BK
Posted By
Bob Kern
Jul 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I understand that I can use the Open As command to save files as jpg for example and open them as psd. When I use the Open As command I receive a message that says cannot open as psd because it is not a valid photoshop document. What’s wrong?
Thanks
Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MM
Mac McDougald
Jul 30, 2003
You misunderstand the function.

Open As is for files that have no extension.

In other words, if you have a TIFF file named "MyPic", Windows doesn’t show it as a file type to open. Happens alot if getting files from a Macintosh user, as they often don’t use the extension .tif.

So you use Open As, choose TIFF, and it will open.
You are merely telling PS what the file type is.

To actually change from one file type to another, you must have file open, then use Save As.

Make sense?

Mac
P
Phosphor
Jul 30, 2003
Mac,

Reading your descripition, and then reading the Help description of Open As, I can see how the two do not conflict.

However, I never would have arrived at the correct conclusion by reading:

"(Windows) Choose File > Open As, and select the file you want to open. Then choose the desired format from the Open As pop-up menu, and click Open."

Thanks for the clue-in!

Byron
BK
Bob Kern
Jul 31, 2003
Mac
The book I read (Absolute Beginners Guide to PE2 by Lisa Lee) clearly states that you can convert a jpeg to a psd by using open as. As with most computer books I’ve read, looks like this one is wrong, too. I’ll use Save As as you suggest.
Thanks for your help.
Bob
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 31, 2003
My Mac doesn’t have Open As under the File menu. No wonder I was having trouble following this thread! 🙂
CS
carl sutherland
Jul 31, 2003
Me too Beth.

I also wanted to add that I have the Lee Book, just started using it, found one glaring error, and have not used it since. The beginners books I favor now is the "Visually" line on PE2 as well as the 50 Fast by Georges.

Carl
ML
Marty Landolt
Aug 2, 2003
BETH,
Reading the thread on Wilheim (Wall St Journal article) I realized that I owe you an apology. Quite some time ago I disagreed with you on how long one can expect pictures to last. You are so right about ways to keep pictures in good condition for a long long time. (Gulp…nearly choked on my previous words)
MartyL
BB
Bert Bigelow
Aug 2, 2003
Marty,
Beth is a good person. She would never make you eat your words! :o)
Bert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections