Posted By
JuergenDirrigl
Aug 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ray,

Thanks, that’s pretty neat. Just yesterday I was placing some text on an image, looking for *different* font. That is pretty cumbersome if you are in PSE. So I reverted back to Arial Black, just because I knew for sure what that looked like.

Juergen

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ray
Aug 3, 2003
Juergen, we’ve travelled along the same path 😉 It’s been a certain time since I was tired of having to run Word 2000 to get a font list. This morning, I said to myself : "That’s enough!"

Glad you liked it!

Ray
PD
Pete D
Aug 3, 2003
Ray,

Yeah that is cool! But now that I am looking at all these fonts some of them make me wonder just why they are on here.

There are many but a "for instance" is Math A & B. What would anyone ever use that for?

Pete
R
Ray
Aug 3, 2003
Pete (and others), before you start deleting fonts that are, apparently, of no use, be warned : hundreds of softwares depend on very specific font(s) to operate. I can name one, lately, that’s been bugging me for a long time : Dreamsuite Gel. It refused to display text in dialog box. Digging the installation folder, I discovered a font. Double check with my current font list, and it was there.. but of a different size and date. Updated it with Dreamsuite Gel’s font and voilà! I could see the dialog boxes’ text.

Strange fonts are used (commonly) by some Microsoft product (Encarta, Bibliorom, PictureIt!, etc.). Several softwares will also use a special font containing icons (yeah, you read well), like a diskette, an opened folder, arrows, etc. They display these "letters" on top of generic buttons (buttons with no text, no picture), so that it’s easier to resize them when the users are running different scree size resolutions. Otherwise, the bitmaps used over buttons are pixelated once they are outside their native resolution (8×8, 16×16, 32×32, etc.). A true type character can be resized at will and will never look pixelated.

So, the best thing to do before removing a font is to copy it outside Windows’ font folder and wait a few weeks (months if you have a lot of softwares that you use on an irregular basis). If all goes well, you may delete them. Better, send them on a CD-RW. Wait a few more months before permanently deleting these fonts.

Ray

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections