TB
Posted By
Toby Beavers
Aug 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to save some images after resizing and everytime I go to save them I get this encircled Red X that says:

Could Not Save …..JPG
because the file is locked.
Use the Properties command in the Windows Explorer to unlock file

I’ve searched everywhere for this ….where is it before I pull out what’s left of my hair?

Pls give me step by step…..

Gracias Amigos
Toby

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy S
Aug 5, 2003
Toby,

It sounds like the file properties are "read only"
NS
Nancy S
Aug 5, 2003
Toby,

Locate the file in Explorer…right click…choose properties…uncheck ‘read only’
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 5, 2003
Tony – just in case, these images aren’t on a CD are they? If so, they have to be copied to the hard drive before you can do any work on them and save the changes.

Nancy’s suggestion may have cured your problem, but I thought I’d add this in case anyone else does a search for "locked files".
TB
Toby Beavers
Aug 5, 2003
Thankyou ALL so much….Nancy gets the big hug!!!

Sincerelyyyyyyyyyyyyy Toby
NS
Nancy S
Aug 5, 2003
Toby,

ah gee, shucks….it weren’t nothin’

🙂

Glad you found out before more frustration set in…maybe next time you should post a little sooner in your quandry….save the hair you know…
ML
Marty Landolt
Aug 6, 2003
BETH,
Before I get all hot and sweaty over this…. I don’t remember ever "locking" or making files "Read Only". I did back up stuff on CD-R/CD-RW under the heading that it could be read only on MY computer.
If I do any ‘clicking’ on those files I get tht message "locked or read only". I even bought a new monitor for the old computer so that I could still recover all those files. Warning…don’t ever back up with that stipulation thinking the present computer will be with you forever…dummie me.
Marty
NS
Nancy S
Aug 6, 2003
Marty,

Rewrittable CDs (CD-RW) are tempermental, often they will only work on computer which made them. MUCH better idea to use CD-Rs only. All files burned to a CD will show as ‘Read Only’. Just copy/paste the file from the CD to a folder on computer. Right click on file in Explorer, choose properties and UNcheck the box that says "Read Only", that’s all there is to it!

Nancy
DJ
Dave Johnston
Sep 13, 2003
I see this thread petered out without confirmation that it worked. Unchecking the "Read-only" box in Properties may have worked for the original questioner, but not for me. I have bee having the same problem repeatedly, with many different files of both jpg and psd type, without finding a resolution. The "Read-only" box isn’t checked! Checking it and then unchecking it doesn’t work. Neither does exiting Elements and reloading the file; rebooting, etc. etc. My only recourse has been to save the file under a new name. Even then, I can’t delete the orginal file, because Windows says "the file may be in use" (even after closing Elements.) I end up with a string of large, redudant files cluttering my hard drive.

I know this sounds like a Windows problem (I have ME), but it only occurs after having modified the file in Elements. Anyone else experienced this phenomenon, and found a solution?

Dave
PL
Paul L UK
Sep 14, 2003
Dave

I have experienced a different problem, but same dilemma. When copying or moving files to a CDR/CDRW, the original folder on the hard drive cannot be deleted, because ‘some other programme is using it’.
I have never found what it was, but with yours it sounds like it is opened in two applications, i.e. altering one, you cant save as original because the file is still open. Try booting in save mode, then launching elements and making alterations, then saving. If it works, you may have to go through the log and drawn out path of running msconfig and building up the running applications until you find the culprit; that is, there is nothing associated with the open file except elements.

Long and tedious, not garuanteed to work, but it is a suggestion.

Paul
DJ
Dave Johnston
Sep 14, 2003
Paul:

That’s a suggestion worth trying. Although it shouldn’t necessary to go through all that just to save a file in Elements.

I’ll experiement with your ideas and try to reprot back on the results. thanks.

Dqave
PL
Paul L UK
Sep 15, 2003
Dave

As an afterthought, if you run elements from boot-up do you have any problems ?.

If you run elements after doing anything else, do you then have problems ?.

If so, then one of your other apps could be causing it (possibly Roxio)

Paul

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections