Is there a way to BULK CROP photos NOT BULK RESIZE but BULK CROP?

G
Posted By
Giovanni
Aug 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

I am in desperate need of BULK CROPPING some photos with detailed directions please.

I have over 20,000 scans that were done.
There is a large amount of "DEAD BLACK" space on the photos. I am wishing to CROP the photos without doing them one by one.

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to BULK CROPPING photos. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.

I am NOT interested in BULK RESIZING my photos.
I am interested in BULK CROPPING photos that were scanned. I am trying to get the BLACK dead space off of thousands of scans.

I have about 10,000 scans that need to be cropped all the same DIMENSIONS. Does anyone out there know of a software program that can crop many at a time instead of manually?
Thanks

I have been told that
"I’d use Photoshop. In this program you can make a so called ‘Action’: a series of handlings, applied on one image, that you can save a Action. Later you can use those Actions in a batch process. Perhaps you can get an old version. To my knowledge the batch-option is abled from version 5."

Is this true?
If so please advise and thanks.

I simply do not have the time to crop one by one 20,000+ scans.

If someone knows how to do this, can they please email me, thanks again!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
nomail
Aug 18, 2007
Giovanni wrote:

I am in desperate need of BULK CROPPING some photos with detailed directions please.

There is a large amount of "DEAD BLACK" space on the photos. I am wishing to CROP the photos without doing them one by one.
I am having a difficult time figuring out how to BULK CROPPING photos. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.

I am interested in BULK CROPPING photos that were scanned. I am trying to get the BLACK dead space off of thousands of scans.
I have about 10,000 scans that need to be cropped all the same DIMENSIONS. Does anyone out there know of a software program that can crop many at a time instead of manually?
Thanks

I have been told that
"I’d use Photoshop. In this program you can make a so called ‘Action’: a series of handlings, applied on one image, that you can save a Action. Later you can use those Actions in a batch process. Perhaps you can get an old version. To my knowledge the batch-option is abled from version 5."
Is this true?

Yes, you can do that in Photoshop. You need to use ‘Canvas Size’ to crop an image. Determine what the canvas size of a cropped photo should be, record it in an action and then use that action on the folder of scans by means of ‘Automate – Batch’. That’s all.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
N
nomail
Aug 18, 2007
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:

Giovanni wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

I have been told that
Is this true?

Yes, you can do that in Photoshop. You need to use ‘Canvas Size’ to crop an image. Determine what the canvas size of a cropped photo should be, record it in an action and then use that action on the folder of scans by means of ‘Automate – Batch’. That’s all.

I forgot: If the photos are not all the same format and/or the same orientation, you can still use ‘Canvas Size’, but then you need to use it with ‘Relative’ checked. Let’s say you want to remove 10 pixels from each side, then you use -20 pixels height and -20 pixels width, with Relative checked.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
P
Paul
Aug 20, 2007
There is another option if you use Photoshop CS*
File – Automate – Crop and Straighten Photos
Using this method the picture can be anywhere on the scan and could be included in your action.

Paul
U
usenet
Aug 21, 2007
Giovanni wrote:

There is a large amount of "DEAD BLACK" space on the photos. I am wishing to CROP the photos without doing them one by one. [..]

If the black part is the same on all of them, then you can do it as a batch. If it’s not, then you’ll have to manuall crop them.

If I had 20,000 scans to crop, and they all required the same crop, then I’d use ImageMagick’s mogrify command. (Cuz that’s pretty much exactly what it was designed to do.)

In Photoshop, you could set up an action that somehow used the magic wand to select the top-left-most pixel, inverted the selection, and then did a crop. Then run that 20,000 times. 🙂

http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html
MR
Mike Russell
Aug 22, 2007
Giovanni wrote:

There is a large amount of "DEAD BLACK" space on the photos. I am wishing to CROP the photos without doing them one by one. [..]

This response is late, but here goes.

If you can use the same crop rectangle location for all the images, or if you can sort the images into several groups that each require the same crop, the following procedure may work:

1) create a new action and record the crop for one image.
2) use Photoshop’s batch command, or create a droplet to apply the action to
all of the images.

As Paul suggests, if the crop varies- as it would be for example with scanned vertical and horizontal slides – you can use the magic wand tool to select a black portion of the image and do a crop based on that. In that case, the magic wand location must be the same for each image.

Actions are prone to failure at some point for large numbers of images. I’d split the images into folders and do a few hundred at a time, rather than tackle all 20,000 of them at once.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections