E
Posted By
eugene
Aug 20, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wonder does anyone here ever use Google’s Picasa program for editing. I took hundreds of photos in Lanzarote last week and edited them in Picasa with great results. However, a few of the pics were slightly out of focus but the "sharpening" edit in Picasa is quite unbelievable. The problem is, they only remain sharpened when using Picasa (apparently this is a glitch in the program) and the sharpenening can’t be saved. So what I want to know is, does anybody know of a similar program or a plug-in for PS? I just cannot get the same kind of sharpness using PS filter but maybe I am not using it properly. I took over a thousand shots when on holiday and there are only about six that I really need sharpened. Three of these were of my hometown as we flew over it and considering that they were shot through perspex and reinforced glass, maybe I shouldn’t be complaining. But the edited results on Picasa were amazing! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mike Russell
Aug 20, 2007
"eugene" wrote in message
I wonder does anyone here ever use Google’s Picasa program for editing. I took hundreds of photos in Lanzarote last week and edited them in Picasa with great results. However, a few of the pics were slightly out of focus but the "sharpening" edit in Picasa is quite unbelievable. The problem is, they only remain sharpened when using Picasa (apparently this is a glitch in the program) and the sharpenening can’t be saved. So what I want to know is, does anybody know of a similar program or a plug-in for PS? I just cannot get the same kind of sharpness using PS filter but maybe I am not using it properly. I took over a thousand shots when on holiday and there are only about six that I really need sharpened. Three of these were of my hometown as we flew over it and considering that they were shot through perspex and reinforced glass, maybe I shouldn’t be complaining. But the edited results on Picasa were amazing! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Picasa works this way intentionally – all edits are reversible. The changes will be permanent if you export the files from Picasa.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
E
eugene
Aug 20, 2007
"Mike Russell" wrote in message

Picasa works this way intentionally – all edits are reversible. The changes will be permanent if you export the files from Picasa. —

Sorry but that isn’t correct. Changes are all saved……….except sharpening. I have tried various ways to get around this but to no avail. I then got a mail from the Picasa help forum telling me that there was a bug in that particular edit and that it cannot be saved. So back to my original query, do you or does anybody know of a similar program that sharpens easily and very visibly?
G
garypoyssick
Aug 20, 2007
Photoshop

On 8/20/07 6:28 AM, in article ,
"eugene" wrote:

Picasa works this way intentionally – all edits are reversible. The changes will be permanent if you export the files from Picasa. —

Sorry but that isn’t correct. Changes are all saved……….except sharpening. I have tried various ways to get around this but to no avail. I then got a mail from the Picasa help forum telling me that there was a bug in that particular edit and that it cannot be saved. So back to my original query, do you or does anybody know of a similar program that sharpens easily and very visibly?

E
eugene
Aug 20, 2007
"Gary" wrote in message
Photoshop

On 8/20/07 6:28 AM, in article ,
"eugene" wrote:

I wonder does anyone here ever use Google’s Picasa program for editing. I
took hundreds of photos in Lanzarote last week and edited them in Picasa
with great results. However, a few of the pics were slightly out of focus
but the "sharpening" edit in Picasa is quite unbelievable. The problem is,
they only remain sharpened when using Picasa (apparently this is a glitch
in the program) and the sharpenening can’t be saved. So what I want to know is, does anybody know of a similar program or a plug-in for PS? I just cannot get the same kind of sharpness using PS filter but maybe I am
not using it properly. I took over a thousand shots when on holiday and there are only about six that I really need sharpened. Three of these were
of my hometown as we flew over it and considering that they were shot through perspex and reinforced glass, maybe I shouldn’t be complaining. But the edited results on Picasa were amazing! Thanks in advance for any
suggestions or advice.

Sorry but that isn’t correct. Changes are all saved……….except sharpening. I have tried various ways to get around this but to no avail. I
then got a mail from the Picasa help forum telling me that there was a bug
in that particular edit and that it cannot be saved. So back to my original
query, do you or does anybody know of a similar program that sharpens easily
and very visibly?
You need to speak up Gary!
G
Gummo
Aug 20, 2007
on Picasa were amazing! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Until you get a more knowledgeable reply, Eugene, is a screen capture a temporary answer?

Gummo
E
eugene
Aug 20, 2007
"Gummo" wrote in message
on Picasa were amazing! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Until you get a more knowledgeable reply, Eugene, is a screen capture a temporary answer?

Gummo

Hiya Gummo……………..fancy meeting you here bro! I think I have the problem sorted now..by trial and error. How’s da form?
G
Gummo
Aug 20, 2007

Hiya Gummo……………..fancy meeting you here bro! I think I have the problem sorted now..by trial and error. How’s da form?

It’s not a big leap from SCI to Photoshop, Eugene. The form’s grand – I’m off this week!

Show us your best pics when you get sorted.

Gummo
E
eugene
Aug 20, 2007
"Gummo" wrote in message

It’s not a big leap from SCI to Photoshop, Eugene. The form’s grand – I’m off this week!

Gummo

Limavady as we were approaching City of Derry

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1305/1163765595_79f58f9acc_o. jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1203/1163766805_192541d3e9_o. jpg

E
eugene
Aug 20, 2007
"Gummo" wrote in message

Gummo
Taken from our appartment

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1388/1164244140_6087b06eaa_o. jpg

and then when taking off for home

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1055/1163725155_21f4719b90_o. jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1190/1164580322_4d2b5d2c37_o. jpg
E
eugene
Aug 20, 2007
Lanzarote was beautiful but very different as it is so
barren…………lunar like landscape. I couldn’t figure out what was missing until one day I saw a little bit of grass outside a restaurant. That was the only grass I saw there (apart from a new golfcourse that is being developed). This was our first view of Ireland as we flew into Cork on the way to Derry………………it was a delight to see such greenery and especially as the sun was shining (unusual enough these days)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1192/1163728975_bd13b0bb70_o. jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1011/1163731935_b2b33879d7_o. jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1394/1164588554_ba03165859_o. jpg "Gummo" wrote in message

Gummo
E
eugene
Aug 20, 2007
"Gummo" wrote in message

Gummo
No cattle or sheep in Lanzarote either………guess with there being no grass to feed them

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1038/1164591344_7684a7da23_o. jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1229/1164592608_c054cf9596_o. jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1167/1164593128_3fbab6e93e_o. jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1417/1163738345_24e3ceec63_o. jpg
G
Gummo
Aug 20, 2007

No cattle or sheep in Lanzarote either………guess with there being no grass to feed them

What’s the attraction then?

Gummo
T
Talker
Aug 21, 2007
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:51:47 +0100, "eugene"
wrote:

Do you have Photoshop? If so, then to sharpen a picture, go to Filter….Sharpen…..and select the Unsharp Mask. In the boxes there select a radius of 1, a Threshold of 8, and then move the Percent slider up and down until you get the level of sharpening you need.(it’s usually less than 100%).

Talker
G
garypoyssick
Aug 21, 2007
I tried that, Talker. The guy doesn’t have Photoshop; mentioned the price tag and sort of indicated that we all ran pirated software.

I’m a writer. I remember a professor saying to me one time "We love your book, but there’s no need to buy it. The salesperson (prentice hall at the time) gave me one, and we just cut the binder and run them on our copier machine. The students love them too."

This was after about 1500 copies were distributed for free to students and at a cost (lost revenues) of about 10k to us. No biggie, right? PH doesn’t prosecute thieves — they just buy them lunch and see if they can give them more samples.

That’s an author talking, so don’t take my comment too seriously — we love to hear ourselves talk.

Gary in tampa

On 8/20/07 10:14 PM, in article ,
"Talker" wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:51:47 +0100, "eugene"
wrote:

Do you have Photoshop? If so, then to sharpen a picture, go to Filter….Sharpen…..and select the Unsharp Mask. In the boxes there select a radius of 1, a Threshold of 8, and then move the Percent slider up and down until you get the level of sharpening you need.(it’s usually less than 100%).

Talker
J
Joannotaccepting
Aug 23, 2007
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:44:05 GMT, "Gummo"
wrote:

What’s the attraction then?

Gummo

Lanzarote has a unique landscape in the world. All the island is made from volcanic lava. No sheep, no grass, none…. only great heat in ground, able to cook anything in seconds if you put down in a not so great hole carved with your hands (fast way, or you own hand will be cooked!).

It’s like a trip to the Moon, cheap way! 🙂

Regards

Salu2
Joan

http://www.joanfuste.com
JF
John Forest
Aug 24, 2007
You said you had the problem worked out, but you didn’t tell us how. How about giving the rest of us the information?
J
Joel
Aug 24, 2007
Who has no problem worked out? how about quoting some original so we know what you reponse to.

P.S. this is just an example of your posting style.
D
Dave
Aug 24, 2007
in agreement completely
E
eugene
Aug 24, 2007
"John Forest" wrote in message
You said you had the problem worked out, but you didn’t tell us how. How about giving the rest of us the information?

I was just saying that to prevent wasting anybody’s time in replying to me. The sharpening effect is exclusive to Picasa and can’t be transferred. Picasa remembers the changes made to images and will always put them in place for viewing. It’s a pity though because it was quite incredible how it sharpened out of focus pictures.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections