PG
Posted By
Peter Gaunt
Jul 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Am I correct in thinking that layer masks are terribly badly implemented in Elements 2? I’m not talking about the selection masks which you can turn on with the selection brush.

Elements seems to recognise, and honour, layer masks created in other applications but other than horrendous bodges there doesn’t seem any simple way of creating one directly in Elements from, say, a selected area. There’s not any real mention of them in the manual. Well it mentions how to use them if they exist but not how to create them.

Am I wasting my time looking for a simple, straightforward way of creating one? At present if I absolutely must have a layer mask I squirt the file across to Photodesk on my Risc OS machine, apply the mask and then squirt it back to the Mac.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PG
Peter Gaunt
Jul 31, 2003
In article , Chris Rankin
wrote:

<http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/elements/elemask.htm>

OK, thanks. It works fine but it’s still not a proper layer mask is it? I must investigate it further though as it may effectively do the same thing but in a different way. On first playing around with it it appears to me that it isn’t quite as flexible but I guess it may turn out to be in the end.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 31, 2003
Peter, there are free add-ons out there that will provide you with ‘real’ layer mask capability in Elements. Here’s one of the sites where you’ll fined them:

http://member.melbpc.org.au/~pshipley/Download.htm

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 31, 2003
Jodi, it takes me so long to get through all the messages when I get home from work (88 today) that I should have known the answer would already be there before I could find the hyperlink, write the note, etc.

🙂

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 31, 2003
Mr. Shipley must love us 😉
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 31, 2003
Peter, for the unitiated: what in the world is a ‘bodge’??

🙂

Chuck

p.s. The methods that are included in Jay Arraich’s tutorials (use of the layer mask in a fill or adjustment layer) take a little getting used to but work just fine.
PG
Peter Gaunt
Jul 31, 2003
In article ,
Chuck Snyder wrote:

Peter, for the unitiated: what in the world is a ‘bodge’??

See below 🙂

p.s. The methods that are included in Jay Arraich’s tutorials (use of the layer mask in a fill or adjustment layer) take a little getting used to but work just fine.

That’s a bodge. It’s basically, I guess, another way of saying ‘work around’ but has different connotations often slightly derogatory. My dictionary (I just looked) says it’s a variation of ‘botch’. It’s a word in fairly common use in the UK.

I think I’ll play around some more with Jay’s idea which, although it works, is still a bodge to get around Adobe’s strange ommission.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections