Colors Displayed Incorrectly-Info pallette ?

BS
Posted By
Bruce_Senior
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Great scans left on the screen for days eventually looked awful. The surprise is that the info pallette reflected the bad greens that overcame the charcoal gray suit. I re-callibrated the aging monitor with an X-rite DTP92Q Optimizer and their Monitor Optimizer software. A restart in OS X and my scans were beautiful again with the info pallette showing proper values for what I saw.

Then I airbrushed a section of suit with neutral color while in "color" mode to remove a very slight green cast in one area. As I painted the suit turned an awful blue-ish while the info pallette said that the area was perfectly neutral, equal RG&B.

In the first case the info pallete revealed what the monitor was displaying eventhough the file was not that way. Later the info pallette revealed "the truth?" while the monitor displayed something else. ‘b’Where does the info pallette get it’s data? ‘b’and what could be going on here? Is my almost 3.5 year old monitor going bad? It’s a Samsung SyncMaster 900NF and has been good so far.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 25, 2004
The info palette doesn’t depend on your display profile, or the state of your display. It just uses the values in the file.

So, somewhere you’ve gotten confused about what was in your file(s).
B
Buko
Feb 25, 2004
read the FAQs your monitor profile is bad.
BS
Bruce_Senior
Feb 25, 2004
I’ve talked to Samsung’s tech support and they think that the behaviour I’m experiencing is indeed the signs of a monitor going bad. I’ve attached a different monitor and a profile for the new one and the blu-ish painting effects are gone. BUT the other monitor is so old that I have to use D50 at 1.8 to get enough brightness out of it and it still doesn’t seem to be enough so my file looks life-less now. The numbers say it’s fine though. Now a client has called with a gotta-have-it-morning request for a bunch of work. Thinking now I’ll throw money at the problem and (hopefully quickly) pick up a LaCie 22" Blue Eye monitor.
B
Buko
Feb 25, 2004
Before throwing money at a new monitor I’d see if redoing the monitor profile would fix the problem first. But then if you have too much money.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 25, 2004
Try using D65 instead of D50 for the monitor white point (D50 is already really dim).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections