M
Posted By
Matalog
Aug 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been asked by a friend who is quite new to photoshop, but has been a photographer for many years, the following question (because someone told him that this is true, but I am very doubtful about that).

Can you, with Photoshop CS3 – once an image is down-sized for a customer’s copy on CD, and a copyright label is put on the bottom corner of the image by way of a new layer then flattened and saved as a .jpg – somehow re-activate that layer end easily remove the copyright label? I know it could be cloned out , but is it possible to reactivate the layer?

Has anyone ever heard anything even remotely like this?

Thanks for any answers.

Matt.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
John
Aug 29, 2007
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:28:15 GMT, "Matalog"
wrote:

I have been asked by a friend who is quite new to photoshop, but has been a photographer for many years, the following question (because someone told him that this is true, but I am very doubtful about that).
Can you, with Photoshop CS3 – once an image is down-sized for a customer’s copy on CD, and a copyright label is put on the bottom corner of the image by way of a new layer then flattened and saved as a .jpg – somehow re-activate that layer end easily remove the copyright label? I know it could be cloned out , but is it possible to reactivate the layer?

Thanks for any answers.

Matt.
No, once the layers are flattened, you can’t remove that layer. You could clone out the copyright logo using the clone tool, but that can be tricky.
V
Voivod
Aug 29, 2007
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:28:15 GMT, "Matalog"
scribbled:

Thanks for any answers.

JPEGs do not support layers. Therefore you cannot ‘reactivate’ something that cannot exist.
H
Hardyford
Aug 29, 2007
John wrote:

No, once the layers are flattened, you can’t remove that layer. You could clone out the copyright logo using the clone tool, but that can be tricky.

….And illegal!
S
SpaceGirl
Aug 29, 2007
Hardyford wrote:
John wrote:

…And illegal!

No, not illegal. Only illegal if you then distribute/use that image when you don’t own the copyright or have not been given rights.

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.northleithmill.com

-.-

Kammy has a new home: http://www.bitesizedjapan.com
T
Tacit
Aug 29, 2007
In article <z8hBi.27075$>,
"Matalog" wrote:

Can you, with Photoshop CS3 – once an image is down-sized for a customer’s copy on CD, and a copyright label is put on the bottom corner of the image by way of a new layer then flattened and saved as a .jpg – somehow re-activate that layer end easily remove the copyright label?

No. When you save a flattened file, the layer information is *gone*. It can not be "re-activated."

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
S
samandjanet
Aug 30, 2007
Matalog wrote:

It can’t be done.
Once the image is saved as a single layer format like a Jpeg, the layer data is discarded and ceases to exixt.
Clone tool is the solution in this case.
J
Joel
Aug 30, 2007
Hardyford wrote:

John wrote:

…And illegal!

How can Clone be illegal? Do you think it’s illegal to say wrong thing?

IOW, legal or illegal may be what you may done after you legally cloned the CopyRight <bg>
S
samandjanet
Aug 30, 2007
Hardyford wrote:
John wrote:

…And illegal!

Not illegal.
Imoral certainly, but not illegal.
K
krash
Aug 31, 2007
not necessarily, what if you decided to change your copyright logo/information and all you had were the jpegs of your pictures with that logo and did not have the originals as backups…?? kk

"Hardyford" wrote in message
John wrote:

…And illegal!
J
jaSPAMc
Aug 31, 2007
Then you’re not much oif a graphics ‘artist’ or photographer.

It’d be much akin to haveing a drug store print your 120 negs, then burn them, leaving only 6"x6" ‘prints’ of low quality.

"www.kevinkienlein.com" found these unused words:

not necessarily, what if you decided to change your copyright logo/information and all you had were the jpegs of your pictures with that logo and did not have the originals as backups…?? kk

John wrote:

…And illegal!
H
Hardyford
Aug 31, 2007
"www.kevinkienlein.com" wrote:

John wrote:

…And illegal!

People, read my comments IN CONTEXT.
I added to the statement "can be tricky" with "and illegal". The inference is it CAN be tricky and CAN be illegal. I never said it would ALWAYS be illegal. There is a reason, however, why the originator put a that copyright logo on that image, and it is conceivable that he or she might not want it removed.
J
jaSPAMc
Aug 31, 2007
Hardyford found these unused words:

John wrote:

…And illegal!

I added to the statement "can be tricky" with "and illegal". The inference is it CAN be tricky and CAN be illegal. I never said it would ALWAYS be illegal. There is a reason, however, why the originator put a that copyright logo on that image, and it is conceivable that he or she might not want it removed.

Poster ! when you separate with lines, the next statement is a ‘context’ of its own. Thus, without any such qualification as you -=may=- have intended, it reads as a single statement!

BTW … don’t ever expect many of our infamous NG readers to ever apply ‘context’ when they can ‘pick out’ something to disput! <G>
TC
tony cooper
Aug 31, 2007
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:14:27 -0500, Hardyford
wrote:

John wrote:

…And illegal!

I have no idea why the person asked, but I know that I have spent hours making a .psd and then – intending to email or ftp up a copy – flattened it and then clicked "Save" when I meant to click "Save As" a ..jpg with a new name. I haven’t done that often, but I have done it.

It sounds stupid, but the brain starts to frazzle in the wee hours after spending a lot of time on a project.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
TC
tony cooper
Aug 31, 2007
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:02:46 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

BTW … don’t ever expect many of our infamous NG readers to ever apply ‘context’ when they can ‘pick out’ something to disput! <G>

dis put it where?

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
S
samandjanet
Sep 1, 2007
tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

John wrote:

…And illegal!

I added to the statement "can be tricky" with "and illegal". The inference is it CAN be tricky and CAN be illegal. I never said it would ALWAYS be illegal. There is a reason, however, why the originator put a that copyright logo on that image, and it is conceivable that
he or she might not want it removed.

I have no idea why the person asked, but I know that I have spent hours making a .psd and then – intending to email or ftp up a copy – flattened it and then clicked "Save" when I meant to click "Save As" a .jpg with a new name. I haven’t done that often, but I have done it.
It sounds stupid, but the brain starts to frazzle in the wee hours after spending a lot of time on a project.

LOL. A costly lesson in the value of making a backup before you work on anything.
I’ve done this in the past too, and now I always backup before working.
S
SpaceGirl
Sep 2, 2007
Fat Sam wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

John wrote:

…And illegal!

I added to the statement "can be tricky" with "and illegal". The inference is it CAN be tricky and CAN be illegal. I never said it would ALWAYS be illegal. There is a reason, however, why the originator put a that copyright logo on that image, and it is conceivable that
I have no idea why the person asked, but I know that I have spent hours making a .psd and then – intending to email or ftp up a copy – flattened it and then clicked "Save" when I meant to click "Save As" a .jpg with a new name. I haven’t done that often, but I have done it.

LOL. A costly lesson in the value of making a backup before you work on anything.

I’m amazed… I’ve never done it! I mean… how can you? The JPEG save dialog is totally different than the PSD save dialog. That’s pretty unlucky guys. We do run backups every day though. I’m bound to do it if our backups fail one day 🙂

Trick maybe to not do save from the menu? Use the key combination instead:

Apple + S = Save.
Apple + S + Shift + Alt = Save For Web (jpeg etc)

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

-.-

S
samandjanet
Sep 2, 2007
SpaceGirl wrote:
Fat Sam wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

John wrote:

…And illegal!

I have no idea why the person asked, but I know that I have spent hours making a .psd and then – intending to email or ftp up a copy – flattened it and then clicked "Save" when I meant to click "Save As" a .jpg with a new name. I haven’t done that often, but I have done it. It sounds stupid, but the brain starts to frazzle in the wee hours
after spending a lot of time on a project.

I’m amazed… I’ve never done it! I mean… how can you? The JPEG save dialog is totally different than the PSD save dialog. That’s pretty unlucky guys.

With me, it was a combination of working late at night after a long long day, to a very tight deadline, with far too much coffee slooshing through my system.
It was an accident waiting to happen.
S
SpaceGirl
Sep 3, 2007
Fat Sam wrote:

With me, it was a combination of working late at night after a long long day, to a very tight deadline, with far too much coffee slooshing through my system.

Ouch 🙁

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

-.-

T
Tacit
Sep 4, 2007
In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

You do not need to flatten it first. Instead, just choose Save As and hit JPEG; it will be flattened as it is saved. (If you are using an older version of Photoshop, use the Save a Copy command.) Flattening an image before you save is a dangerous practice.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
G
garypoyssick
Sep 4, 2007
Adobe’s going to try to eliminate those in CS4. 🙂

Hey SpaceFem 🙂

Gary in tampa

On 9/3/07 3:57 AM, in article , "SpaceGirl"
wrote:

Fat Sam wrote:

Ouch 🙁
TC
tony cooper
Sep 4, 2007
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 00:17:35 -0400, tacit wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

You do not need to flatten it first. Instead, just choose Save As and hit JPEG; it will be flattened as it is saved. (If you are using an older version of Photoshop, use the Save a Copy command.) Flattening an image before you save is a dangerous practice.

Interesting. I knew that I could skip the flatten step, but I didn’t think it made a difference. Why is it dangerous?

I use 7.0, by the way.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
G
garypoyssick
Sep 4, 2007
It loses transparency attributes. I’m a destroyer by nature, so I try to be careful to avoid my nature-born instincts. I save copies of everything PSD, just in case I forgot something or want a version I don’t have. So when I write actions, I tend to put a save ‘halt’ in it so I can pick the new name. But again, I can only guess at what I’m talking about :-))))

gary

On 9/4/07 9:21 AM, in article ,
"tony cooper" wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

Interesting. I knew that I could skip the flatten step, but I didn’t think it made a difference. Why is it dangerous?

I use 7.0, by the way.
T
Tacit
Sep 4, 2007
In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

It’s dangerous to flatten the image first because if you make a mistake, you may not be able to get your layers back.

When you do not flatten the image, you won’t run the risk of accidentally hitting "save" rather than "save as." If you have a layered image and you use the "save a copy" command (old Photoshop) or the "save as" command (new Photoshop) and choose a format that does not permit layers, then Photoshop still "remembers" that the PSD file is what it should save if you hit the Save command.

In other words: Flatten first and accidentally hitting Save may doom you. Don’t flatten first, and you won’t lose your layers if you accidentally hit Save.

TC
tony cooper
Sep 4, 2007
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:21:50 -0400, tacit wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

It’s dangerous to flatten the image first because if you make a mistake, you may not be able to get your layers back.

When you do not flatten the image, you won’t run the risk of accidentally hitting "save" rather than "save as." If you have a layered image and you use the "save a copy" command (old Photoshop) or the "save as" command (new Photoshop) and choose a format that does not permit layers, then Photoshop still "remembers" that the PSD file is what it should save if you hit the Save command.

In other words: Flatten first and accidentally hitting Save may doom you. Don’t flatten first, and you won’t lose your layers if you accidentally hit Save.

Oh, OK. I thought that you meant that the flatten function was somehow more destructive than the "save as .jpg" function as far as the resulting image.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
J
jaSPAMc
Sep 4, 2007
If you haven’t forshotened your History, even after a ‘Flatten’ and Save, you can step back and go to the point -=before=- flattening.

Gary found these unused words:

It loses transparency attributes. I’m a destroyer by nature, so I try to be careful to avoid my nature-born instincts. I save copies of everything PSD, just in case I forgot something or want a version I don’t have. So when I write actions, I tend to put a save ‘halt’ in it so I can pick the new name. But again, I can only guess at what I’m talking about :-))))
gary

"tony cooper" wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

I use 7.0, by the way.
G
garypoyssick
Sep 5, 2007
As is always the case, I never think that the way I do something is the ‘right’ way to do something. All of you are right — flattening is good, flattening is bad, you can adjust the depth of the history list, etc.etc.etc.etc.

But it’s all good, and it’s great to hear your ideas. The first ten years I used PS doing real work (like getting paid to do work, not writing about getting paid) I learned lots by experimenting. Now having usenet groups like this is wonderful, because more than one of us is thinking about stuff like this when it comes up.

Thanks all.

On 9/4/07 7:54 PM, in article ,
"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote:

If you haven’t forshotened your History, even after a ‘Flatten’ and Save, you can step back and go to the point -=before=- flattening.

Gary found these unused words:

gary

"tony cooper" wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

I use 7.0, by the way.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections