L
Posted By
leftwinger
Sep 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For those out there that have or had the Wacom Intuos pens and pads was just wondering how you would rate them for correcting pictures and etc. Thanks. Larry

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
escargot
Sep 20, 2007
On Sep 19, 6:05 pm, "leftwinger\(as in hockey\)" wrote:
For those out there that have or had the Wacom Intuos pens and pads was just wondering how you would rate them for correcting pictures and etc. Thanks. Larry

Cannot beat it! When I first started, I was like, don’t need it………….. Started doing more illustrations, okay maybe…………. Now where ever I go and will be working on the computer I bring it.
It’s an absolute must if you are really into any graphic element on the computer.

If you are not sure, go with a cheaper model. For what you are doing, that would probably be fine. As far as pad size, really factor in what kind of working space area you have.
L
R
Roberto
Sep 20, 2007
"leftwinger(as in hockey)" wrote in message
For those out there that have or had the Wacom Intuos pens and pads was just wondering how you would rate them for correcting pictures and etc. Thanks.
Larry

Wouldn’t be without one. However, now besides having the expensive Intuos 3 or the cheaper Graphire 3 you have the three new Bamboo models to choose from.

Somebody!
J
Joel
Sep 20, 2007
"leftwinger\(as in hockey\)" wrote:

I have been using tablet for everything for over a decade (probably close to 2 decades?), and I won’t go without it. I started with PUCK, and it took me many years to decide to go without mouse, and it took me around 2 weeks to not missing rotten, and almost 2 months to master the pen.

And I always hold the pen while typing, just like regular pen/pencil.
J
Joel
Sep 20, 2007
"leftwinger\(as in hockey\)" wrote:

BTW, you can go with Graphire model which should be fine. I started with 12×12" (cost me little over $1K) then upgraded to 9×12" (cost me around $800) then upgraded to 4×6" Wacom Graphire (cost me around $75), and I just got Wacom Intuos 4×6" (cost me $109 for refurbished)

I don’t use lot of pressure so I don’t see any difference between Graphire and Intuos. But the presure and tilt would be handy if I do painting instead of retouching.
G
garypoyssick
Sep 20, 2007
I write more than I paint, and draw more than I paint, too.

We’ve had them here for obvious reasons (to learn about them) but long-term they’re not taught in every schools (used, I should say), so they’re somewhat outside our realm.

People we know who use them, though — and that number is in the dozens — love them to death. I don’t think I know anybody that’s bought one and hated it. Maybe not used it, but not hated it either 🙂

Gary in tampa

On 9/19/07 6:05 PM, in article ,
"leftwinger(as in hockey)" wrote:

B
BubblyBabs
Sep 20, 2007
For those out there that have or had the Wacom Intuos pens and pads was just wondering how you would rate them for correcting pictures and etc. Thanks.
Larry

I had mine for several years now… It’s excellent for photoshop… It’s also great for playing online games (Quake2 & 3)… Best of all, no batteries to worry about in the mouse if you use it…

Babs
N
noone
Sep 21, 2007
In article ,
says…

I’ve used Wacom tablets since Serial was the only conncetion and own 5. I could not work in PS, or Painter, without them. I use them less with Premiere, AI and InDesign/PageMaker, but for the first two programs, you’d be more likely to get my guns, before you’d get my Wacom(s).

Hunt
W
Waterspider
Sep 22, 2007
Larry
Waaay better than mousing it, much finer control, much smoother lines. I envied my buddy’s Intuos for some time before finally biting the bullet and getting my own. I rationalized the purchase but thought of it as more toy than tool– was I ever wrong; today I couldn’t live without it.

Yay Habitants!
J
Joel
Sep 22, 2007
"Waterspider" wrote:

Larry
Waaay better than mousing it, much finer control, much smoother lines. I envied my buddy’s Intuos for some time before finally biting the bullet and getting my own. I rationalized the purchase but thought of it as more toy than tool– was I ever wrong; today I couldn’t live without it.
Yay Habitants!

Also, one thing I don’t like about Wacom product is that they use CHEAPIE marterial like the NIP and Overlay sheet very easily scratch and wearout.

My Graphire, the overlay sheet got scratched badly after few light move across the surface, and I had to cover the surface with 2 self-laminates (taped to Wacom with tape), and the Nip wore out badly (that was one of the reason why I upgraded to Intuos).

The Overlay sheet of the Intuos is little better than the Graphire, but I already saw some light scratches, so I taped the surface with a pice of laminate too, and the NIP already show some sign of wearing out .. even I am very careful and use very lightly. Comparing to other tablet I used before, they last for life with lot of abuse .. not a single scratch on the overlay-sheet and the nip was good as new after years of abusive. matter fact, the surface was designed like writing on real paper or it had some texture instead of smooth like Wacom’s.
S
shooter
Sep 22, 2007
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:15:51 -0500, Joel wrote:

Also, one thing I don’t like about Wacom product is that they use CHEAPIE marterial like the NIP and Overlay sheet very easily scratch and wearout.
My Graphire, the overlay sheet got scratched badly after few light move across the surface, and I had to cover the surface with 2 self-laminates (taped to Wacom with tape), and the Nip wore out badly (that was one of the reason why I upgraded to Intuos).

The Overlay sheet of the Intuos is little better than the Graphire, but I already saw some light scratches, so I taped the surface with a pice of laminate too, and the NIP already show some sign of wearing out .. even I am very careful and use very lightly. Comparing to other tablet I used before, they last for life with lot of abuse .. not a single scratch on the overlay-sheet and the nip was good as new after years of abusive. matter fact, the surface was designed like writing on real paper or it had some texture instead of smooth like Wacom’s.

I put a sheet of glass over my tablet. It really reduced the amount of wear on the nib and it glides over the surface. Smooth as…. well, glass! Just be sure you attach it well with your choice of tape, putty or whatever and always remove the glass when you move the tablet. (not responsible for breakage)

RG
J
Joel
Sep 22, 2007
wrote:

I put a sheet of glass over my tablet. It really reduced the amount of wear on the nib and it glides over the surface. Smooth as…. well, glass! Just be sure you attach it well with your choice of tape, putty or whatever and always remove the glass when you move the tablet. (not responsible for breakage)

RG

I think the glass would be little smoother than the laminate (plastic), and I may go for the glass if I have the time to find a small piece. But Wacom should know better not to use cheap marterial (even it’s Made In China they can pay them few cents more to have better plastic).
S
SpaceGirl
Sep 23, 2007
Joel wrote:
wrote:

RG

I think the glass would be little smoother than the laminate (plastic), and I may go for the glass if I have the time to find a small piece. But Wacom should know better not to use cheap marterial (even it’s Made In China they can pay them few cents more to have better plastic).

I really wonder what they heck you guys are doing to your tablets! I also have 3; one tiny one I carry around with my PowerBook, a big one at my desk at the studio I work at during the day, and a huge one on my Mac Pro at my home studio. Two of them are totally ancient, and have no scratches! I use them a lot, and the oldest one (the one with my laptop) has had some pretty rough treatment over the years (photo retouching on the fly at music festivals, been dropped several times, had small children try to carve their names with the pen into it….).

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.northleithmill.com

-.-

Kammy has a new home: http://www.bitesizedjapan.com
L
Larry
Sep 23, 2007
Joel wrote:
wrote:

Based on the thread here, I ordered a tablet (9 x 12 Intuos) and I’ve never used one, but I’m confused by those of you who are adding a glass layer. On their website, they talk about different levels of pressure (I think there are 1024) and pen angle, etc. Doesn’t glass eliminate that?

Larry
rapp at lmr dot com
J
Joel
Sep 23, 2007
SpaceGirl wrote:

<snip>

I really wonder what they heck you guys are doing to your tablets! I also have 3; one tiny one I carry around with my PowerBook, a big one at my desk at the studio I work at during the day, and a huge one on my Mac Pro at my home studio. Two of them are totally ancient, and have no scratches! I use them a lot, and the oldest one (the one with my laptop) has had some pretty rough treatment over the years (photo retouching on the fly at music festivals, been dropped several times, had small children try to carve their names with the pen into it….).

May be you need to use the tablet more often? Here, I am very gentle with my toys, especially I know about the problem (and many others do to, and Wacom sells Overlay sheet and Nips replacement).

I use pen 100% and no mouse for over a decade. The Intuos is only few months old and I already feel one side of the nip wore out a little.
S
SpaceGirl
Sep 23, 2007
Joel wrote:
SpaceGirl wrote:

<snip>

May be you need to use the tablet more often? Here, I am very gentle with my toys, especially I know about the problem (and many others do to, and Wacom sells Overlay sheet and Nips replacement).

Could be! I spent many hours every day in PhotoShop and Illustrator (although, to be honest I prefer the mouse in Illy), but I also spend more hours working in Flash and FCP, which I use the mouse with.

I use pen 100% and no mouse for over a decade. The Intuos is only few months old and I already feel one side of the nip wore out a little.

I couldn’t work like that… for one, it wouldn’t really work well with my primary setup (19" + 30" + 19" desktop) as they don’t make tablets anywhere near the right aspect ration for me! The pen is fantastic in PS and Painter, but I find it slows me down in other programs.

I tend to use PS full-screen-no-menus.

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.northleithmill.com

-.-

Kammy has a new home: http://www.bitesizedjapan.com
J
Joel
Sep 23, 2007
Larry wrote:

Joel wrote:
wrote:

Based on the thread here, I ordered a tablet (9 x 12 Intuos) and I’ve never used one, but I’m confused by those of you who are adding a glass layer. On their website, they talk about different levels of pressure (I think there are 1024) and pen angle, etc. Doesn’t glass eliminate that?

The level isn’t based on the pressure you press on the tablet, and the pen doesn’t need to touch the tablet for it to work. The pressure is on the nip, and the nip contacts some mechanical part inside the pen to give different level of pressure. I believe most if not all my older tablets (I started using tablet little more than 2 decades ago) you can feel the nip moves in when you press.

Also, try to place your pen arounf 1/4-1/2" above the tablet and move around to see for yourself. Also, the Overlay sheet usually clear and you can lift it up to insert the drawing, photo whatever under the overlay sheet so you can TRACE.

And that’s why the original PUCK has a piece of clear plastic sticking out, and you see the cross "X". It’s a long link but you can see what the puck looks like

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.goldensoft ware.com/newsletter/54/images/Issue54Dlog4.png&imgrefurl =http://www.goldensoftware.com/newsletter/Issue54a.shtml&amp ;h=210&w=225&sz=75&hl=en&start=1&um=1&am p;tbnid=ARplzEG31O_wjM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=108&prev=/ images%3Fq%3D%2522tablet%2Bpuck%2522%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%2 6hl%3Den%26client%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

And what I am trying to say that sometime it isn’t a piece of soft paper, but it can be some hard marterial.
J
Joel
Sep 23, 2007
SpaceGirl wrote:

<snip>

Could be! I spent many hours every day in PhotoShop and Illustrator (although, to be honest I prefer the mouse in Illy), but I also spend more hours working in Flash and FCP, which I use the mouse with.

The pen has always glued to my fingers every time I use computer. I use for everything, surfing, typing, retouching, video authoring… and I don’t have any mouse around me.

I couldn’t work like that… for one, it wouldn’t really work well with my primary setup (19" + 30" + 19" desktop) as they don’t make tablets anywhere near the right aspect ration for me! The pen is fantastic in PS and Painter, but I find it slows me down in other programs.

I don’t think of the pen any more special than any normal pen, the pointer is no more special than the cursor on screen which moves exactly same way the mouse does and even better.

And just like my grandkids when they first tried to control the mouse, the cursor moved out_of_control and even disappeared on screen. But after weeks of using they all mastered the movement without having to think about it. Same with pen, I know it works similar to mouse and puck, but it played trick on me just like the first time I tried the mouse.

Tablet doesn’t care if you work on 19" or 40" screen, because the surface of tablet should fit any screen size (may be little odd between regular and wide screen? my laptop is widescreen and I use Graphire tablet but don’t do heavy work to pay much attention to it). And you can MAP the active area if you wish.

I tend to use PS full-screen-no-menus.

I don’t use lot of command, and often keyboard commands, but I don’t use full-screen mode. I work alot on portraiture so I often zoom in very close to work on skin-texture. I often work with both hands, I am right-handed so right hand rubbing the pen while lefting control the zoom IN/OUT, brush size etc.. and I move the pen lot faster than real pencil sketching.
K
krash
Sep 24, 2007
the tip of the pen is called a NIB… come from pen and ink days… kk
K
KatWoman
Sep 24, 2007
"BubblyBabs" wrote in
Larry

I had mine for several years now… It’s excellent for photoshop… It’s also great for playing online games (Quake2 & 3)… Best of all, no batteries to worry about in the mouse if you use it…

Babs

well I am a gamer fps
and always wondered if I would be able to use the pen for a controller

did you have to modify your Player-user.ini to make it work?
J
Joel
Sep 25, 2007
"KatWoman" wrote:

"BubblyBabs" wrote in
Larry

Babs

well I am a gamer fps

Tablet for game? even I have never been a gamer myself (only tried solitary card game few times) but I don’t think pen is designed for game. But I may be wrong.
N
noone
Sep 25, 2007
In article ,
says…
Joel wrote:
wrote:

[SNIP]

I agree. My oldest is about 12-15 years old, and is still fine. I have yet to even replace a nib on any of the stylii. I use these for PS and a ton in Painter with a lot of pressure-sensitive movement, but still have the original overlays and even nibs. I normally spend about 5 hours per day on one tablet, or another, and have spent 23.5 hrs./day, at some points.

If one went with glass, I’d suggest a lightly frosted pane, but then I like a tad of resistance with my stylus, like a Speedball on watercolor paper.

Hunt
B
BubblyBabs
Sep 25, 2007
"KatWoman" wrote in message
"BubblyBabs" wrote in
Larry

Babs

well I am a gamer fps

No, not for the mouse other than indicating which mouse button would do what function (shoot/jump/etc)… As to the pen, I don’t think you could do turns and such with the pen like you can with the mouse… Should be able to strafe, run, and all but turning on the spot would be difficult (I would think)…

What games do you play?

Babs
B
BubblyBabs
Sep 25, 2007
"Joel" wrote in message
"Waterspider" wrote:

Larry
Waaay better than mousing it, much finer control, much smoother lines. I envied my buddy’s Intuos for some time before finally biting the bullet and
getting my own. I rationalized the purchase but thought of it as more toy than tool– was I ever wrong; today I couldn’t live without it.
Yay Habitants!

My Graphire, the overlay sheet got scratched badly after few light move across the surface, and I had to cover the surface with 2 self-laminates (taped to Wacom with tape), and the Nip wore out badly (that was one of the
reason why I upgraded to Intuos).

Really? I must have gotten an unusually resilient overlay sheet because my original one is still in marvelous shape and I’ve had this one for over 5 years now…

I like the glass idea RG mentioned, bet it would glide nicely, will have to try it…

Babs
L
Larry
Sep 25, 2007
Joel wrote:
Larry wrote:

Joel wrote:
wrote:

The level isn’t based on the pressure you press on the tablet, and the pen doesn’t need to touch the tablet for it to work. The pressure is on the nip, and the nip contacts some mechanical part inside the pen to give different level of pressure. I believe most if not all my older tablets (I started using tablet little more than 2 decades ago) you can feel the nip moves in when you press.

Also, try to place your pen arounf 1/4-1/2" above the tablet and move around to see for yourself. Also, the Overlay sheet usually clear and you can lift it up to insert the drawing, photo whatever under the overlay sheet so you can TRACE.

And that’s why the original PUCK has a piece of clear plastic sticking out, and you see the cross "X". It’s a long link but you can see what the puck looks like

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.goldensoft ware.com/newsletter/54/images/Issue54Dlog4.png&imgrefurl =http://www.goldensoftware.com/newsletter/Issue54a.shtml&amp ;h=210&w=225&sz=75&hl=en&start=1&um=1&am p;tbnid=ARplzEG31O_wjM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=108&prev=/ images%3Fq%3D%2522tablet%2Bpuck%2522%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%2 6hl%3Den%26client%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

And what I am trying to say that sometime it isn’t a piece of soft paper, but it can be some hard marterial.

Thanks, Joel,

That explains it perfectly.

Larry
rapp at lmr dot com
E
ean
Sep 25, 2007
On Sep 19, 3:05 pm, "leftwinger\(as in hockey\)" wrote:

Absolutly love my graphics tablet, Best buy I’ve ever made. So much more control. If you don’t have one. Get one. You wont be dissapointed.

~Nick www.digitalsonfire.com
K
KatWoman
Sep 26, 2007
"BubblyBabs" wrote in
"BubblyBabs" wrote in
Larry

Babs

well I am a gamer fps

No, not for the mouse other than indicating which mouse button would do what function (shoot/jump/etc)… As to the pen, I don’t think you could do turns and such with the pen like you can with the mouse… Should be able to strafe, run, and all but turning on the spot would be difficult (I would think)…

What games do you play?

Babs

Unreal Tournament 2004
I use a logitech joystick
so 360’s are easy> modified user.ini file to make the strafe axis do turning it has software to create macros or match any key command to the stick I use the mouse in left hand to look up down>> big buttons on top to strafe (double tap to dodge)
side buttons to jump and crouch (MS Intellimouse)

it’s a weird set up I got used to when I shared a comp w hubby and he did a lot of flying sims
so a joystick was the controller we had
I figured out how to do Half Life with just the mouse but it was frustrating to change my setup

started with quake 1 and 2 got 3 and dropped it
had all versions of Unreal since it came out
hear I will need a new comp for the latest not out yet version

I like FPS only and mostly play team mods like Cap the Flag
B
BubblyBabs
Sep 27, 2007
"KatWoman" wrote in message
"BubblyBabs" wrote in
"BubblyBabs" wrote in
Larry

Babs

well I am a gamer fps

What games do you play?

Babs

Unreal Tournament 2004
I use a logitech joystick
so 360’s are easy> modified user.ini file to make the strafe axis do turning
it has software to create macros or match any key command to the stick I use the mouse in left hand to look up down>> big buttons on top to strafe (double tap to dodge)
side buttons to jump and crouch (MS Intellimouse)

it’s a weird set up I got used to when I shared a comp w hubby and he did a lot of flying sims
so a joystick was the controller we had
I figured out how to do Half Life with just the mouse but it was frustrating to change my setup

started with quake 1 and 2 got 3 and dropped it
had all versions of Unreal since it came out
hear I will need a new comp for the latest not out yet version
I like FPS only and mostly play team mods like Cap the Flag

I’ve never tried UT, will have to give it a go… I only do Q2 and 3 right now… I only do DM, tried CTF a few times but found that the need for cooperation w/ a bunch of idiotic 13 year olds w/ all their senseless cursing too irritating to bother (easier to ignore in DM)… That was years ago though, I should give it a try again, those 13 year olds should be in their 20’s by now and maybe mature enough to be fun to play with… 🙂

I’ll never forget playing Q2 w/ RatGirl, my voodoo card decided to crap out on me hours before the match and I had lag and PL so bad I was embarassed… It was supposed to be the big game between the 2 girls and my butt was creamed…

Anyway, my wacom mouse works just fine (in my left hand, right hand is for hand controls) – glides along just fine after all these years…

Babs

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections