Posted By
Mohamed_Al-Dabbagh
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All!

I always think of Adobe Photoshop being a great building that accommodated most of the knowledge of modern image processing concepts. This is the bright side of the notion. What if we looked at the murky side of the Photoshop’s evolving process? What if Photoshop core was built without taking into consideration the vast phenomenal resources growth? I mean what if early Photoshop authors couldn’t imagine in 80’s what the computer resources will be in the years to come? I think that the old style of programming should have some remains here and there despite the fact that Photoshop should have been re-written! Now, with all ideas added by Photoshop to the world of image processing, and all new computer resources, and the large number of qualified programmers around the world, the way is paved for new image-processing software to emerge and beat Photoshop. I wonder if friends here accept to convert to new software given that it is more powerful than Photoshop? Are we really prepared to change image processing Photoshop-oriented culture and accept to work in some competitive software other than Photoshop? Did the Adobe folks succeed in creating the Photoshop Inevitability Concept in designer’s minds? Is it really possible to create software that is more powerful than Photoshop? Is it true that accumulative experience of writing Photoshop is inevitable to write competitive software? Is it possible for Photoshop to become the only revenues generating software for a single company? In other words, would it be possible for Adobe to live only on Photoshop? Alternatively, would Photoshop continue without other Adobe’s products that support it?

Mohamed Al-Dabbagh
Senior Graphic Designer

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Feb 24, 2004
What is this new image editing software???
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 24, 2004
The only software that will beat Photoshop is some other product that Abobe shall build.

The rest is history….
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Ah, some more vague prophesy and speculation… Prophets and speculators are pretty low in the scale of people of whose thought I’m inclined to take much notice.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 24, 2004
Ya know Ramon, I really don’t feel like breaking my NDA, so do the math.

;o)
GB
g_ballard
Feb 24, 2004
NDA?
J
JasonSmith
Feb 24, 2004
I think he meant NRA.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Feb 24, 2004
National Defense Armament.
S
Shep
Feb 24, 2004
Non-disclosure agreement?
B
Buko
Feb 24, 2004
iTs GIMP <http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~gimp/gimp.html>

<http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/>

That’s it its all over for photoshop now. Like Quark crushing Pagemaker way back in the 20th century.

<snicker, snicker>
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 24, 2004
What is Quark?

<g>
B
Buko
Feb 24, 2004
What is Quark?

Quarks are fundamental matter particles that are constituents of neutrons and protons and other hadrons. There are six different types of quarks. Each quark type is called a flavor
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 24, 2004
strange, charm, up, down…

Er, I can’t remember the rest.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Feb 24, 2004
Top and Bottom.

The "Top" quark was the last one finally confirmed by experimental evidence.

VL
P
Phosphor
Feb 24, 2004
Didn’t I just read about a new flavor being discovered?

I think it was called the dead quark.

(all kidding aside, I think there have been some recent discoveries regarding new quark flavor(s)…SawItOnSlashdot…)
L
Larryr544
Feb 24, 2004
How about what Indesign is doing to both Quark and Pagemaker. Adobe did go to a new software core with InDesign. Perhaps they are doing the same with PS right now.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections