KN
Posted By
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is it with SP2, My computer does not work as well after doing the installation.

Things that are strange:

1. I cannot double-click on a desktop icon (alias) to open a program but now need to right-click and choose open.

2. I cannot drag and copy files by selecting them and holding down the control key. A plus sign shows, as usual, but the files are simply moved and no copy is left behind in the originating folder.

3. Some ‘iffy’ behavior on re-naming files, sometimes I can and sometimes the cursor will not move so I need to leave the folder as ‘untitled,’ re-boot and then I can rename at the system level.

Anyone else notice other problems?

Any fixes or work-arounds?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BobLevine
Sep 1, 2004
No problems here…on three different machines. They all run great.

Bob
O
Ol__Whozit
Sep 1, 2004
Bob, what Adobe apps are you running, and are you having any help file problems?

I’ve had to turn off MS automatic download and install over the SP2 thing, because of all the stories of lost help files and lost functionality with some Adobe products (which are the only ones I’m truly concerned about). You’re one of the first responses running on multiple machines with NO problems!

Are you running Norton on any of your machines?
B
BobLevine
Sep 1, 2004
No Norton and the Entire Creative Suite. I’m using AVG free for anti-virus and Zone Alarm for the firewall. The SP2 installer sees ZA as the firewall and leaves the Windows firewall off.

As for help files, F1 has never worked for me in InDesign so I have the file set as a favorite. I do get the security warnings in IE when opening the help, but that’s easily overriden.

I should note that the XP installs on all the machines were clean. They’re all Dells but I wiped them out and installed XP from CD as soon as I took them out of the box.

Bob
RM
Rick Moore
Sep 1, 2004
I haven’t had any problems with it. The help file ‘issue’ with Adobe apps (I run Illustrator and Photoshop) seems to be greatly exaggerated. You get a message saying ActiveX is not allowed but it doesn’t stop you from doing anything – you can turn it on and the only difference I’ve seen is the font size. I run Norton AV at work, Norton Internet Security at home but only use the AV portion

Rick Moore
Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects
www.bgkarchitects.com
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Sep 1, 2004
You’re one of the first responses running on multiple machines with NO problems!

No problems here, either, on two machines so far. Running a lot of different apps, Adobe and otherwise.

=-= Harron =-=
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 1, 2004
no help problems. but then i run mozilla, not internet destroyer.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 1, 2004
The help problem existed pre-SP2 and gives me a "No page to display" error.

I would run Mozilla too (I have it installed) but I don’t like the icon.

JJ 8)
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 1, 2004
but I don’t like the icon.

erm… %D
RH
r_harvey
Sep 1, 2004
"On average, 10.3% of the Windows XP-based machines will have an issue of some degree with SP2," said Steve O’Halloran, managing director of AssetMetrix Research Labs. "Or better put, they have the ‘opportunity’ for an issue to arise."

– Windows XP Service Pack 2: The 10% Problem < http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&n cid=1209&e=2&u=/cmp/20040901/tc_cmp/46200368> [news.yahoo.com]
B
BobLevine
Sep 1, 2004
Those same systems will likely have some other issue anyway.

Bob
CC
cma_cma
Sep 1, 2004
I had a seemingly OK upgrade to Win XP Pro Service Pack 2. (I have Norton Firewall on the computer.)

But then I tried to use Photoshop 7. I can open it and use it but now it frequently freezes the mouse and I have to do a bad shutdown-reboot. I never had such problems before the upgrade to Service Pack 2.
Would an upgrade to Photoshop CS help this problem?

If I upgrade, what is the best way to do it:

1) Uninstall Photoshop 7 and install Photoshop CS (probably no good, since Photoshop CS has to find Photoshop 7 on the HD.)

2) Install Photoshop CS in a separate folder and then uninstall Photoshop 7.

3) Install Photoshop CS over Photoshop 7. (But this runs the risk of keeping the Photoshop 7 files which in conflict with Windows XP Service Pack 2.)

Thanks, CMA
O
Ol__Whozit
Sep 1, 2004
I’m running 7, and won’t upgrade just because the old hippy in me still rebels against "da man" once in awhile, and the CS activarion thing and content scanning irk my anti-establishment memories…

But thanks for the info, those on CS should find it reassuring. As for me, my luck is such that I’ll be in that "10%" club. So, I guess I’ll just limp along without SP2.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 1, 2004
the old hippy in me

It’s still "hippie" where I come from.

Rob
ND
Nick_Decker
Sep 1, 2004
I am apparently in the "10% Club". Fortunately, I created an image of my C: drive before installing SP2.

After installing SP2, PS CS started acting weird, hesitating for a second or two before carrying out various simple commands, something that it was not doing before. I also had a boot-up problem with my machine. At one point, it booted to a blank screen with nothing but the mouse cursor. I could move the cursor, but the Windows key wouldn’t work, Ctrl-Alt-Del wouldn’t work, etc. Had to shut it down with the power button. When I booted it again, it took about 5 minutes to finally boot to my desktop and XP threw up an error message about "Windows has experienced a serious error." In my case, I think the serious error was in installing SP2. I immediately restored my previous image of SP1, and all is back to normal.

This is on a machine that has no anti-virus programs or firewalls installed. In fact, very little other than the several Adobe programs that I use (PS CS, Illustrator 10, GoLive 6). It’s never connected to the internet unless I have to download an update or reactivate something.

Myself, I plan to wait a while longer before trying SP2 again.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 1, 2004
I will keep limping along with SP2 with the possibility that if enough computers catch on fire that Bill Gates will send out an update to fix the problems.

I am glad that I use a Mac to do my actual work.
B
BobLevine
Sep 1, 2004
I am glad that I use a Mac to do my actual work.

So there’s no problems with any of those OS X updates? Do some research before you answer.

Bob
O
Ol__Whozit
Sep 2, 2004
Believe me, Rob, at this age in my life, "Hippy" is the correct spelling…middle-aged spread, don’t ‘cha know…sounds the same, but reads more truthfully…
RH
Ron Hunter
Sep 2, 2004
wrote:

Bob, what Adobe apps are you running, and are you having any help file problems?
I’ve had to turn off MS automatic download and install over the SP2 thing, because of all the stories of lost help files and lost functionality with some Adobe products (which are the only ones I’m truly concerned about). You’re one of the first responses running on multiple machines with NO problems!

Are you running Norton on any of your machines?

I have done the SP2 update on both my computers, and run Norton AV on both. No problems with Adobe software on either. Only one issue came up on the two machines, and it was resolved by downloading a later version of a PD program and installing.

I suspect that some people are either not following the instructions, or have other issues on their computers before installing the update.

A good cleanup, and defrag, before the update is wise, and turning off the AV and firewall software before running the update is also a good idea.
RH
Ron Hunter
Sep 2, 2004
John Joslin wrote:

The help problem existed pre-SP2 and gives me a "No page to display" error.
I would run Mozilla too (I have it installed) but I don’t like the icon.
JJ 8)

Try using Microangelo On Display. Make your own icons.
J
Jokester
Sep 6, 2004
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2004-09-0 2-sp2-vs- spyware_x.htm

It is always a good idea to clean before you install!

Jokester

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections