications have 2^31=2GB of address space to work with.

Yes, it’s 640k all over again.

The solution? 64-bit chips, OSes, and apps. That’s going to take a few years.
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004

[Something went terribly wrong here] DELETED
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004

R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004

R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004

R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004

R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004

R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004

G
graffiti
Feb 25, 2004
It’s Deja Vu all over again.
JK
Jihoon_Kim
Feb 25, 2004
I thougth the G5 was a 64bit machine? I guess I am just lost.
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004
Wow! An occasional double post I can understand, but this is ridiculous. I blame it on the Windows box I’m working on right now, of course.
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004
Jihoon,

The G5 is indeed 64 bit capable, but neither Mac OS X nor Windows are 64-bit operating systems. It will take years.
R
Ram
Feb 26, 2004
Also, each application can use up to 2GB of RAM, therefore having extra memory means you can run several programs at once, each one at 100% of RAM.
B
Buko
Feb 26, 2004
the G5 is a 64bit machine, but all the software we have is 32bit. the OSX Panther is 32bit OS that is able to work on a 64bit box We are getting there slowly but surley. At least you can have more than one app running with 2 gig of RAM for each if you have 8GB in your box.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections