E
Posted By
exingo
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working on whitening someone’s teeth while in rgb mode. I select the teeth and go to image>adjustments>hue saturation. why is there an option for yellows in the drop down window when I am working in RGB and not CMYK?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JS
John_Slate
Feb 23, 2004
because there is yellow in RGB, it’s made of R+G
P
Phosphor
Feb 23, 2004
Try desaturating using "Image—»Adjust—»Selective Color…" instead.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Feb 23, 2004
Many times the simplest way to whiten teeth is with a Hue/Sat layer mask. Just make a feathered selection around the teeth (make sure you go into the lip area slightly with the soft mask). Then create the Hue/SAt adjustment layer. Target the yellows and move the lightness slider to the right till you achive the effect you’re looking for.

Desaturating is okay in some cases, but you want to avoid creating teeth with a gray color cast.

🙂
E
exingo
Feb 23, 2004
just to clarify, what happens to the lip area that is partially selected? Since "yellows" are chosen from the drop down, does this mean that it will not alter the lip area unless they contain "yellow"?
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 23, 2004
Which they will (contain yellow, that is). But Paul isn’t really suggesting you "partially select" the lips. He means be sure to select ALL of the teeth, which often means going just ever so slightly beyond them into the lips (or often the gums when they’re showing). You do this by zooming in quite close. If you do it right, when you zoom back out to 100%, even you won’t notice your selection is "into" the lips or gums.

Paul, I hope I haven’t misrepresented you.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 23, 2004
Back to what Phos said – Selective color – select the whites – kill the yellows.
R
Ram
Feb 23, 2004
Well,

It depends on the nature of the discoloration of the teeth, really. Some teeth are stained without any yellow in them. Not a good time to get into this, though, I just had a big lunch.
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 23, 2004
Ramón! Glide! Works wonders!
B
Buko
Feb 23, 2004
Why not use the dodge tool set to highlights??
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 23, 2004
Sometimes (I repeat, sometimes), the dodge tool produces a gray "filmy" look. Other times, an artificially white look. And other times (many times) it works great on teeth.
RM
Rick_McCleary
Feb 24, 2004
Make a selection.
Apply curves. (via adjustment layer)

Curves are ideal for this purpose. You can adjust the brightness (composite curve) and the color (individual curves). And it is a non-destructive adjustment.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Doug,

Glide?? You mean on the print itself?

8o
P
Phosphor
Feb 24, 2004
Curves are good.

But I maintain that, for teeth and sclera, Selective Color is easiest and fastest.

Do it within an adjustment layer if you’re afraid of commitment. 😉
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 24, 2004
No, Ramón, Glide for after that big lunch! (It’s floss 🙂 )

<<It depends on the nature of the discoloration of the teeth, really. Some teeth are stained without any yellow in them. Not a good time to get into this, though, I just had a big lunch.>>
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Feb 24, 2004
Paul, I hope I haven’t misrepresented you.

Doug,

Not at all… that’s exactly what I was driving at. And that method works for me nearly 100% of the time, and very quickly.

Like most things in Photoshop, there’s a dozen different ways to arrive at the same outcome. 🙂

And as Rick echoed with his Curves method, using an adjustment layer offers the best control.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Doug,

Ooops! Glide sounded like furniture polish to me. :">
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
I had flossed and brushed my teeth after lunch.
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 24, 2004
I had NO doubt! 🙂
E
exingo
Feb 24, 2004
thanks everyone!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections