Posted By
exingo
Feb 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

1. Can someone just explain why I want to use Anti-Alias when making a
selection? I understand that it is supposed to make it blend easier with surroundings, but what does that really mean?

2. When would you not want to use anti-alias?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Feb 19, 2004
No need for antialiasing when the edges of your selection are perfectly vertical and perfectly horizontal. Any deviation from 0°, 90°, 180° or 270°—even if only a small amount— should have antialiasing applied.

Unless you specifically WANT the jaggedy stairstepped look, you should use antialiasing for any selection that has rounded or diagonal edges.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 19, 2004
Antialiasing is a method to recreate a shape at a higher resolution as a bitmap, then downsample it, say 4 times, so each screen pixel corresponds to 16 enlarged pixels (4 times 4). 16 black pixels become one black pixel. 16 white pixels become one white pixel. 16 pixels that are a mix of black and white become a corresponding shade of gray.

Antialiasing works on text — so long as yuou are using an outline font, paths, oval marquees, and the lasoo tool. A magic wand selection of an antialiased area with antialiasing on will simulate antialiasing by partially selecting the shaded pixels at the edge of the selection.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 19, 2004
Don’t get this confused with feathering which allows width variance of anti-aliasing either starting from the middle of an edge and expanding outward equally on either side or from one side inward.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 19, 2004
Feathering actully has nothing to do with antialiasing, and does not care if your selection was antialiased.

Think of a selection as a grayscale image (that’s what it is). Feathering is identical to blurring that image.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 19, 2004
Where is feathering terminology used in the tools of PS? Is it used in the Marque and Magic Wand tools? Where did I see where you could actually set the amount of pixels to feather from the edge of the selection? I’m probably getting confused in the terminology.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 19, 2004
You can have a selection make with the lasoo or marquee feathered by changing the tool options. You can also feather any selection with Select->Feather.

I like to work in the mask, by pressing Q to swith to quickmask. There, I can blur my selection selectively, feathering just the parts I want. Press Q to return to select mode and I’m in business.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 19, 2004
Great tip, Scott, thanks.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah, Quickmask is Photoshop’s best kept secret.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections