GA
Posted By
Gary_A._Swiech
Feb 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I use the new "Color Replacement tool" in Photoshop CS I always get a color that is much, and I mean very much, lighter than the color I choose to replace. Even when using it to fix red eye and I choose black it comes out light grey. Let’s say I chose RGB red, the repacement color is a light orange/redish color.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or how to fix this problem?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 25, 2004
That depends on the blend mode you set for the tool.

Replacing color means that the lightness remains the same as the original color….
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Feb 25, 2004
Make sure any adjustment layers are turned off also.
TS
Thomas_S._England
Feb 26, 2004
I had the same problem, but was guided to the answer by David Nagel on the DMN forums:

"That brush attempts to keep some of the detail, meaning the luminosity, of the base image. So, if you go over a light area, you’re going to wind up with a pale version of your source color. You can avoid this by first going over the area in the Luminosity mode, followed by the Color mode, but you will necessarily lose some details."
DR
David_Rethoret
Mar 3, 2004
Although PS CS touts Color Matching between layers, I cannot find pertinent info on this in the User Guide index or under PS ‘Help’, where I was told it was. I’m trying to match facial tones of various theatrical head shots in color.
H
Hexebah
Mar 5, 2004
Before this thread disappears I thought I’d pass on a cool liitle tip for removing colour noise with the Colour Replacement tool. Set your CR options to Mode = Colour, Sampling = Continuous, Limits = Find Edges, and a Tolerance of about 30%. Sample a similar area nearby with less noise if possible. Now paint away the noisy areas. Try it on a duplicated layer as you can then reduce the copied layer’s opacity if the effect is too strong.

chip
H
Hexebah
Mar 5, 2004
David – IMO the Colour Matching Adjustment would work best in a studio setting where the colour should be the same. Trying to match colours to shots taken in different situations using this Adjustment would be tough. Have you tried using selections of the facial areas when trying to Match Colour?

chip

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections