R
Posted By
rewarren
Aug 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In addition to case, you might check for spaces in file names (a no-no: use dashes or underlines instead). Another possibility is that your link paths are absolute and not relative — so check the links in the file source to make sure they don’t include references to directory structures that don’t exist on your web server.

Bob Warren

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth Haney
Aug 3, 2003
Bob got it!! I thought I’d gotten all of the "suspect" characters out, but when he said spaces, I thought of characters/symbols that my Mac will accept but which Windows won’t. I went in and checked, and sure enough – the images exhibiting the problems have either a ‘/’ or a ‘&’ in them. Like I said, I thought I’d gotten all of those corrected. 🙁 At least I know what’s wrong now. Thanks, guys!

Now, do either of you happen to know if I can do that renaming within the galleries that have been created? Or will I have to rename the pictures and then rebuild the galleries? I can see where it would be kind of a pain to locate each spot where renaming has to happen. Maybe I’ll just experiment. Rebuilding the galleries will be the pits, too, because all of those names, dates, and locations will have to be added again. Rats.

(It’s interesting, though, that thumbnails will load of a couple of those images. ??)

Now, Grant, you mentioned case sensitivity. What do I have to watch for on that subject? I don’t think it’s part of my current "issue", but I might as well check that, too, while I’m at it – and add it to the list of "no-nos" when doing work I want viewable on either a Win machine or the web.
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 3, 2003
Noooo!! This one is a "private" showing for the relatives in Florida. I’ll do another one for "public presentation" that has some shots removed that would be embarrassing to my sister in law and me! 🙂 Like – I don’t think she’d want anybody besides the nearest and dearest to see that one my husband took of her from the rear as she bent over trying to take a picture of the peacock. Let me tell ya – you forget to look at the peacock!

I posted all the pictures we took when she and her friend were up here visiting in May. Lots of family stuff, although there are some scenic shots that aren’t too bad. I got a couple of nice images of Mt Rainier, and several that were taken at a replica of Stonehenge, down along the Columbia River. That might be interesting to some people, even though the photographic composition isn’t great. In our family, we take snapshots, not photographs!

I promise I will post some pictures, not because they’re the work of an expert, but because it’ll give people who’ve never been to the Northwest a tiny glimpse into what it’s like around here. From my point of view!
P
Phosphor
Aug 3, 2003
Goodness, Beth–is your husband in Myakka City? Horse farming? Charolais?
P
Phosphor
Aug 3, 2003
Hmmm, Myakka City…Tallahassee…. No wonder you think you don’t like FL!
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 3, 2003
My biggest "problem" with Florida is the humidity, and that’s an issue in a lot of places besides Florida. You’re not going to tell me it’s not humid in the part you live in, are you?! 🙂
R
Ray
Aug 4, 2003
And you don’t have to live in Florida to "enjoy" (endure ??) humidity. Just here (Montreal), we’ve been running the dehumidifier (the thing to remove the humidity..?) in the appartment for 3 days, and it pumped about 8 liters in 16 hours. I think 4 liters is a gallon, more or less. That’s a lot! And it’s still 68% in the house. I don’t care to look outside, it must be 90%
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 4, 2003
Ray, 68% would be wonderful here in Houston!
P
Phosphor
Aug 4, 2003
Ray, 68% would be wonderful here in Houston!

Yeah, that’s like midwinter here, too.
R
Ray
Aug 4, 2003
Keep in mind, this is "in the house", not outside. We can’t open the windows for now.
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 4, 2003
Living in the North East USA can give us a real variety of weather. Here on Cape Cod right now it is a bit over 80 degrees, very humid(yes, we use a dehumidifier in July and Aug), but the ocean gets really warm, great swimming. And our electric bill does reflect that de-humid usage, unfortunatly.
But in a moment we can have a cold front come over from Canada, and clear all the hot humid air out and it can be bright, shiny, chilly, and very welcome.
Winters can be cold too here, but we never get too cold nor too hot, but we do have a foot of snow once in a long while.
The Weather Channel has called us "The Bermuda of the North". New England is a real mixture of weather, but we love it. Jane
P
Phosphor
Aug 4, 2003
ocean gets really warm, great swimming.

Gee, Jane, why is it that something tells me your idea of "really warm" and mine are probably pretty different? That made me think of my encounter with the Long Island Diving Club when I lived in CT. All I could say was "WHY?" and they responded that in August you don’t even need a hood. 8^)
P
Phosphor
Aug 4, 2003
All the really pretty stuff is fairly near the surface, or that’s what we tell ourselves now.

That’s what I’ve always thought. All the diving around here is deepwater wreck diving, so I just don’t dive anymore, although the Spanish treasure would be tempting if you got to keep it, I must admit.

I’m just a wimp and prefer to laze around looking at little fish and coral. Once you get past the depth where the reds start to go, I start to lose interest.
CS
carl sutherland
Aug 4, 2003
Beth,

Just in case you may be interested in one way it can be done in .MAC, see <http://homepage.mac.com/csut2/PhotoAlbum2.html> which I did with .MAC in a flash. Please anyone critique this. I have no idea what a personal web site should be like. It does seem to show my pictures pretty well. On the other hand, this < http://homepage.mac.com/csut2/CarlandDogsGallery.html/carlan ddogindex.html> is what I did with PSE 2 and imported it into .MAC, and that took a lot of time and effort.

I’m the one with two legs and on the ground if there is any confusion. As you can see, Maisey, the blue merle Australian Shepard, is starting to get some "Air".

Carl
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 4, 2003
You’re right, Carl. The .Mac site is very nice, and if it’s easier to use, that’s a bonus! Now that you’ve got me thinking about it – I think I’ve got 60 days of free service I haven’t used!

I can see advantages to both methods. For example, once I finally got the PSE Web Photo Gallery arranged the way I wanted it (and all the bugs out!) I burned it to a CD. The CD can now be inserted in any computer and run on Internet Explorer or Netscape through the "local zone" – meaning the pictures could be removed from the internet, but I still have a copy of everything that can be viewed just like it looked on the web. Or, the entire thing could be uploaded again without having to go to much trouble.

On the other hand, using the .Mac site without having to create the Gallery can make it much faster and easier to upload pictures. Because you’re right – getting a Web Gallery put together and then going through the upload process takes much more time and energy.
GD
Grant Dixon
Aug 4, 2003
Beth

Just passing on some observations of my web gallery workings.

Rolling a gallery by hand whether it is with a WYSIWUG editor or with a text editor gives you both the widest latitude and greatest control. The down side is that it is usually the most time consuming and requires the highest degree of HTML knowledge.

Services that provide free gallery space give the narrowest latitude and the least control. The up side is that they are instantiations, extremely easy to maintain and require virtually no investment into computer knowledge.

A good compromise can be programs that generate web galleries. Some are limited in what they have to offer but others do have a great deal of flexibility. The problem is finding one you like. The good thing is most are very fast and once down loaded can be checked out in a very short time.

For my part I do roll my own when I want a site that is individual. When I have vast amounts of photos to maintain I use a code generator. I have had only one experience with a service provider and unfortunately it went broke and I lost my photos to the people that purchased the site.

g.
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 4, 2003
You know, Grant, I used to "roll my own" when I was about 19! We’re probably talking about different things, though, huh? 🙂

I’m not sure exactly what the set up is with the server space we have. My son leases? rents? space, and there are several different sites, but it’s not with our ISP. Maybe I should find out someday. If I’m not mistaken, if it goes down, everything we’ve put up there just floats inaccessibly in cyberspace.

I kind of like using Elements Web Photo Gallery for some of these projects, because then it’s so easy to save the whole thing to CD. I’ve been looking for something to replace PageMill, though, so I can get one application closer to moving totally to Jaguar. I hope I can find something that will let me take the "middle of the road", where I can still use Elements for the galleries and then tweak like I do now. I downloaded a trial version of Freeway Express yesterday. Barbara Brundage uses the full version and likes it. Barbara’s site – and yours – are both much more complex than anything I’d ever do. I hope when I try it I find it’s a good substitute for PageMill, because it sure is a lot cheaper than GoLive!

Well I started this post over an hour ago. I got interrupted when the guy came to do the pinstriping on the car. It’s amazing how much difference a couple of skinny little lines can make! (Yes, I know. I’m just a hot rod kid at heart.)
GD
Grant Dixon
Aug 4, 2003
Beth

"I used to "roll my own" … . I’m just a hot rod kid at heart." oh oh … wanta go on a date?

G.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections