Posted By
Frederix
Aug 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Who knows Photoshop CS2 saves ownmade actions. If I re-install Photoshop I’ll lose my own made actions and have to record them again.

met vriendelijke groet

Frederix
www.fotosvanfred.nl

PS Pleur [PLEURWEG] weg voor reageren!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
Joel
Aug 29, 2007
Frederix <frederix[PLEURWEG]@xs4all.nl> wrote:

Hi,

Who knows Photoshop CS2 saves ownmade actions. If I re-install Photoshop I’ll lose my own made actions and have to record them again.

I have never created any action myself, but I think everyone (well, almost <bg>) knows Photoshop can save one’s own action.

I know it because I am using some actions saved and given to public by many Photoshop users.
N
nomail
Aug 29, 2007

Hi,

met vriendelijke groet

Frederix
www.fotosvanfred.nl

Select the action SET, not one action, and choose ‘Save Actions’ from the fly-out menu of the actions palette. This is how you save them. From the same fly-out menu you can choose ‘Load Actions’ to get them back after a reinstall or an upgrade.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
F
Frederix
Aug 29, 2007
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:34:09 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hi,

met vriendelijke groet

Frederix
www.fotosvanfred.nl

Select the action SET, not one action, and choose ‘Save Actions’ from the fly-out menu of the actions palette. This is how you save them. From the same fly-out menu you can choose ‘Load Actions’ to get them back after a reinstall or an upgrade.

Hi Johan, thanx a lot.

met vriendelijke groet

Frederix
www.fotosvanfred.nl

R
Rob
Aug 30, 2007
Frederix wrote:
Hi,

met vriendelijke groet

Frederix
www.fotosvanfred.nl

Search for your plugins that you have made by the name. then you should know exactly which folder they are saved in.

Generally in this one.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins
N
nomail
Sep 1, 2007
Rob wrote:

Frederix wrote:
Hi,

met vriendelijke groet

Frederix
www.fotosvanfred.nl

Search for your plugins that you have made by the name. then you should know exactly which folder they are saved in.

Generally in this one.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins

He’s talking about Actions, not plugins. Actions are saved in some general preference file, so you won’t find them by searching by their names. You have to save them manually in the way I described.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
K
keepout
Sep 1, 2007
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 00:10:10 +0200, (Johan W. Elzenga)
wrote:

He’s talking about Actions, not plugins. Actions are saved in some general preference file, so you won’t find them by searching by their names. You have to save them manually in the way I described.

Actually there’s 2 ways to save actions.
Myself, I just create a new action folder called mine, under the default actions.

Then you can just right click somewhere on the actions box, and get the SAVE dialog. Or just quit PS, and the action saves automatically under your new action folder name.

more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
N
nomail
Sep 2, 2007
wrote:

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 00:10:10 +0200, (Johan W. Elzenga)
wrote:

Myself, I just create a new action folder called mine, under the default actions.

Then you can just right click somewhere on the actions box, and get the SAVE dialog.

That’s what I already described.

Or just quit PS, and the action saves automatically under your new action folder name.

Nope. Photoshop won’t do that. Your action will be in the action palette, but it won’t be saved in such a way you can easily retrieve it for importing on another computer. Instead, Photoshop saves the action in some obscure preference file you won’t easily locate.

K
keepout
Sep 2, 2007
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 20:10:38 +0200, (Johan W. Elzenga)
wrote:

Then you can just right click somewhere on the actions box, and get the SAVE dialog.

I missed it.
Or just quit PS, and the action saves automatically under your new action folder name.

Nope. Photoshop won’t do that. Your action will be in the action palette, but it won’t be saved in such a way you can easily retrieve it for importing on another computer. Instead, Photoshop saves the action in some obscure preference file you won’t easily locate.

Obscure or not, it’s still there next time you boot up.

more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
N
nomail
Sep 3, 2007
wrote:

Of course it is, but that wasn’t the question. The question was how to store the actions in such a way that they survive a re-install of Photoshop. They don’t if you do not save them manually.

J
Joel
Sep 3, 2007
(Johan W. Elzenga) wrote:

wrote:

Of course it is, but that wasn’t the question. The question was how to store the actions in such a way that they survive a re-install of Photoshop. They don’t if you do not save them manually.

I don’t do action to have much to say, but by reading this thread I don’t see any good reason why you have to against some valid information (or method) uses by other. Or as long as it works then we just accept and learn to benefit from it.

Me, I don’t store my Plug-Ins and Actions in the default folders, but I create the folders OUTSIDE of Photoshop. This way I can enjoy a wider, brighter world of Photoshoping. Cuz

– If I have to reinstall, remove Photoshop or whatever reason it won’t effect my Plug-Ins and Actions. Or I won’t have to reinstall them

– If I have more than one version of Photoshop installed at same time, I can have them both shared the same Plug-Ins & Actions folders.

That’s just an example, and I think we may want to learn more (from other users) than what we already know.
N
nomail
Sep 3, 2007
Joel wrote:

I don’t do action to have much to say, but by reading this thread I don’t see any good reason why you have to against some valid information (or method) uses by other. Or as long as it works then we just accept and learn to benefit from it.

Because it does NOT work. The original question was: how do you save your actions so that they are still there when you have to re-install Photoshop. Andf that is exactly the problem: if you only let the action stay in the palette, it will be gone when you re-install Photoshop. That’s why I’m trying to explain to this person that you have to save the action set manually to accomplish what the OP wants.

Me, I don’t store my Plug-Ins and Actions in the default folders, but I create the folders OUTSIDE of Photoshop. This way I can enjoy a wider, brighter world of Photoshoping. Cuz

Which means that you do exactly what I advise: you save your action sets manually. That is what I do too.

J
Joel
Sep 4, 2007

Joel wrote:

Because it does NOT work. The original question was: how do you save your actions so that they are still there when you have to re-install Photoshop. Andf that is exactly the problem: if you only let the action stay in the palette, it will be gone when you re-install Photoshop. That’s why I’m trying to explain to this person that you have to save the action set manually to accomplish what the OP wants.

And I didn’t see the other member mentioned anything about reinstalling Photoshop. I read Photoshop will SAVE the action when you EXIT photoshop (I guess as default name), and you can rename and save to any folder you wish. That’s what I understand.

Which means that you do exactly what I advise: you save your action sets manually. That is what I do too.

I didn’t do what you advise, because like I said I don’t create Action, and what I did have nothing to do with manually. I said I *INSTALL* on some specific folder *outside* of Photoshop (not sub-folder under Photoshop.
N
nomail
Sep 4, 2007
Joel wrote:

And I didn’t see the other member mentioned anything about reinstalling Photoshop.

Read the original question.

J
Joel
Sep 6, 2007

Joel wrote:

And I didn’t see the other member mentioned anything about reinstalling Photoshop.

Read the original question.

I don’t know if there is another original message that you have but I don’t, but this is what I see at my end.

====================================

Then you can just right click somewhere on the actions box, and get the SAVE dialog. Or just quit PS, and the action saves automatically under your new action folder name.
============================================================

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 20:10:38 +0200, (Johan W. Elzenga)
wrote:

I missed it.

=========================================

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections